Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In case you're interested..
Brian Tuohy's book, A Season in the Abyss: Sports Gambling vs. the NFL's Integrity is available to read on Kindle for free. If you're unaware, Brian is the guru of uncovering match fixing in the US. 
http://www.thefixisin.net/newsfeed.html The link is at the bottom of the first paragraph. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
One small bit from Brian's book on sports gambling in the US..
"It didn’t strike me until the plane lifted off. Here I was, a full-grown man able to drink, drive, vote, join the Army, sign a binding contract , see an R rated movie, and rent a car, yet I had to travel 1,500 miles from Milwaukee to Las Vegas in order to legally bet on a football game. There’s something not quite right about that. If I lived in the United Kingdom, I’d have over 9,100 legal, licensed bookmakers spread throughout the countryside from which to choose. But in America, land of the free? I had to take a four hour flight to arrive in a city where I could legally bet the Bengals -6.5 over the Titans."
He really goes out of his way to highlight the hypocrisy of NFL "policy"  about gambling on football.  While the league pretends to be dead set against gambling on football they also heavily promote fantasy leagues and the huge amount of gambling taking place with it..  Interesting stuff.. I have no qualms about gambling if it's what people want to do, but pretending that one form of gambling on games is somehow so much more immoral than others is the epitome of hypocrisy.  In no way is the NFL our moral compass. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote