Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In light of Damar Hamlin's injury, maybe Tom Brady should have retired.
I was always on Team Tom Brady vs Team Gisele Bündchen.
In addition, I was always skeptical about Andrew Luck retiring so soon.

But the events last night may have changed my mind.
Tom didn't need the money as he is reportedly going to get a big contract from Fox.

Gisele Bündchen was always complaining about worrying for Tom on the football field getting hurt.
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
This may be too soon, but this was a freak accident. And we aren't even sure it came from the relatively low intensity hit he took/dished.

Young people (in their 20's), athletes unfortunately and alarmingly drop dead all the time due to heart failure and issues that go undetected.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: This may be too soon, but this was a freak accident. And we aren't even sure it came from the relatively low intensity hit he took/dished.

Young people (in their 20's), athletes unfortunately and alarmingly drop dead all the time due to heart failure and issues that go undetected.

You’re right. We are putting too much weight on a freak accident. Millions/probably billions of collisions have occurred since the inception of pro ball, and no one has dropped because cardiac arrest (that I am aware of).

It’s so sad and I think it was handled correctly, but we can’t overextend the other 1 from a 1 in a billion incident.
Reply/Quote
Informed and shared decision making.

People should have the right to self determination if they know the risks. But, sometimes you have to protect people from themselves. Where that line is varies on a case by case basis. There is no one size fits all answer.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:20 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: I was always on Team Tom Brady vs Team Gisele Bündchen.
In addition, I was always skeptical about Andrew Luck retiring so soon.

But the events last night may have changed my mind.
Tom didn't need the money as he is reportedly going to get a big contract from Fox.

Gisele Bündchen was always complaining about worrying for Tom on the football field getting hurt.
To be honest it doesn't matter what age you are as was sadly proven last night. You can be the fittest person on the planet but if your body for some reason decides to react in an unexpected way there's absolutely nothing you can do to prevent it. The risks are obviously higher in a contact sport but those are more head / brain injuries which are becoming more frequent. Bodies are complex and fragile things . As for Tom Brady I think he's just so immersed in the game it's like a drug to him he can't kick. Many, many soccer players over here really struggle with depression when their careers finish because it's all they have known. From playing at a young age to becoming a professional,training and being around a collection of like minded players in a group scenario is their life. When it stops they have no idea how to replace that feeling . I very much doubt he'll continue after this season and maybe seeing last night might give him the nudge he needs. My prayers and hopes of a full and speedy recovery for Damar and love to his family and friends.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 06:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: This may be too soon, but this was a freak accident. And we aren't even sure it came from the relatively low intensity hit he took/dished.

There have been other Athlete's in other sport having similar incidents.    There has to be a more common link.

I think we will see lots of Younger Guys on the Back end of rosters re-evaluate how worth it it is.   We have already seen in the past few years healthy guys walk away.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:20 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: There have been other Athlete's in other sport having similar incidents.    There has to be a more common link.

I think we will see lots of Younger Guys on the Back end of rosters re-evaluate how worth it it is.   We have already seen in the past few years healthy guys walk away.

I hope not because of this. It’s beyond rare even if you include other sports. I’m now hearing football players being called gladiators who risk their life every time they walk on the field. It’s ridiculous.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Not true at all.
Nope. 
Reply/Quote