Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Elko
Why haven't we heard more about Mike Elko? He was mentioned early on as a possible target. He has a fairly good record of good defenses in the college ranks. He might not be at the Grantham level and he has no NFL experience, but I believe he's worth a look. He spent about 4 years in Bowling Green a while back and followed Dave Clawson to Wake Forest. He's only 42 and I believe a rising star.
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 10:50 AM)Phil in BG Wrote: Why haven't we heard more about Mike Elko? He was mentioned early on as a possible target. He has a fairly good record of good defenses in the college ranks. He might not be at the Grantham level and he has no NFL experience, but I believe he's worth a look. He spent about 4 years in Bowling Green a while back and followed Dave Clawson to Wake Forest. He's only 42 and I believe a rising star.

This guy and Rex Ryan are my favorites at this point, i liked Elko over Grantham especially after the way he handled his situation with us and the Gators. Elko had like the 2nd or 3rd best run Defense at Texas A&M and they weren't bad against the pass either. Dude knows how to put a good Defense on the field and call plays.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 02:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This guy and Rex Ryan are my favorites at this point, i liked Elko over Grantham especially after the way he handled his situation with us and the Gators. Elko had like the 2nd or 3rd best run Defense at Texas A&M and they weren't bad against the pass either. Dude knows how to put a good Defense on the field and call plays.

We looking into Rex now? Sorry if I missed something, been away.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 02:17 PM)Takedown Wrote: We looking into Rex now? Sorry if I missed something, been away.

Just rumors from Okeana's cousin and some others about Rex boarding a plane from Tennessee to Cincy.

Who knows but at this point i would be very happy with Rex even if i didn't like the guy at one point. Think he could do a great job here with our personnel. He can run a 3-4 or a 4-3 and knows the AFC North very well. This would be the way he could get back into the conversation of being a HC in the NFL again.
Reply/Quote
I just read Elko makes 1.8 million and the 3rd highest paid assistant in the country.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 06:20 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: I just  read Elko makes 1.8 million and the 3rd highest paid assistant in the country.

That is an impressive number, and one that would likely present a major obstacle to any sort of contract negotiations.  Unless Elko has a burning desire to coach in the NFL, it would seem very unlikely that the Bengals would be willing to beat, or even match that salary.  And, while his defense at A&M was 2nd in the Nation versus the run this season, they were 107th in defending the pass, resulting in 34th Nationally in total defense.  

With the NFL being a pass-heavy league, I'd like to see someone who put a little more emphasis on shutting down the passing game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Funny you mention Rex Ryan:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-sports-rex-ryan-bengals-20190214-story.html
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 01:22 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Funny you mention Rex Ryan:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-sports-rex-ryan-bengals-20190214-story.html

They do seem to make a rather compelling argument for Rex being a good choice.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think the fact the Ryan is such a strong personality, the fear is he would try to take over....
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 01:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think the fact the Ryan is such a strong personality, the fear is he would try to take over....

Take over?  Sure, I'd love for him to take over the defensive coordinator duties, helping us to take over the division, en-route to taking over as Superbowl Champions!   Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 12:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is an impressive number, and one that would likely present a major obstacle to any sort of contract negotiations.  Unless Elko has a burning desire to coach in the NFL, it would seem very unlikely that the Bengals would be willing to beat, or even match that salary.  And, while his defense at A&M was 2nd in the Nation versus the run this season, they were 107th in defending the pass, resulting in 34th Nationally in total defense.  

With the NFL being a pass-heavy league, I'd like to see someone who put a little more emphasis on shutting down the passing game.

Great point, didn't know his pass Defense was that bad.

Wanting Rex Ryan, Tressel or Steele as you mentioned in the other thread. Lots of options still.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 01:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Take over?  Sure, I'd love for him to take over the defensive coordinator duties, helping us to take over the division, en-route to taking over as Superbowl Champions!   Ninja

No, take over the whole show... while he has shown to be a good DC, he is not a good HC, but he does not realize that. Taylor needs people that will listen to him and do things the way he wants them, not someone who thinks they know better....
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 01:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think the fact the Ryan is such a strong personality, the fear is he would try to take over....

Or...be a lightning rod to keep storms off the house of Taylor.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Does anyone know if Rex Ryan would even be willing to be a DC?

People assume that, but after he had 2 HC jobs...I'm not so sure.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 08:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Does anyone know if Rex Ryan would even be willing to be a DC?

People assume that, but after he had 2 HC jobs...I'm not so sure.

Del Rio was willing.  Wade Phillips and Romeo Crennel were willing, Gregg Williams was willing, Mike Nolan is coaching LB's.  I'm sure there are others.  Mike Mularkey is an OLine coach.  Bill Callahan too.

If what they say about Rex wanting to coach again is true and no one is offering a HC job, or any other, for that matter, what better avenue would he have?  It's kinda how it works in the league.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

Ryan would definitely give our defense a new and much needed" Attitude". If Zac is so easily intimidated maybe he isn't the man for the job anyway.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 12:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is an impressive number, and one that would likely present a major obstacle to any sort of contract negotiations.  Unless Elko has a burning desire to coach in the NFL, it would seem very unlikely that the Bengals would be willing to beat, or even match that salary.  And, while his defense at A&M was 2nd in the Nation versus the run this season, they were 107th in defending the pass, resulting in 34th Nationally in total defense.  

Just out of curiosity, how much scratch does a DC in the NFL make? For some reason I can't imagine a college coach making more 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 09:59 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Just out of curiosity, how much scratch does a DC in the NFL make? For some reason I can't imagine a college coach making more 

Some of these big college programs pay their DC's $1.5 million+.

LSU's DC makes $2.5 million. Brett Venables makes $2.2 million. Kevin Steele from Auburn makes $2.05 million. Mike Elko makes $1.8 million.

I doubt we'd be willing to pay any of those guys considerably more than they make now. There were rumors that we were looking to pay $750k, but I doubt that's true.

Now Jim Leonhard makes $795k.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 09:59 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Just out of curiosity, how much scratch does a DC in the NFL make? For some reason I can't imagine a college coach making more 

The top DC’s in college make about 2 mil a yr. and Elko makes 1.8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
One sign of a great leader is a willingness to hire people who are smarter than he or she  and then letting that person do their job without being threatened by the smarter, more talented person.
Reply/Quote