Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In 2003, Bengals Couldn't Reach Lewis to Hire Him Because He Dropped Phone in Toilet
They still hired him. This single act was a precursor to how his time here would be:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/1/4/10709990/looking-back-on-bengals-head-coaching-search-of-2003
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 04:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They still hired him. This single act was a precursor to how his time here would be:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/1/4/10709990/looking-back-on-bengals-head-coaching-search-of-2003

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
So Marvin was probably playing a game of snake while making a bucket of snakes. Awesome.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I remember hearing that story years ago, probably 2004 or 2005. I thought it was funny back then but knowing what we do now... Maybe we should have taken that as an omen and just hired Coughlin LOL

Ah coach Coughlin... What could have been. For the first few years of Marvin's tenure in Cincy and Coughlin's first few in New York, I thought we made the obvious better hire. I remember constantly teasing my Dad (a big Giants fan) about how they should have tried harder to hire Marvin over Coughlin... 14 years, two Coughlin Super Bowls and 7 one-and-dones with Marvin later...  My Lord, how wrong was I Rolleyes

I loved Marvin Lewis back then. I was ecstatic when we hired him and giddy as a school girl when they drafted my favorite college QB Carson Palmer. If you had told me back then how Marvin's career would have turned out and that he'd still be coaching without a single playoff win... To say I'd call you crazy would be an understatement. But it's reality. A cold, harsh bit of reality.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 04:59 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I remember hearing that story years ago, probably 2004 or 2005. I thought it was funny back then but knowing what we do now... Maybe we should have taken that as an omen and just hired Coughlin LOL

Ah coach Coughlin... What could have been. For the first few years of Marvin's tenure in Cincy and Coughlin's first few in New York, I thought we made the obvious better hire. I remember constantly teasing my Dad (a big Giants fan) about how they should have tried harder to hire Marvin over Coughlin... 14 years, two Coughlin Super Bowls and 7 one-and-dones with Marvin later...  My Lord, how wrong was I Rolleyes

I loved Marvin Lewis back then. I was ecstatic when we hired him and giddy as a school girl when they drafted my favorite college QB Carson Palmer. If you had told me back then how Marvin's career would have turned out and that he'd still be coaching without a single playoff win... To say I'd call you crazy would be an understatement. But it's reality. A cold, harsh bit of reality.

Coughlin had unresolved issues over the Personnel Dept. ie He either wanted a GM or to be the GM too.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown is the Coach Slayer.

Coughlin wouldn't have fared any better than Marvin.
Reply/Quote
Just think we may get another chance at Coughlin this year if he wants to step out of the press box and back on the field.....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 05:50 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Mike Brown is the Coach Slayer.

Coughlin wouldn't have fared any better than Marvin.

He would have probably at least won a couple playoff games. His team's would sure as hell have been more disciplined. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 04:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They still hired him. This single act was a precursor to how his time here would be:

I mean, if that's not a clear indication of how he and his teams would perform under pressure, I don't know what is.

Prime Time Games? Phone in the toilet.
Postseason games? Phone in the toilet.

Yup, that about sums it up.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
You remember the article a few years back when Mike Brown was known to mock Marvin about talking on a cell phone?

Perhaps the reporter failed to notice the "squat & drop" part of that mocking?

It's pretty bad when you're getting ridiculed by Magic Mike.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 06:43 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: You remember the article a few years back when Mike Brown was known to mock Marvin about talking on a cell phone?

Perhaps the reporter failed to notice the "squat & drop" part of that mocking?

It's pretty bad when you're getting ridiculed by Magic Mike.

In all fairness, Mike refers to the microwave as "that confounded devil's firebox."  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
I can't really criticize, as I have done that as well.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 06:06 PM)corpjet Wrote: Just think we may get another chance at Coughlin this year if he wants to step out of the press box and back on the field.....

Coughlin is 71 years old. No way he coaches again...here.

There were unresolved personnel department issues when he interviewed here last time. ie He either wanted a GM hired or to be the GM too. The Bengals won't give that control up.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2017, 07:55 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: In all fairness, Mike refers to the microwave as "that confounded devil's firebox."  

"I remember when Nikola and Thomas were trying to show me these newfangled gadgets.  Pfffft... losers!"

[Image: th?id=OIP.vhZwmUXcN3aYnd93oAVsdAEgDY&pid...=204&h=154]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Marvin seems like the kind of guy who would drop an 'Upper Decker' at a party then leave soon after while giggling on the drive home.
Reply/Quote
To bad he got his phone working.
Reply/Quote