Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In regard to listening to what Bengals Officials/Coaches say Pre-Draft
It's all smoke.

They all lie.

I have seen several references to things such as "Duke Tobin said this so, "yadda" is clearly what's going to happen."

Don't be suckers. These people lie. It's all smoke or ambiguous non-sense.

Don't listen to Duke. Don't listen to Taylor. And don't for the love of all things holy read or listen to anything on bengals.com. It's all lies. It's all smoke.

Makes me shake my head that people need reminded of this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 10:03 PM)Stewy Wrote: It's all smoke.

They all lie.

I have seen several references to things such as "Duke Tobin said this so, "yadda" is clearly what's going to happen."

Don't be suckers.  These people lie.  It's all smoke or ambiguous non-sense.

Don't listen to Duke.  Don't listen to Taylor.  And don't for the love of all things holy read or listen to anything on bengals.com.  It's all lies.  It's all smoke.

You mean we aren't over the cap by $80 million and can't sign our draft picks?  Damn that Hobson! What a bastard!

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
Well, I remember a bunch of heads blowing up when Hobson wrote a piece forecasting the focus on defense in free agency this year. I know my head was one of them. Turns out he was right. And heads are still blowing up. LOL
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2021, 11:06 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Well, I remember a bunch of heads blowing up when Hobson wrote a piece forecasting the focus on defense in free agency this year. I know my head was one of them. Turns out he was right. And heads are still blowing up. LOL

Hang on... what if we've had it all wrong?  What if Hobson isn't just a mouth piece for the front office?  What if this "Hob-Son" doesn't even exist?  What a Mike Brown move this would be!  Why pay a reporter when he can use that Dartmouth education and just bang out a few articles while he's on the can?  He has been hiding in plain site all these years!  "HOB-Son".. "Head Of Bengals son".  Damn it!  We've all been played by a master.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
https://media4.giphy.com/media/3o6gaSrxRenaSUiqic/giphy.gif
Reply/Quote

They all lie.

Don't listen to Duke.  Don't listen to Taylor.  And don't for the love of all things holy read or listen to anything on bengals.com.  It's all lies.  It's all smoke.

lol because the bengals have been so good at smoke screens almost everyone knows who we are gonna pick before we draft
Reply/Quote

They all lie.

People overplay the "smokescreen" card, sometimes it is simply a truthful evaluation of the circumstances. What he said matches with the evaluation everyone in the world already knows. The OL is very deep and there are starters on day 2. The WR class is not as deep as he mentions. 

I think it's pretty clear they are taking a receiving option (Chase/Pitts) at 5 unless something crazy happens at 4 or they get a trade back opportunity. Why? Because they only have 3 WR's currently on the roster that has more than 50 NFL receptions in their career. I think what you saw from Tobin more or less explained why that is occurring. As a single statement, you can say smoke screen I guess, but the actions speak louder than the words. Now if you see them sign another WR heading into the draft, that would signal a change in plans in my mind. 
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are unlike any other team in the NFL. They completely lack that deceptive edge. Every year, every single team knows who they want to draft, at least in the first round. You saw it with Detroit trading right in front of our face to take Ragnow, forcing out FO to panic and overdraft Billy Price.

The reason for this is, among other things, Dave Lapham is allowed to literally look at their draft board a few days before the draft and he always "predicts" the pick based on looking at the draft board.

It's great for fans who want the suspense to end, but it's terrible for overall draft strategy haha.

So, yea, I think the Bengals FO is not competent enough to spread smoke or lies. At least not effectively.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 08:57 AM)Au165 Wrote: People overplay the "smokescreen" card, sometimes it is simply a truthful evaluation of the circumstances. What he said matches with the evaluation everyone in the world already knows. The OL is very deep and there are starters on day 2. The WR class is not as deep as he mentions. 

Right, which is exactly what I was saying.....Tobin has been saying NOTHING, yet people are drawing absolute conclusions from it and that is what my post is about......not listening to management and drawing conclusions because your drawing conclusions on air and smoke and nothing.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 09:34 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The Bengals are unlike any other team in the NFL. They completely lack that deceptive edge. Every year, every single team knows who they want to draft, at least in the first round. You saw it with Detroit trading right in front of our face to take Ragnow, forcing out FO to panic and overdraft Billy Price.

The reason for this is, among other things, Dave Lapham is allowed to literally look at their draft board a few days before the draft and he always "predicts" the pick based on looking at the draft board.

It's great for fans who want the suspense to end, but it's terrible for overall draft strategy haha.

So, yea, I think the Bengals FO is not competent enough to spread smoke or lies. At least not effectively.

Sorry, CJD, but that was the ONLY time that shows outsiders like us, that the league knew what they were taking.

Never before has someone traded up to one spot before us, to get a guy we were coveting; it has always been speculation and nothing more.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 09:42 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Sorry, CJD, but that was the ONLY time that shows outsiders like us, that the league knew what they were taking.

Never before has someone traded up to one spot before us, to get a guy we were coveting; it has always been speculation and nothing more.

Which of course is speculation on your part because you have no direct proof.

We all think we know what the Bengals will do, yet when we have a pick outside the top 10, the variability in the mocks show we (and the professional mocks) know not at all what the Bengals will do.

Whatever.....as I said, my point was that people (a few - not great droves of us) are over reacting and drawing conclusions based upon statements which have no substance.
Reply/Quote
It's hard to tell.

DET jumping CIN for Ragnow in 2018 is an example of where it was pretty telling the Bengals were going C, but that's because they really didn't have a competent one on the roster.

But in 2019, the Steelers jumped in front of the Bengals to take Devin Bush, presumably because they thought the Bengals were going LB. Instead, the Bengals got Jonah Williams, who I think was the better player anyway.

"Technically," the Bengals could claim they don't have any dire needs, assuming they have any comfortability of Tate being WR3 and both Spain and XSF starting at OG. But it's pretty clear WR and OL are probably their priorities this draft. What order they pick them in is what's not known.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 09:42 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Sorry, CJD, but that was the ONLY time that shows outsiders like us, that the league knew what they were taking.

I don't have any proof, but that 2019 draft when the Steelers traded their 20th and 52nd pick (and 3rd in next draft) to Denver for the 10th pick to grab Devin Bush right before the Bengals picked at 11 sure felt exactly like they knew the Bengals wanted and needed Bush.  Again no proof, but I remember raging hard about that.

Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 10:23 AM)Burma Wrote: I don't have any proof, but that 2019 draft when the Steelers traded their 20th and 52nd pick (and 3rd in next draft) to Denver for the 10th pick to grab Devin Bush right before the Bengals picked at 11 sure felt exactly like they knew the Bengals wanted and needed Bush.  Again no proof, but I remember raging hard about that.

I think we as fans wanted Bush, but the team was all-in on Jonah from the beginning.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 10:27 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I think we as fans wanted Bush, but the team was all-in on Jonah from the beginning.

That is a hard thing for fans to get thru their head. Just because they don't take who we wanted, they must be incompetent.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 09:40 AM)Stewy Wrote: Right, which is exactly what I was saying.....Tobin has been saying NOTHING, yet people are drawing absolute conclusions from it and that is what my post is about......not listening to management and drawing conclusions because your drawing conclusions on air and smoke and nothing.

Huh? So are they lying or not, which one is it?
Reply/Quote
Jacksonville, New York, and San Francisco are each taking QBs. 100%. If a team trades with Atlanta, it will undoubtedly be for a QB - given the amount of draft capital that would have to be offered up for the trade.

Long story short, the Bengals may be first up to pick a non-QB. So what purpose does a smokescreen serve?
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 12:12 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Huh? So are they lying or not, which one is it?

That's the point.  They're using lawyer language, saying a lot by saying nothing we don't already know and leaving key information out.  Is omission lying?  Is purposefully misleading, by not telling the whole truth lying?

Look I don't take it personally, but I also don't listen to them because I know they aren't going to give me any meaningful information by omission or deception.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 12:31 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Jacksonville, New York, and San Francisco are each taking QBs.  100%.  If a team trades with Atlanta, it will undoubtedly be for a QB - given the amount of draft capital that would have to be offered up for the trade.  

Long story short, the Bengals may be first up to pick a non-QB.  So what purpose does a smokescreen serve?

Well if that's your attitude and what you believe, then send an email to Duke Tobin and ask him for a look at the Bengals big board.  If it's so obvious what the Bengals are going to do, then I'm sure he'll be more than happy to give a dedicated fierce fan a tour of the draft room.  

Good luck with that.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2021, 12:31 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Jacksonville, New York, and San Francisco are each taking QBs.  100%.  If a team trades with Atlanta, it will undoubtedly be for a QB - given the amount of draft capital that would have to be offered up for the trade.  

Long story short, the Bengals may be first up to pick a non-QB.  So what purpose does a smokescreen serve?

To make sure a team that wants Chase more or Sewell more or Pitts more isn't the team that trades with Atlanta and takes that player? Atlanta moved up to take Julio Jones. Houston gave up a 1st round pick for Tunsil, teams do trade up for more then just QBs. Especially if it is a premier position like LT.

I know there will be some (already others in this thread) who will say Jonah was the target and not Bush but if that is really true, Pitt spent a lot of draft capital to move up in front of us for no reason. 

It isn't like the front office is going to come out and say, we wanted Bush but we settled for Jonah... that's just a bad look all around.

I think the team is trying to keep hidden which of the big 3 names they are really after... might even be a name we don't expect at the top of their list.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote