Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In your opinion, what should we draft with our first 5 picks?
(01-29-2019, 09:41 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm hoping the O-Line coach is solid and they give him the tools to succeed.

PA really set this team back with his bad picks and they're going to need to ditch lost cause guys like Hart because he brought the same horrid play to this team from his last and didn't improve.

I'd really like to see a mid-level experienced FA lineman like Clint Boling brought in at either RG or RT to play with draft picks.

Boling is not some kind of world beater but he gets the job done and is versatile.

I'm also convinced, for the money, the could get a player better than Glenn at LT.

That's the scariest part.  If they move from him, we would have zero (0) offensive tackles under contract, but I also feel like they could get so much more with that same money.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 10:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's the scariest part.  If they move from him, we would have zero (0) offensive tackles under contract, but I also feel like they could get so much more with that same money.

I think they'll keep him just for that fact.  Hopefully he'll have a turnaround healthy off season.

It'll just suck if Boling has to swing back to LT if Glenn has issues again.

It sure would be nice if they shored up that left side and only had to focus on fixing RT/RG.

If it were my decision I'd keep Hopkins around too for Center backup or to start if Price struggles.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 10:46 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I think they'll keep him just for that fact.  Hopefully he'll have a turnaround healthy off season.

It'll just suck if Boling has to swing back to LT if Glenn has issues again.

It sure would be nice if they shored up that left side and only had to focus on fixing RT/RG.

If it were my decision I'd keep Hopkins around too for Center backup or to start if Price struggles.

I agree with pretty much all of your thoughts on what they should/will do with the OL.  Personally, I think they would be wise to sign a proven vet to start at RT, as well as perhaps an aging vet to play swing to backup both spots.  Then, they could draft a pair of tackles, one high, one later, to develop.  If the high pick earns a starting spot, then great.

On the interior, I'd love to see them draft a great Guard, but we may have to push that to later in the draft.  Might be wise to sign a journeyman at that position, too.  I'm really counting on Billy Price to be fully healthy, and anxious to perform this year. (or, at least I'm hoping) and Trey Hopkins can be the fall back.  I'd like to think that Westerman is still valuable to the new coach, but it might appear as Redmond might have had his chance and failed.  Lot's of work for the new coaches to contemplate on the OL..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 09:41 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm hoping the O-Line coach is solid and they give him the tools to succeed.

PA really set this team back with his bad picks and they're going to need to ditch lost cause guys like Hart because he brought the same horrid play to this team from his last and didn't improve.

I'd really like to see a mid-level experienced FA lineman like Clint Boling brought in at either RG or RT to play with draft picks.

Boling is not some kind of world beater but he gets the job done and is versatile.

I'm also convinced, for the money, the could get a player better than Glenn at LT.

Ja'wuan James from the fins would be a good mid tier RT.  

Glenn is tough.  If he played the way he did early in the year before injuries set in, he'd be worth it.  Problem is, he always seems banged up.  I just don't know that we can move on unless we have his replacement.  Even though he's overpaid, he's still serviceable.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 11:44 PM)Whatever Wrote: Ja'wuan James from the fins would be a good mid tier RT.  

Glenn is tough.  If he played the way he did early in the year before injuries set in, he'd be worth it.  Problem is, he always seems banged up.  I just don't know that we can move on unless we have his replacement.  Even though he's overpaid, he's still serviceable.

This.  I'm kind of the minority, but I think both Glenn and Preston Brown are better players than they were able to show last season due to injuries.  They both started off well, then were injured early.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 12:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: This.  I'm kind of the minority, but I think both Glenn and Preston Brown are better players than they were able to show last season due to injuries.  They both started off well, then were injured early.

Glenn was as expected until he got banged up, then everyone got down on him.  Honestly, I think we have to keep him.  It's nearly impossible to land 2 quality starting T's in one FA period and you don't want to go into the draft basically having to take the best T available at 11.  Keep Glenn, sign a good FA RT, and hopefully snag a T in the first 3 rounds for depth and to groom as Glenn's replacement.  If Glenn stays healthy, we're golden.  If not, you can at least scheme to help him if you can solidify the right side.

Brown's a good player, but he's not the sideline to sideline man coverage LB people are thirsting for.  I've got no issue with him being brought back.  Last thing I want to see is Nickerson's sad ass starting again.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 01:54 PM)Whatever Wrote: Glenn was as expected until he got banged up, then everyone got down on him.  Honestly, I think we have to keep him.  It's nearly impossible to land 2 quality starting T's in one FA period and you don't want to go into the draft basically having to take the best T available at 11.  Keep Glenn, sign a good FA RT, and hopefully snag a T in the first 3 rounds for depth and to groom as Glenn's replacement.  If Glenn stays healthy, we're golden.  If not, you can at least scheme to help him if you can solidify the right side.

Brown's a good player, but he's not the sideline to sideline man coverage LB people are thirsting for.  I've got no issue with him being brought back.  Last thing I want to see is Nickerson's sad ass starting again.

Agreed on all accounts.  

If they can't upgrade Brown in FA, I'd bring him back.  Nickerson is PS type of player.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 03:15 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed on all accounts.  

If they can't upgrade Brown in FA, I'd bring him back.  Nickerson is PS type of player.

I think you are being generous to Nickerson.... 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 03:55 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I think you are being generous to Nickerson.... 

Nickerson is like XFL backup material.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 01:54 PM)Whatever Wrote: Glenn was as expected until he got banged up, then everyone got down on him.  Honestly, I think we have to keep him.  It's nearly impossible to land 2 quality starting T's in one FA period and you don't want to go into the draft basically having to take the best T available at 11.  Keep Glenn, sign a good FA RT, and hopefully snag a T in the first 3 rounds for depth and to groom as Glenn's replacement.  If Glenn stays healthy, we're golden.  If not, you can at least scheme to help him if you can solidify the right side.

I pretty much agree about them keeping Glenn for the fact that landing two competent starting Tackles in FA is going to be tough('cause... Bengals).

I'm on board signing a decent RT and drafting either Tackle/Guard/or Center if they wanted to move Price to RG.

They should probably go ahead and sign Andre Smith in the mix too.  Perhaps cut him if they do well in the draft.

I think they should keep Brown too and go out and get a coverage LB.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 07:39 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: Like most of you, I’m pumped and ready for the zac Taylor era to begin. My question is in order of need, what do you feel we need to draft with the first 5 picks? One thing that has me worried is the redskins are interested in Andy dalton, and I don’t want Tannehill nor do I think there is a qb worthy of the 11th over all pick. Does anyone think we would actually trade Andy to the redskins? In my opinion I think we need the following

1. Linebacker- really like white from LSU if he’s there
2. Right tackle/guard
3. Secondary- cb or safety denard being a fa, and Kirkpatrick is kind of slipping. He’s still good but if we can upgrade I’m all for it
4. Wr/ tight end- I know we may bring eifert back and we don’t know what we will do with Ross but with aj getting older and boyd in his last yr we will need help. I think they find a way to resign Boyd because he’s only going to get better.
5. DE/dt Billings is ok but geno needs help. We need someone who can stop the gaping holes in the run game. With DE,  Michael Johnson is 132 years old, and Lawson is good but we need someone to help Dunlap rush from the edge.

I’m interested to hear everyone’s take, because I think Taylor will get high character guys and if we get del rio he will be able to help pick out the right talent. I know there are a lot of people that didn’t like Nickerson, but I didn’t think he was absolutely awful. Finally, do you think we sign anyone as a free agent since it seems there maybe changes on the horiztfor the new look bengals?

In order of heaviest need:  

1.) LB
2.) RT
3.) DT
4.) TE
5.) CB
6.) LB
7.) G

Before I get hammered on "you don't draft positions, you go for BPA, blah, blah, blah...", I just wish these are the positions that BPA would fall to us in Utopian environment.  The Bengals MUST bring in at least 1 quality LB as an immediate starter, and likely draft two more.  I doubt there is a quality offensive lineman to plug and play at RT in FA that would fit our youth movement, either, so the possibility exists that they take the best OT in Rd 1, and see if he can be the LT of the future and move Glenn to RT where I think he would be amazing. 
Reply/Quote
It will be nice seeing a change in drafting as well. For 16 years Marvin drafted the same way, so good players, some bad. I don’t see Taylor drafting guys with major character flaws that we have in the past like Thurman, or signing players like pacman. He played well for us, but you constantly heard his name being called for off the field issues. I also think if burfict doesn’t change the way he plays, he will be gone. I love burfict but to be fined a total of 4 million is unacceptable
Reply/Quote
1 lb

2 ot

3 og

4 lb

5 cb/wr

Sent from my N9517 using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
Most likely, an OT.OG worth our pick at 1/2 isn't going to be worth it. Not saying we can't upgrade, but the players available are going to be reaches.

But this draft has some great LB/DL talent. We should be able to load up at 1/2. We might be able to upgrade at TE or CB in the 2/3, too.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 09:55 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I would wait to see how they attack free agency and then go from there. If they don't go all in to fill at least two positions then it will be business as usual. With as many holes as there are to fill its unrealistic to think they can draft themselves into contention.

They can draft themselves into contention, but it will take more than one draft to do so.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 08:03 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: We need to get out LB and O-Line fixed, if the players are available in the first few rounds then we need to get them.
It depends also on what the new HC thinks of the talent we have and who the are willing to let leave in free agency

This.  Those are absolutely our biggest priorities, and even if they score a really good LB in FA, I still think they need to draft one or possibly two.  The offensive line needs a beast at RT that can keep up the run game, but improve the pass protection.

If I had one other position I would like to see them address, it would be SS.  People will throw out his stats (like the 4 INTs), but I think Shawn Williams is a liability and if they had a better tackling, faster SS that could cover better, I think the defense would improve by leaps and bounds.  Look at how well Bates played in his rookie season.  I think drafting Williams eventual replacement would be prudent.  He isn't going to suddenly get faster.

Outside of those three spots, I completely agree that help is needed at NT.  I don't care if he is a "two down" guy with limited pass rush, but we need someone to keep our LBs free and can stuff the middle.  Very difficult for a rookie.  Draft and develop and keep pushing (or push harder?) Billings and Glasgow.  I liked what I saw out of Ringo in limited action. 

To make it an even 5, per your request, I would go for a TE that isn't necessarily a speed merchant, but a reliable, big, soft-handed target that can move the chains and is a stellar blocker.  
Reply/Quote
In this order.

RT, ILB, RG, OLB, TE. Some may put LT in that top 5, but I think we give Glenn another year to figure it out.

It actually depends a lot on who is available in each round. Even if they see RT or ILB as the biggest need, don't be surprised to see TE taken in the 1st round. I wouldn't even be too shocked to see us go CB. IT is a passing league, who knows. We all know what this team lacks the most and its OL and LB. Plain as day.

With that said, I would like to see 2 LB's, 2 OL and 1 TE with the first 5 picks.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote