Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inauguration Day - My public thoughts
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sean-spicer-media-coverage-inauguration-crowd/

Quote:White House press secretary Sean Spicer came to the briefing room Saturday to chastise journalists for their coverage of attendance at Donald Trump’s inauguration, before leaving without taking any questions.

“Some members of the media were engaged in deliberately false reporting,” Spicer said, calling out two examples on Twitter of “inaccurate numbers involving crowd size” as well as reporting from a Time magazine journalist that a bust of Martin Luther King Jr. had been removed from the White House. 

Of crowd size estimates, Spicer said “no one had numbers...because the National Park Service” does not put any out.” 

Despite the lack of numbers just cited, Spicer went on to assert “this was the largest audience to ever witness the inauguration period both in person and around the globe.”

Earlier in the day, President Trump complained at an appearance at the CIA about network coverage suggesting that his crowds were thin.

“I get up this morning, I turn on one of the networks and they show an empty field. I said, ‘Wait a minute, I made a speech,’ I looked out, the field was, it looked like a million, million and a half people,” he told CIA staffers at a visit to Langley Saturday. “They showed a field where there were practically nobody standing there, and they said Donald Trump did not draw well.”

[Image: 0121-satmo-cordes-inauguration-1235902-640x360.jpg]
Play VIDEO
[/url]
Highlights from President Donald Trump's inauguration
[url=http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/highlights-from-president-donald-trumps-inauguration]

“It looked honestly, it looked like a million and a half people, whatever it was, it was, but it went all the way back to Washington
Monument,” Mr. Trump added. He took umbrage at some media coverage that suggested much lower numbers. “I get this network and it showed an empty field,” he marvelled. “And it said we drew 250,000 people, now that’s not bad but it’s a lie.”  Mr. Trump claimed “the 20 block area all the way back to the Washington Monument was packed.”

Media coverage of the inauguration crowds relied on aerial photos of the two addresses from the opposite end of the national mall to draw comparisons, with Obama’s 2009 inauguration apparently drawing much denser crowds. Spicer made no reference of aerial photos in the briefing, using instead two photographs from behind the Capitol, an angle from which the disparity is not as clear. 

Speaking to CBSN after Spicer’s statement, CBS senior White House correspondent Major Garrett said: “It is quite clear that this administration will make whatever representations it wants to on its impression and interpretation of the news and drive that right back at the news media if it thinks it is being unfair or inflicting damage on the image this White House wants to display.”

“I’ve never seen anything like this where it was so intense, so harsh and passionate right off the beginning,” said Garrett,  “So much of it was about what the media got wrong from the interpretation of this White House and a declaration that this antagonism is going to continue because this president feels duty-bound, on behalf of this movement that Sean Spicer spoke about, to speak beyond the media and criticise it whenever he is justified in doing so.”

[Image: rtswjvi.jpg]
A combination of photos taken at the National Mall shows the crowds attending the inauguration ceremonies to swear in U.S. President Donald Trump at 12:01pm (L) on January 20, 2017 and President Barack Obama on January 20, 2009, in Washington, DC, U.S. 

REUTERS/LUCAS JACKSON (L), STELIOS VARIAS TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY - RTSWJVI

Friday evening, the National Park Service was ordered by the Interior Department to cease tweeting after a staffer retweeted a reporter’s comment on the sparser crowds that appeared to attend Mr. Trump’s inauguration.

About 30.6 million people watched the inauguration, according to the Nielsen ratings, a smaller number than the 38 million who watched Obama’s first inauguration in 2009.

He said:

Quote: Spicer went on to assert “this was the largest audience to ever witness the inauguration period both in person and around the globe.

That's what we used to call a "lie".
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
A white house press breifing to cry and lie.

While Trump is over at the CIA advocating America should commit war crimes and pillage Iraq.

Day 1 he cost middle class Americans money. Day two crying and advocating war crimes.

Hell of a start.
(01-21-2017, 08:45 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: A white house press breifing to cry and lie.

While Trump is over at the CIA advocating America should commit war crimes and pillage Iraq.

Day 1 he cost middle class Americans money. Day two crying and advocating war crimes.

Hell of a start.

And none of his supporters care.  They still think he told them the truth and will act presidential any minute now.
http://www.weeklystandard.com/trumpism-corrupts-spicer-edition/article/2006432

I found this to be an interesting writeup on today's presser.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(01-22-2017, 12:04 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: http://www.weeklystandard.com/trumpism-corrupts-spicer-edition/article/2006432

I found this to be an interesting writeup on today's presser.

That may be the only place I read (so far) where it was called what it was: a lie.

But clearly this was a mandate from the President.  

(01-21-2017, 08:45 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: A white house press breifing to cry and lie.

Hell of a start.

I'm still surprised by people who claim Trump critics are "over reacting." Like this isn't going to be all that bad.

If he now turns around and praises the press, as has the intelligence services, he will only seem more unstable.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-22-2017, 12:13 AM)GMDino Wrote: That may be the only place I read (so far) where it was called what it was: a lie.

But clearly this was a mandate from the President.  

I've seen lots of places calling his statements false, inaccurate, misleading, etc. But yeah, not many media sources calling it a lie.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Trump really could have used this opportunity to show those damn wimpy millennial a how to take a blow and not be offended. Alas, the staus quo of outright lying wins again.
(01-22-2017, 05:01 AM)Dill Wrote: I'm still surprised by people who claim Trump critics are "over reacting." Like this isn't going to be all that bad.

If he now turns around and praises the press, as has the intelligence services, he will only seem more unstable.

On FB my conservative friends (who "really" don't support Trump) are saying he just wants the press to start being truthful about him.

Shocked
(01-22-2017, 01:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: On FB my conservative friends (who "really" don't support Trump) are saying he just wants the press to start being truthful about him.

Shocked

And my FB progressive friends are saying the press is being truthful, while my conservative friends are simply silent. 'Hearing a pin drop' silent.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(01-22-2017, 08:27 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I've seen lots of places calling his statements false, inaccurate, misleading, etc. But yeah, not many media sources calling it a lie.

Lie implies that there was a conscious effort to not give the facts. Media can't say what the intentions were, just that the things said were false.

We can and should.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-22-2017, 02:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Lie implies that there was a conscious effort to not give the facts. Media can't say what the intentions were, just that the things said were false.

We can and should.

This is a lie:

Quote:Spicer went on to assert “this was the largest audience to ever witness the inauguration period both in person and around the globe.
(01-22-2017, 03:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: This is a lie:this was the largest audience to ever witness the inauguration period both in person and around the globe.

Well no, Gino, you are using the wrong terminology. That is no longer a lie.

Untrue claims, as Kellyann Conway points out, are now to be called "ALTERNATIVE FACTS," and so VERY DIFFERENT from lies.

Instead of relying on the mainstream media for what used to be called THE FACTS the American people now have a choice between those and alternative facts presented by the White House Press Secretary. This is all about bringing choice back to the American people.
(01-22-2017, 03:20 PM)Dill Wrote: Well no, Gino, you are using the wrong terminology. That is no longer a lie.

Untrue claims, as Kellyann Conway points out, are now "alternative facts," and so VERY DIFFERENT from lies.

Instead of relying on the mainstream media for what used to be called THE FACTS the American people now have a choice between those and alternative facts presented by the White House Press Secretary. This is all about bringing choice back to the American people.

So sorry.  I forgot there were "alternative facts".

I plan on using that when I report my sales for January to my boss!  LMAO!
(01-22-2017, 03:36 PM)GMDino Wrote: So sorry.  I forgot there were "alternative facts".

I plan on using that when I report my sales for January to my boss!  LMAO!

LOL ThumbsUp

And who is to say his facts are better than yours? 
(01-22-2017, 03:39 PM)Dill Wrote: LOL ThumbsUp

And who is to say his facts are better than yours? 

Right?

I mean he has the numbers but I "know" that I had more sales and the numbers can be fudged!  ThumbsUp
(01-22-2017, 03:43 PM)GMDino Wrote: Right?

I mean he has the numbers but I "know" that I had more sales and the numbers can be fudged!  ThumbsUp

Tell him he should be trying to see what is in your heart, not what's on the balance sheet!!
(01-22-2017, 03:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: This is a lie:

It's a lie only if was intentionally false. Maybe he seriously thought it was the largest inauguration attendance ever...

Which, yea, we know it was a lie, but the media cannot assume to know the intent.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(01-22-2017, 03:45 PM)Dill Wrote: Tell him he should be trying to see what is in your heart, not what's on the balance sheet!!

I gonna do that!  Hilarious
I was there in 2009. We couldn't even make it to the mall, had to stand for hours about 7 deep a few miles into the parade route. Never seen so many people in my life, quite certain I never will again. Not sure I ever want to be among that many people again. Certainly not under those frigid conditions.

Like everyone else here, I could really care less about the actual attendance. It's the fact that daddy needs to feed his ego so much that he would try to spin alternate narrative. Sad shit. Guess it's best to start the national conversation about his administration being full of shit earlier than later.