Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In order to REALLY fix the Bengals..
It's going to take a Managerial change. A change in philosophy upon how a professional sports team is run. Trust is going to have to be passed on to a modern football mind, and given full control to reshape the organization, to fit the design that he has in mind.

Giving an outside GM full control is a big step for the Bengals. Not only would they be giving an outsider full control of Football operations, he will likely also command a large salary. However, if you look at the traditional winners of the past 20 years, it's not tough to see that the smart money is invested into great coaching and scouting. Any serious GM candidate will require those freedoms, in order to even seriously consider accepting the position.

The increase in budget should easily be offset by selling out the stadium, every game of the year. And, by increased merchandise sales from fans old and new, jumping onto the "new generation" Bengals bandwagon.

It's a hard sell, for sure. But, what do the family members that will inherit the team have to lose? Nothing, as they inherited it to begin with. So, why not invest into Paul Brown's legacy, and start running the organization like a modern era sports franchise?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 09:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's going to take a Managerial change.  A change in philosophy upon how a professional sports team is run.  Trust is going to have to be passed on to a modern football mind, and given full control to reshape the organization, to fit the design that he has in mind.

Giving an outside GM full control is a big step for the Bengals.  Not only would they be giving an outsider full control of Football operations, he will likely also command a large salary.  However, if you look at the traditional winners of the past 20 years, it's not tough to see that the smart money is invested into great coaching and scouting.  Any serious GM candidate will require those freedoms, in order to even seriously consider accepting the position.

The increase in budget should easily be offset by selling out the stadium, every game of the year.  And, by increased merchandise sales from fans old and new, jumping onto the "new generation" Bengals bandwagon.  

It's a hard sell, for sure.  But, what do the family members that will inherit the team have to lose?  Nothing, as they inherited it to begin with.  So, why not invest into Paul Brown's legacy, and start running the organization like a modern era sports franchise?

Mike Brown doesn't want to be like other modern organizations.

He enjoys feeling like he is running a mom & pop store. He gets fulfillment from redemption situations like Adam Jones.

You can't keep guys like Adam Jones around if you are run like a modern era sports franchise.

Don't see change coming until he passes on.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 10:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Mike Brown doesn't want to be like other modern organizations.

He enjoys feeling like he is running a mom & pop store. He gets fulfillment from redemption situations like Adam Jones.

You can't keep guys like Adam Jones around if you are run like a modern era sports franchise.

Somehow I feel like Mike is going to retire this year.  His ego should demand him to see a couple of years of Katy running the store, to validate his parenthood.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Oh I fully agree Sunset,

The only way real change can happen is for Mike Brown to totally get out of the saddle. I just really doubt he'll do it !
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 10:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I fully agree Sunset,

The only way real change can happen is for Mike Brown to totally get out of the saddle. I just really doubt he'll do it !

Mike Brown was a child of privilege, I don't exactly see him dying at the job, like his Dad did.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 10:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Mike Brown was a child of privilege, I don't exactly see him dying at the job, like his Dad did.

I so hope, fingers crossed, you're right and he steps away. Really this time !

This team so badly needs a new direction, new blood, sweeping change.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 10:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Somehow I feel like Mike is going to retire this year.  His ego should demand him to see a couple of years of Katy running the store, to validate his parenthood.

That would be great. Forget for a second that Katie may be more of the same, at least its a change we could welcome until we see what happens. Hopefully the winning passion skipped a generation and landed on Katie. You know, she really isnt that hot anymore, but a SB would make her the most beautiful chick on earth. Plus, women can't stand when they think people are talking bad about them. So a bad season with fans raising torches would cause her to make a lot of changes. Ahhh heck, who am I kidding? Mike will live forever. It's part of the curse.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 10:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I so hope, fingers crossed, you're right and he steps away. Really this time !

This team so badly needs a new direction, new blood, sweeping change.

After the fluff about the 50th Anniversary season, and then the team came out lame, stadium 25% empty..  I'd say that he sees the writing on the wall.

(12-07-2017, 10:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That would be great. Forget for a second that Katie may be more of the same, at least its a change we could welcome until we see what happens. Hopefully the winning passion skipped a generation and landed on Katie. You know, she really isnt that hot anymore, but a SB would make her the most beautiful chick on earth. Plus, women can't stand when they think people are talking bad about them. So a bad season with fans raising torches would cause her to make a lot of changes. Ahhh heck, who am I kidding? Mike will live forever. It's part of the curse.

God bless you, Harley!  You're as anti PC as I am.  Anyway, I do believe that some traits skip a gene, just like pattern baldness, and Katie is worth giving a legitimate shot.  Hell, it's only our hopes and dreams at stake...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
You know...IF the Browns showed interest in Lewis for GM...I could see Mike Brown hiring him in that position for the Bengals to keep him away from them.

I think that's the only scenario I could see where he brought in a GM.

Supposedly Tobin functions as the GM though...and the Blackburns negotiate contracts though so I don't know that they'll ever bring in a GM.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 11:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You know...IF the Browns showed interest in Lewis for GM...I could see Mike Brown hiring him in that position for the Bengals to keep him away from them.

I think that's the only scenario I could see where he brought in a GM.

Supposedly Tobin functions as the GM though...and the Blackburns negotiate contracts though so I don't know that they'll ever bring in a GM.

It ain't working.  He's just a yes man to the family.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2017, 12:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It ain't working.  He's just a yes man to the family.

Yes. The big problem with family run businesses that are filled with employees who have worked there forever is group think. Basically people all have the same opinion after some time because they've been around each other so long.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 10:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Somehow I feel like Mike is going to retire this year.  His ego should demand him to see a couple of years of Katy running the store, to validate his parenthood.

While that would be great and the right thing to do, I just don't see it happening.... Just to stubborn
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2017, 12:48 PM)sandwedge Wrote: While that would be great and the right thing to do, I just don't see it happening.... Just to stubborn

Holding games before a half empty stadium might motivate them to see things differently..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2017, 12:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. The big problem with family run businesses that are filled with employees who have worked there forever is group think. Basically people all have the same opinion after some time because they've been around each other so long.

Oh, you're absolutely right.  We've done a great job at diagnosing and identifying the problem, now if we could only convince them to fix it.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2017, 12:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh, you're absolutely right.  We've done a great job at diagnosing and identifying the problem, now if we could only convince them to fix it.

You don't fix this kind of problem - you eliminate it.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
There are a ton of parallels, most all negative, to be drawn between the way UK has treated football and the way the Bengals run things. The Reds too while I'm at it. The one thing I have never been able to wrap my mind around is why their respective big wigs fail to see that paying the money upfront to field a winner is going to give them a bigger return on investment than just meeting the baseline and banking on fan loyalty. It's simple....you might get 20-30K at GABP or 40K-50K at PBS fielding middling/.500 teams. And that's all nice and well. But if we're willing to pony up for that.....why on Earth can you not see that if you put MORE into the roster, the front office, team management, scouting....etc.....that you're going to make even more money by fielding a winning team? Seems like basic business sense where you get a greater return on investment by biting the bullet and paying the cost upfront.

I'm definitely more of a college guy when it comes to the finer points of things, so if there's something I'm missing, by all means guys please educate me. It just seems stupid to settle by not pumping money into scouting, having a GM, etc etc. Banking on fan loyalty to pay the bills and having a "well, that's good enough" attitude...just seems like a load of bull to me.

I took a new job last year so it's been almost two full seasons since I have been able to get up to Cincy to watch the Bengals in person from Lexington. Unfortunately I have to work Sundays. Once was a time where I wouldn't have even considered a job that interfered with watching the Bengals live. Now, I either listen or watch online at work or DVR the game and try to avoid updates. If MB isn't going to make competing and winning a priority, then why should I make watching them in person or at home a priority when I stand to make more money by working on Sundays?

Feel free to tell me if I'm off base. These are just my impressions of how things are going in the Jungle.
[Image: 6zwk79.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 10:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Mike Brown doesn't want to be like other modern organizations.

The thing is, he could still step in and overrule the GM on certain decisions, if he feels so inclined. I think Brown honestly sees himself as a GM and until he steps down completely, we're not getting a GM.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2017, 01:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: The thing is, he could still step in and overrule the GM on certain decisions, if he feels so inclined. I think Brown honestly sees himself as a GM and until he steps down completely, we're not getting a GM.

Which is why my plan includes Mike Brown retiring, and giving over full control to Katie, Troy and the gang.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Mike, retire? Is this the same stubborn, Scrooge that I know? He will have to die to relinquish power. A half empty stadium won’t matter because all of the NFL is facing backlash now. Mike knows that with NFL profit sharing that he’s making bank regardless if there’s a thousand fans every week. He has a golden goose and he knows it.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2017, 09:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's going to take a Managerial change.  A change in philosophy upon how a professional sports team is run.  Trust is going to have to be passed on to a modern football mind, and given full control to reshape the organization, to fit the design that he has in mind.

Giving an outside GM full control is a big step for the Bengals.  Not only would they be giving an outsider full control of Football operations, he will likely also command a large salary.  However, if you look at the traditional winners of the past 20 years, it's not tough to see that the smart money is invested into great coaching and scouting.  Any serious GM candidate will require those freedoms, in order to even seriously consider accepting the position.

The increase in budget should easily be offset by selling out the stadium, every game of the year.  And, by increased merchandise sales from fans old and new, jumping onto the "new generation" Bengals bandwagon.  

It's a hard sell, for sure.  But, what do the family members that will inherit the team have to lose?  Nothing, as they inherited it to begin with.  So, why not invest into Paul Brown's legacy, and start running the organization like a modern era sports franchise?

They are not going to change what isn't broke. As long as the money keeps coming in, they don't give a shit who it hurts.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote