Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In your opinion, what should we draft with our first 5 picks?
A dream scenario would look like this:

1: Devin White

2: Dalton Risner/Chris Lindstrom

3: A quality DT, TE, or Andy Isabella

4: Another LB

5: Another interior lineman.

Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
A playmaking stone cold game changer at LB..

2nd pick a franchise LT.

3rd pick a TE that can seperate from lb'ers and safties.

4th pick QB to be Daltons successor

5th pick a WR that can stretch the field and push John Ross and return kicks
Reply/Quote
I think a lot may just depend on how or if they'll do some trading to move up in draft position. Example, If they want White badly enough would he be worth trading to get the #1 spot or risk it to another team before they even have a shot.. Just who could or would they be willing to part with to get him? Would such a move significantly weaken them somewhere else? Still a lot to consider here as always.. As usual just because you might want them to pull off such trades doesn't necessarily mean the teams ahead of us are willing to do it. Many fans seem to think trades are automatic and just wanting them to happen should be enough.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You wonder the later they get in the draft if they still go with the best available, or if they draft for need. I just don’t want to see us get to the 6th round and see killers best available being someone we don’t have a need for while a guy we could really use is 5 spots down from best available. Marvin was notorious for taking best available even if it was someone we didn’t have a need for
Reply/Quote
Four guys who can start at RT, RG, LB and LB, in no particular order, and a TE.

Of course, the team could fill one or two of those positions in free agency, but they'll need to do a better job of it than they did with Hart.

Reply/Quote
I'm thinking OT, OG LB, LB and BPA among CB, WR, TE, DL.. A lot depends on IF they decide to move up (or down) in draft order as well.. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 12:49 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Four guys who can start at RT, RG, LB and LB, in no particular order, and a TE.

Of course, the team could fill one or two of those positions in free agency, but they'll need to do a better job of it than they did with Hart.

I could be wrong, but I think Hart was nothing more than a stopgap player hoping to snag someone better this year. Likely he won't be with the Bengals in 2019 along with several others.. 

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 09:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well man, you've got 8 positions listed for 5 selections.  Somebody is going to get left out..

What many of us have been discussing for a while now, is the fact that we're simply not going to fill every need through the draft.  In order to replenish the roster, the team is going to have to make better utilization of free agency.  I'm not talking about overpaying for guys on their last legs, they need to make smart choices and spend a little extra for some players that are still hungry, and looking forward to being a part of something big.

Yep,

There's a lot of things up in the air still, bunch of questions ? A lot depends on what they do in free agency ? But at any rate I don't really see how they can't go Oline amd Lber heavy at the top of the draft !
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 08:27 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's really impossible to say outside of depth fills until we see what they do in FA.  Hart, Og, and Fisher are all UFA's, so we're looking at one OT minimum in the first 4 rounds.  Probably the same at TE with Eifert, Kroft, and Uzomah all UFA's.

This pretty much.

There are to many open spots to lock down positions in the draft...and really it's not about picking positions as much as it's about picking the right players.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'm still in the camp that this team isn't that far away from being 10-6 or 11-5.

Offense: RG, RT, TE
Defense: LB

The defense was historically bad under Austin, but played very well against some good teams at the end of the year. A coverage LB is a must get in the draft.

On offense, the line killed the offense. We need to get a legit RT and find a way to plug the interior holes. If that means drafting a C and moving Price to RG, then so be it. Either way, you get 4 good players at those spots, this team will look pretty damn good on paper.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 12:56 AM)grampahol Wrote: I could be wrong, but I think Hart was nothing more than a stopgap player hoping to snag someone better this year. Likely he won't be with the Bengals in 2019 along with several others.. 

Yes, Hart was a stop gap guy, but they need to get actual starters, not cast offs who shouldn't be starting.

We don't know how the team will approach free agency yet. The old, worshipping of the comp pick method has failed to acquire starting caliber upgrades in free agency.

Reply/Quote
I'd like to see two OL, 1-2 LBs, a TE, and maybe DT if only one LB selected.
I'd like to see (at least) one quality starter OL and LB picked up through FA.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
If this was my draft, I'd go OT, prefer Ford, don't think White will be available and in Rd2 get best LB available. Rd 3 look at 3 positions, OG, TE or DB.
Reply/Quote
OT Dalton Risner  FLA.

LB Devin White LSU or Ulysees Gilbert Akron

OT Jonah Williams or Olisaemeka Udoh- ELON
I might throw  Khalil Hodge in the mix for LB -Buffalo
Reply/Quote
LB-White
DB-Adderley
RT-Edoga
TE-Kaden Smith
LB-Chase Hansen

in that order.

This is sort of my pre-combine Mock draft.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Is there any chance greedy Williams slips to us, if he does do we take him over white? Greedy is projected top 10
Reply/Quote
In no particular order:

1. Linebacker
2. Right tackle
3. Offensive guard
4. Tight end
5. Left tackle

I know that's 3 picks for the offensive line, but it's needed.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 12:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd like to see two OL, 1-2 LBs, a TE, and maybe DT if only one LB selected.
I'd like to see (at least) one quality starter OL and LB picked up through FA.

I agree with you, there's no way that they fill all of the starting spots through the draft alone.  This year, it's going to take being aggressive in free agency, in order to put the roster back into good shape.

Coach Taylor certainly will have his hands full, taking over a team completely depleted of the fundamental positions of blockers and tacklers.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 08:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with you, there's no way that they fill all of the starting spots through the draft alone.  This year, it's going to take being aggressive in free agency, in order to put the roster back into good shape.

Coach Taylor certainly will have his hands full, taking over a team completely depleted of the fundamental positions of blockers and tacklers.

They are going to have to drop some money in FA to plug holes.  I mean, you're generally looking at your first and maybe 2nd round picks being able to be counted on as a decent week 1 starter, depending on position and if you hit on the pick.  If we're hoping for a guy who can be an immediate starter with our 3rd round pick, we're not in good shape.

We're probably looking at 2 LB's, RG, RT, TE, and nickel CB if we're being safe.  Maybe the new staff will watch game film and wonder "WTF are they doing starting Redmond over Westerman?"  That would knock RG off the list.  

With the wholesale coaching changes, there should be guys who show improvement.  Otherwise, why change coaches?  So there may be guys currently on the roster who flip the switch and turn things around.  Conversely, there are probably going to be guys who struggle with the new system that were good under Marvin and Co.  A lot of our success next year is going to hinge on Taylor and the staff being able to identify current players who don't fit and jettisoning them for picks and or cap dollars to get guys that do.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 09:18 PM)Whatever Wrote: They are going to have to drop some money in FA to plug holes.  I mean, you're generally looking at your first and maybe 2nd round picks being able to be counted on as a decent week 1 starter, depending on position and if you hit on the pick.  If we're hoping for a guy who can be an immediate starter with our 3rd round pick, we're not in good shape.

We're probably looking at 2 LB's, RG, RT, TE, and nickel CB if we're being safe.  Maybe the new staff will watch game film and wonder "WTF are they doing starting Redmond over Westerman?"  That would knock RG off the list.  

With the wholesale coaching changes, there should be guys who show improvement.  Otherwise, why change coaches?  So there may be guys currently on the roster who flip the switch and turn things around.  Conversely, there are probably going to be guys who struggle with the new system that were good under Marvin and Co.  A lot of our success next year is going to hinge on Taylor and the staff being able to identify current players who don't fit and jettisoning them for picks and or cap dollars to get guys that do.

I'm hoping the O-Line coach is solid and they give him the tools to succeed.

PA really set this team back with his bad picks and they're going to need to ditch lost cause guys like Hart because he brought the same horrid play to this team from his last and didn't improve.

I'd really like to see a mid-level experienced FA lineman like Clint Boling brought in at either RG or RT to play with draft picks.

Boling is not some kind of world beater but he gets the job done and is versatile.

I'm also convinced, for the money, the could get a player better than Glenn at LT.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote