Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Indefinite Suspension? - Watson
Just curious here. Did the league get rid of this? I keep hearing Godell doesn't want to use the commissioner exempt rule on Desean Watson but why not just go ahead and slap an indefinite suspension on him now? You can figure out the exact length later. Like it's clear to me this is going to be a lengthy suspension. Why are they dragging thier feet with him? Every day it gets worse! This seemingly would allow time to let it play out while getting him somewhat out of the public and off the field while this is going on. It's looking worse every day and making the NFL look like it doesn't give 2 craps.

Is there some reason anyone knows of why they aren't just doing this?
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2022, 11:17 AM)CloeHokie Wrote: Just curious here. Did the league get rid of this? I keep hearing Godell doesn't want to use the commissioner exempt rule on Desean Watson but why not just go ahead and slap an indefinite suspension on him now? You can figure out the exact length later. Like it's clear to me this is going to be a lengthy suspension. Why are they dragging thier feet with him? Every day it gets worse! This seemingly would allow time to let it play out while getting him somewhat out of the public and off the field while this is going on. It's looking worse every day and making the NFL look like it doesn't give 2 craps.

The season hasn't started yet?
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2022, 11:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The season hasn't started yet?

That's never stopped them at all before. It's making them look bad every day. I bet 3 more chicks come out in the next few days
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2022, 11:56 AM)CloeHokie Wrote: That's never stopped them at all before. It's making them look bad every day. I bet 3 more chicks come out in the next few days

Well that's another point. The investigation is still ongoing. If they suspend him for say 5 games, then 3 more women come out, that doesn't look good either.  
Reply/Quote
They were just now talking about this on the Sirius Blitz on NFL radio. The word being bantered about NFL headquarters regarding Watson's upcoming suspension is "Unprecedented." And, according to the hosts, more and more people in the league office are jumping on the "suspend him until all the suits are settled" bandwagon. Add to this, the lawyer representing these women just announce yet 2 more females bringing suit, AND, he is filing against the Houston Texans for facilitating these massage sessions. It's not a far reach that from suing the Texans it goes from suing the league itself. They are floating Cleveland and San Fran trading Mayfield for Garropolo. Mayfield gets out of Cleveland, Jimmy G gets to play on a one year deal with the talented Brown roster, make the playoffs then sign somewhere next year as an unrestricted free agent. Salaries are said to be close. I think Watson is done for..... he has brought too much stink on the league.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2022, 11:17 AM)CloeHokie Wrote: Just curious here. Did the league get rid of this? I keep hearing Godell doesn't want to use the commissioner exempt rule on Desean Watson but why not just go ahead and slap an indefinite suspension on him now? You can figure out the exact length later. Like it's clear to me this is going to be a lengthy suspension. Why are they dragging thier feet with him? Every day it gets worse! This seemingly would allow time to let it play out while getting him somewhat out of the public and off the field while this is going on. It's looking worse every day and making the NFL look like it doesn't give 2 craps.

he should never see the field again. 
Reply/Quote

This has been discussed in detail in several "Watson" threads.  See this thread in Smack Talk for the most recent discussion.  I'm copying my post from there because I'm tired of repeating myself.  lol

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Dawgs-eating-Dawgs?pid=1218825#pid1218825

Quote:I've been saying this for months in other Watson threads.  As soon as his new contract came out, it was my prediction that he'd go on the exempt list and then get suspended in 2023.  Also the owners have to deal with the example set by MLB with Trevor Bauer.  So it is possible that Watson goes Exempt in 2022, then gets TWO YEARS of suspension and possibly not see the field until 2025.  Even with appeal, he may not see the field until 2024.

That contract and the whole Watson mess is a complete embarrassment to the NFL to Goodell and it being 100% guaranteed is a violation of the owners "Bro Code", because it's sets a precedent they don't want to have to deal with it.  So these suppositions others have that the NFL wants it's star players on the field, is just bogus in this situation.  Firstly, Browns fans sell out every game anyway; secondly, the Browns don't draw more eyes to the TV, with or without Watson; Lastly,  best way for the other owners to NOT have to deal with the contract is t make sure Watson never sees the field, thus making the contract and Watson situation cancerous instead of an example.

In the end, this will send a message loud and clear to the other owners......don't break the "Bro Code" and give out dumb ass contracts just to win.  This is on top of the NFL owners not wanting back lash by not appearing tough on sexual assault, per MLB's suspension of Bauer.

In regard to the Commish not wanting to use the Exempt List on Watson, the last time he said that was over a year ago.  Recently one of his aides was asked about it, and said "Nothing is currently off the table."  THAT is VERY teling because you'd think a Goodell aide would simply say "The Commish has not changed his stance on that subject" or something to that effect.

So some things to consider about why he hasn't been suspended yet. Until he's going to step on the field, there is no reason to suspend him.  The longer they wait the worse it is going to be in the end, mark my words.  As long as they suspend him before he steps on the field for his first pre-season game, it does not look bad on the NFL.  Also, the cases are still pending AND two more are being filed to bring it up to 26.  

Of note:  One of the recent ladies that filed has said she doesn't want money, will donate anything she gets or reject it, she only field because she wants Watson to tell the truth.  She was appalled by his attitude, and lies after seeing the HBO Special, and then joined the suit.

In my mind this isn't just about punishing DW, it's also about punishing the Browns for breaking every unwritten rule of the game.  The Browns gave a 100% guaranteed contract with TWICE as much guaranteed money as the next largest contract in NFL history.  The owners have to react to precedents in their future negotiations and the Browns just F'd over the rest of the owners.  I predict the owners make the consequences of that contract so toxic, that it will never be considered in future contract negotiations.

I believe the Commish will use the ongoing investigation to put DW on the Exempt List for the entire 2022 season.  This will have three effects:  #1 - It will show that the NFL is doing something, while in the meantime continuing to investigate;  #2 - It will get DW off the field; #3 - It will cancel out the Browns/DW's attempt to go around the punishment system, by having him sit at home and collect his 1 million dollar salary in 2022.

I believe DW will be given a MINIMUM 2 year suspension for 2023 and 2024.  This will have FOUR major effects.  #1 - Lengthy punishment comparable to what Trevor Bauer (MLB) received for far less severe and fewer incidents, thus shows that the NFL is serious about this kind of behavior and 1a tells the players that this kind of shyt won't be tolerated; #2 - DW will lose real money while suspended on the order of ~115 Mil USD, thus receiving double punishment for his actions and for trying to work around league justice; #3 - It will send a clear message to teams, players and agents not to design contract to circumvent the NFL's punishment rules; #4 - Behind closed doors the Browns will get the message that this was unacceptable and they better never do anything like this again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2022, 10:14 PM)Stewy Wrote: This has been discussed in detail in several "Watson" threads.  See this thread in Smack Talk for the most recent discussion.  I'm copying my post from there because I'm tired of repeating myself.  lol

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Dawgs-eating-Dawgs?pid=1218825#pid1218825

In regard to the Commish not wanting to use the Exempt List on Watson, the last time he said that was over a year ago.  Recently one of his aides was asked about it, and said "Nothing is currently off the table."  THAT is VERY teling because you'd think a Goodell aide would simply say "The Commish has not changed his stance on that subject" or something to that effect.

So some things to consider about why he hasn't been suspended yet. Until he's going to step on the field, there is no reason to suspend him.  The longer they wait the worse it is going to be in the end, mark my words.  As long as they suspend him before he steps on the field for his first pre-season game, it does not look bad on the NFL.  Also, the cases are still pending AND two more are being filed to bring it up to 26.  

Of note:  One of the recent ladies that filed has said she doesn't want money, will donate anything she gets or reject it, she only field because she wants Watson to tell the truth.  She was appalled by his attitude, and lies after seeing the HBO Special, and then joined the suit.

In my mind this isn't just about punishing DW, it's also about punishing the Browns for breaking every unwritten rule of the game.  The Browns gave a 100% guaranteed contract with TWICE as much guaranteed money as the next largest contract in NFL history.  The owners have to react to precedents in their future negotiations and the Browns just F'd over the rest of the owners.  I predict the owners make the consequences of that contract so toxic, that it will never be considered in future contract negotiations.

I believe the Commish will use the ongoing investigation to put DW on the Exempt List for the entire 2022 season.  This will have three effects:  #1 - It will show that the NFL is doing something, while in the meantime continuing to investigate;  #2 - It will get DW off the field; #3 - It will cancel out the Browns/DW's attempt to go around the punishment system, by having him sit at home and collect his 1 million dollar salary in 2022.

I believe DW will be given a MINIMUM 2 year suspension for 2023 and 2024.  This will have FOUR major effects.  #1 - Lengthy punishment comparable to what Trevor Bauer (MLB) received for far less severe and fewer incidents, thus shows that the NFL is serious about this kind of behavior and 1a tells the players that this kind of shyt won't be tolerated; #2 - DW will lose real money while suspended on the order of ~115 Mil USD, thus receiving double punishment for his actions and for trying to work around league justice; #3 - It will send a clear message to teams, players and agents not to design contract to circumvent the NFL's punishment rules; #4 - Behind closed doors the Browns will get the message that this was unacceptable and they better never do anything like this again.

Ah I looked for one but that title didn't tell me much. 

Calvin ridley was just put on indefinite suspension last season for betting.

I get that he doesn't want to use the exempt list. Not talking about that. 

Suspend him now indefinitely. He won't look bad as that is the purpose of an indefinite suspension. You pick the correct time when you know what to give him. But we all know he's going to get at least 6 games so why not start it? No There may not be games playing but he can still practice and take the field that way. And the longer this goes on with no punishment the more women etc perceive it as the NFL not caring etc.

Why not use the indefinite suspension is my question? Isn't this the definition of why you would use it?
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 03:01 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Ah I looked for one but that title didn't tell me much. 

Calvin ridley was just put on indefinite suspension last season for betting.

I get that he doesn't want to use the exempt list. Not talking about that. 

Suspend him now indefinitely. He won't look bad as that is the purpose of an indefinite suspension. You pick the correct time when you know what to give him. But we all know he's going to get at least 6 games so why not start it? No There may not be games playing but he can still practice and take the field that way. And the longer this goes on with no punishment the more women etc perceive it as the NFL not caring etc.

Why not use the indefinite suspension is my question? Isn't this the definition of why you would use it?

Firstly the situations are different.   

Ridley = Gambling Confirmed.  There's no doubt he did it, and one does not gamble on the sport you are currently involved in playing, coaching etc.

In the case of DW, there is A LOT of smoke, which leads to supposition of fire, but no direct proof, evidence or admittance of guilt.  The latest precedent for DW is Zeke Elliot's punishment for 6 games for one incident, which my understanding had less proof and evidence than any of the DW cases.  One case got 6 games, DW has 24 going on 26 cases of accusations of misconduct, so DW's situation is unprecedented and Ridley's situation and punishment aren't related at all.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2022, 10:14 PM)Stewy Wrote: I believe DW will be given a MINIMUM 2 year suspension for 2023 and 2024.  This will have FOUR major effects.  #1 - Lengthy punishment comparable to what Trevor Bauer (MLB) received for far less severe and fewer incidents, thus shows that the NFL is serious about this kind of behavior and 1a tells the players that this kind of shyt won't be tolerated; #2 - DW will lose real money while suspended on the order of ~115 Mil USD, thus receiving double punishment for his actions and for trying to work around league justice; #3 - It will send a clear message to teams, players and agents not to design contract to circumvent the NFL's punishment rules; #4 - Behind closed doors the Browns will get the message that this was unacceptable and they better never do anything like this again.

I'd bet they're gonna throw the book at them as well. Them being the Browns and Watson. I believe this whole fiasco is giving the NFL a very black eye and a large portion of the other owners are very pissed at the way the Browns have handled this whole thing, as you say. And they're gonna demand repercussions. 

Not to mention the total unacceptable behavior of Watson himself which is just way the hell out there and deserves punishment. The public outcry is gonna reach a fever pitch if he sees the field again with just a slap on the wrist, 4 games or whatever ? 

A two year suspension how ever they chop it up woudn't surprise me at all.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 12:35 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Not to mention the total unacceptable behavior of Watson himself which is just way the hell out there and deserves punishment. The public outcry is gonna reach a fever pitch if he sees the field again with just a slap on the wrist, 4 games or whatever ? 

So far the evidence seems to show that Watson had consensual sex with adult women.

Why should he be punished for that?
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 10:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So far the evidence seems to show that Watson had consensual sex with adult women.

only if you ignore the victims statements. 
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 10:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So far the evidence seems to show that Watson had consensual sex with adult women.

If you called 87 female plumbers and tried to have sex with all of them there's a problem. A plumber is not a hooker and shouldn't be treated as one
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 06:56 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: If you called 87 female plumbers and tried to have sex with all of them there's a problem. A plumber is not a hooker and shouldn't be treated as one

If you called 87 of them and asked and they all said yes do you have a legal problem? Ignoring the moral problem.
Reply/Quote
In terms of Watson's impending suspension, it's not a matter of if he broke the law, as much as if he broke the CBA's player conduct policy.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
All but four of Deshaun Watson's cases have been settled.

https://twitter.com/Jake_Trotter/status/1539274088635682825?s=20&t=lpPVbJlwn_Vdg-1zI8liZA
Reply/Quote
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/21/tony-buzbee-20-of-the-24-cases-against-deshaun-watson-have-settled/

How much you think each one cost considering his new contract is public knowledge... Even then it has been more than a black eye for the league.. And there still more coming form what i heard.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2022, 01:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/21/tony-buzbee-20-of-the-24-cases-against-deshaun-watson-have-settled/

How much you think each one cost considering his new contract is public knowledge... Even then it has been more than a black eye for the league.. And there still more coming form what i heard.

The NFL has made a pretty bold commitment to social issues in recent years, it will be interesting to see how strong they recommend a lengthy suspension to the arbitrator.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2022, 02:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The NFL has made a pretty bold commitment to social issues in recent years, it will be interesting to see how strong they recommend a lengthy suspension to the arbitrator.

Been hearing anywhere between 1 year and just perma ban.     will be interesting

Browns setting a new precedent of bad
Reply/Quote
Personally I hope the settlements total more than his entire contract so if he ever does play under the current contract he signed he'll be playing free and having to borrow money for groceries from loan sharks at outrageous interest..
As a side note it would be kind of funny if the Browns were forced to sell and Mike Brown bought the team and moved them to Dayton.. LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote