Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In case you forgot about Carl Lawson..
(07-08-2019, 04:08 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Steroid abuse leads to a lot of soft-tissue injuries, especially at the joints.

Don't about 90% of all NFL injuries involve soft tissue in the joints?
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 04:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't about 90% of all NFL injuries involve soft tissue in the joints?

Maybe, I don’t know that statistic, but that should tell you about how the players make it to and perform at the level to be in the NFL? Although, some are using HGH or Testosterone, which have their own side effects.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 04:52 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Yes. What does that tell you about how the players make it to and perform at the level to be in the NFL?

Absolutely nothing.  Football players were having the exact same sort of injuries 50 years ago before anyone was taking steroids.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 04:52 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Maybe, I don’t know that statistic, but that should tell you about how the players make it to and perform at the level to be in the NFL? Although, some are using HGH or Testosterone, which have their own side effects.

Hey guys did you know Tom Brady uses steroids because he tore his ACL and obviously if you tear your ACL you are using steroids?

The reality is the ACL epidemic perplexes most medical professionals, but many attribute it to the power these guys are generating is out pacing what the human body can take. Not because it's artificially done but because our exercise science in general has gotten so much better over the last couple decades.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 09:09 AM)Au165 Wrote: Just in case people forgot about how good Carl Lawson is here is a mash up of him destroying left tackles. Obviously coming off the ACL he may not be 100% (Although today it's not uncommon to see) it is still worth remembering we missed him for half the season last year so that added pass rush we are getting back is kind of a big deal.

Also, this is a perfect example of why people shouldn't only judge pass rushers on sacks. In this video there are a couple plays he was 100% the cause of the sack, however he did not get credited for it.

I see Lawson is a young hungry guy who unfortunately got injured. Injuries happen in football. I am hoping he is back to 100% sooner than later. I think he can develop into a difference maker off the edge. I also like Glasgow for different reasons. I know another if, but when healthy also showed promise. I like the Wren pick to add to this group. 

Lot of ifs, but I am hopeful we see dramatic improvement with this group and they help our DB's by providing more pressure and keep OL off of of LBers in 2019. But, we need Geno and Dunlap to play like they have shown they can, I thought both had poor year in 2018.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 04:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Absolutely nothing.  Football players were having the exact same sort of injuries 50 years ago before anyone was taking steroids.

Players were taking steroids as early as the 60’s.

(07-08-2019, 04:59 PM)Au165 Wrote: Hey guys did you know Tom Brady uses steroids because he tore his ACL and obviously if you tear your ACL you are using steroids?

The reality is the ACL epidemic perplexes most medical professionals, but many attribute it to the power these guys are generating is out pacing what the human body can take. Not because it's artificially done but because our exercise science in general has gotten so much better over the last couple decades.

Brady tore both ACL’s in a 4 year period or just one in a 20 year career when a guy dove into his knee?
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 06:29 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Players were taking steroids as early as the 60’s.

And none of them had soft tissue injuries before then?

Football is the cause of soft tissue injuries, not steroids.  This is silly.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 06:29 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Brady tore both ACL’s in a 4 year period or just one in a 20 year career when a guy dove into his knee?

So are you claiming that no one hit Lawson to cause his ACL tears?
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 06:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So are you claiming that no one hit Lawson to cause his ACL tears?

I doubt I can find video of the exact two plays he got hurt on, the college one was during practice. Doesn’t change the fact he has season ending injuries in 3 out of last 5 years. That’s Eifert territory.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 06:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And none of them had soft tissue injuries before then?

Football is the cause of soft tissue injuries, not steroids.  This is silly.

Wow, even earlier than I thought, going back to the 40’s.

“Players who took the drugs suffered more disc herniations and injuries to their knees, elbows, necks, spines, feet, toes and ankles than those who didn’t use 'roids. For example, 21 percent of those who used the drugs said they'd suffered herniated discs, compared to 10 percent of players who didn’t take them. Nearly 31 percent of users hurt their elbows, versus 17 percent of non-steroid users. ”

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/news-blog/nfl-players-who-use-steroids-have-m-2009-02-20/
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 06:50 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Wow, even earlier than I thought, going back to the 40’s.

“Players who took the drugs suffered more disc herniations and injuries to their knees, elbows, necks, spines, feet, toes and ankles than those who didn’t use 'roids. For example, 21 percent of those who used the drugs said they'd suffered herniated discs, compared to 10 percent of players who didn’t take them. Nearly 31 percent of users hurt their elbows, versus 17 percent of non-steroid users. ”

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/news-blog/nfl-players-who-use-steroids-have-m-2009-02-20/

That article indicates that a lot of players suffer soft tissue injuries that never use steroids.

So how exactly do you tell if an injury is due to steroid use or not?

And you still have not explained how a cracked bone in Lawsons hip was caused by steroid use.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 06:48 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Doesn’t change the fact he has season ending injuries in 3 out of last 5 years. 

Only once in the last three years.

Not surprised at the spin you are trying to put on this.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 07:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only once in the last three years.

Not surprised at the spin you are trying to put on this.

Spin? I guess we could just say 1 in 1 year by your logic of lopping off the previous two.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 06:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That article indicates that a lot of players suffer soft tissue injuries that never use steroids.

So how exactly do you tell if an injury is due to steroid use or not?

And you still have not explained how a cracked bone in Lawsons hip was caused by steroid use.

“However, steroids can also contribute to the development of potentially serious and permanent effects, especially when they are taken in high dosages or for longer periods of time. One of these conditions is steroid-induced osteoporosis. It's well-known that steroids can contribute to bone loss. ”

https://www.verywellhealth.com/steroid-induced-osteoporosis-1942981

https://www.nps.org.au/australian-prescriber/articles/corticosteroid-induced-osteoporosis-and-fractures
Reply/Quote
Carl Lawson was on GMFB this morning. The interview wasn't that great though...

On Health: "Goal is week 1"
Sacking Aaron Rodgers
Anime
Losing Teeth vs Browns

Whole Interview.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/0ap3000001035238/Carl-Lawson-explains-why-anime-was-main-contributor-for-him-getting-into-football
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
There's a simple answer to this...… field turf. While the turf is more forgiving when you fall on it, the big disadvantage is that when you cut and change direction on it, or someone goes into your knee, the cleats are much more likely to hold than they would on grass. It makes it great for runners to cut, but puts more stress on the knees as a result. And when someone goes into your leg and your foot can't move, you're going to lost a knee.....
Reply/Quote
Steroid use has been around much longer than most people realize. As far back as the 1890s a pitcher who went by the name of "Pud" Galvin was using steroids or some form of it. It was first synthesized in 1935 and given to German soldiers, but animal testosterone had been used by athletes even in ancient times. 
We like to think it was only used around the 1980s or so, but the truth is far different from public perception. Since no real records were kept until recently there's really no way to know just how many of the great athletes in history used them.
Now, I'm not accusing anyone of using steroids now and in the case of Carl Lawson I have no idea. The only thing I do know is he was a pretty good defensive lineman. I have no idea of how he might play going forward which was my point in the earlier comment.. I never assume an injured player will fully recover to remain great forever.. Call it trolling if you must. I really don't care.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 08:01 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: “However, steroids can also contribute to the development of potentially serious and permanent effects, especially when they are taken in high dosages or for longer periods of time. One of these conditions is steroid-induced osteoporosis. It's well-known that steroids can contribute to bone loss. ”

https://www.verywellhealth.com/steroid-induced-osteoporosis-1942981

https://www.nps.org.au/australian-prescriber/articles/corticosteroid-induced-osteoporosis-and-fractures

Carl Lawson does not have osteoporosis.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 07:06 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Spin? I guess we could just say 1 in 1 year by your logic of lopping off the previous two.

So now 536 NFL players (over 30%) are as injury prone as Tyler Eifert?
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2019, 02:53 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: He has injury history predating his time in the league. It’s why he dropped in the draft. Knee and hip in college and missed most of preseason rookie season with a shoulder injury. Hmm, lots of soft tissue injuries...steroids anyone?

??????????????????

I don't get the connection. Aren't NFL players are tested multiple times a year for steroid use? I'm pretty sure they are.

Reply/Quote