Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Improving at LB
Nah.. they'll get out their handy dandy Cincinnati phone book, pick a name at random and ask, "You don't wanna play linebacker for us do ya?" 

That was my sales pitch as a kid selling christmas cards door to door in the dead of summer.. "You don't wanna buy any christams cards do ya?" Worked like a charm every time.. The answer was always the same.. NOPE! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, if Mike Brown can ever get a Defensive Coordinator to agree to work for him, maybe they can then focus on linebacker. It's so bad that I see homeless people with signs that say, " Will Work For Food, Will Not Work For Mike Brown ".
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2019, 04:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure.  I think it depends on what round he was drafted.

Littleton was UDFA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2019, 09:53 PM)John Shaft Wrote: Get rid of Burfict and keep Vigil as 3rd LBer ?
Burfict would get signed immediately by a load of teams. What good team would make the (helpless in space) Vigil their 3rd LB ?

Vigil played pretty well for being hurt most the year.
Reply/Quote
I think Vigil only looked gpod becsuse the others looked that INCOMPENT. Yeah Vigil has made strides
hes better in space. hes better at getting off blocks.
but he still lacks that ability to make crucisl stops on 3rd down.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 04:27 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think Vigil only looked gpod becsuse the others looked that INCOMPENT. Yeah Vigil has made strides

Vigil definately needs to get better shedding blocks, but i think the biggest thing our Linebackers need to do is learn to read plays. Burfict was great at this in his time and could diagnose a play before it happened, last year he was injured or was just plain done. A new LB coach and a new DC should really help our LB core.

That to go along with a couple more talented Linebackers is what this team desperately needs.

No more of QB's just dumping the ball on screens making our pass rush non extistent.

We need our Linebackers to come up and shut that shit down.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2019, 11:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Littleton was UDFA.

Wow, whoever is doing the scouting/personnel decisions for the Rams really knows what they're doing.  Unless he was a hard case like Burfict, it's pretty rare in this day to find that sort of talent in a UDFA.  Not saying that it doesn't happen, just that it almost seems like a Patriots type of personnel move to find someone with a very specific skill set that matches what they want, and yet that player is not really on anyone else's radar.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 04:27 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I think Vigil only looked gpod becsuse the others looked that INCOMPENT. Yeah Vigil has made strides

As your third best LB, not too bad.  If he's your best...well, let's just say we all saw that result.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 06:56 PM)McC Wrote: As your third best LB, not too bad.  If he's your best...well, let's just say we all saw that result.

Exactly how I see it. Nickerson should NEVER see the field except for special teams. I'd even be hesitant to put him out there then.

IF we can land Juwaun James at RT, we could draft White at MLB. I'd sign LJ Fort from the Steelers.

Then, IF we keep Burfict, we could rotate him in at MLB and OLB and limit his snaps to keep him healthy.

LB's would be Fort, White, and Vigil. 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 05:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wow, whoever is doing the scouting/personnel decisions for the Rams really knows what they're doing.  Unless he was a hard case like Burfict, it's pretty rare in this day to find that sort of talent in a UDFA.  Not saying that it doesn't happen, just that it almost seems like a Patriots type of personnel move to find someone with a very specific skill set that matches what they want, and yet that player is not really on anyone else's radar.

I had to go back and read NFLcom's scouting report on him because I didn't know where he came from.
He apparently played at Washington and was used mostly as an edge rusher. He also went in and out as a starter.
Interesting that he became an ILB and played 95% of the defensive snaps, most on the team. He's really grown since joining the NFL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It seems like lots of teams find LB's in lower rounds and occasionally undrafted who turn into good Pro's pretty early on atleast occasionally.

Pretty amazing how many guys we've drafted at LB who didn't turn into Good Pros.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 05:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wow, whoever is doing the scouting/personnel decisions for the Rams really knows what they're doing.  Unless he was a hard case like Burfict, it's pretty rare in this day to find that sort of talent in a UDFA.  Not saying that it doesn't happen, just that it almost seems like a Patriots type of personnel move to find someone with a very specific skill set that matches what they want, and yet that player is not really on anyone else's radar.

More luck than anything else.  They passed on him to take other LBs in the draft who did not work out.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 12:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It seems like lots of teams find LB's in lower rounds and occasionally undrafted who turn into good Pro's pretty early on atleast occasionally.

Pretty amazing how many guys we've drafted at LB who didn't turn into Good Pros.

It's a staggering list and whenever it is listed in black and white, it has to make Bengal fans everywhere cringe.  And what makes it even worse is if you add in the guys the Bengals were reported to have wanted but were picked right before we had the chance to take them and went on to be good to very good.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 12:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: More luck than anything else.  They passed on him to take other LBs in the draft who did not work out.

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. People seem to also forget we got Tez as a UDFA
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 12:47 PM)McC Wrote: It's a staggering list and whenever it is listed in black and white, it has to make Bengal fans everywhere cringe.  And what makes it even worse is if you add in the guys the Bengals were reported to have wanted but were picked right before we had the chance to take them and went on to be good to very good.

I have to think that atleast some of it were coaching. Some seems to be us targeting the big, plodding LB that can't really run. Like Maualuga was a good run stuffer, but not really good in coverage.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 01:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I have to think that atleast some of it were coaching. Some seems to be us targeting the big, plodding LB that can't really run. Like Maualuga was a good run stuffer, but not really good in coverage.

Yep.  Failing to, as the song says "roll with the changes."

Disclaimer--Not an REO fan AT ALL.  (I'm saying this to you, Bengal Rocker)

Reply/Quote

[Image: 2018_05.21_UDFA_Chart.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 01:50 PM)McC Wrote: Yep.  Failing to, as the song says "roll with the changes."

But then again, New England showed LA what happens when you go with light and fast linebackers..... they put a fullback in and ran it down their throat.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 01:50 PM)McC Wrote: Yep.  Failing to, as the song says "roll with the changes."

We go with the big, plodding LB.

Our DE's have to be like 6 foot 6+. The NFL seems to favor the shorter, quicker DE's that weigh like maybe 260. Lawson and Hubbard were departures from our normal preferences and I'd say both have bright futures.

What I like most about Hubbard is he's a high-motor/high effort guy. I'll take those traits any day...and eventually if you get enough of those guys, you will win. They will push each other in practice to improve.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 02:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We go with the big, plodding LB.

Our DE's have to be like 6 foot 6+. The NFL seems to favor the shorter, quicker DE's that weigh like maybe 260. Lawson and Hubbard were departures from our normal preferences and I'd say both have bright futures.

What I like most about Hubbard is he's a high-motor/high effort guy. I'll take those traits any day...and eventually if you get enough of those guys, you will win. They will push each other in practice to improve.

We made a big deal about departing from our old set physical measurements a couple years back. I wouldn't read into that stuff much anymore.
Reply/Quote