Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indirect Motivation
Who Dey to you all! I am more of a reader of this forum and not much of a poster. However, I wanted to get the boards thoughts on a theory. Our lack of hiring a Defensive Coordinator is well documented. The reasons candidates have turned the job offer/interview have gathered much speculation. BUT this defense has a number of high level players(Geno, Dunlap, WJIII) and potential high level players (Lawson, Hubbard, Bates). So it is crazy to think that who ever takes over this unit will have some hungry, motivated players at his disposal? The defense is already chomping at the bit to prove that last year's defense performance was a fluke. Mix in this lack of finding a candidate and I believe our defense is in for a big year PENDING a few upgrades. Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 02:17 PM)Knightmare on Elm Street Wrote: Who Dey to you all! I am more of a reader of this forum and not much of a poster. However, I wanted to get the boards thoughts on a theory. Our lack of hiring a Defensive Coordinator is well documented. The reasons candidates have turned the job offer/interview have gathered much speculation. BUT this defense has a number of high level players(Geno, Dunlap, WJIII) and potential high level players (Lawson, Hubbard, Bates). So it is crazy to think that who ever takes over this unit will have some hungry, motivated players at his disposal? The defense is already chomping at the bit to prove that last year's defense performance was a fluke. Mix in this lack of finding a candidate and I believe our defense is in for a big year PENDING a few upgrades. Thoughts?

Perhaps the Bengals are truly innovative and won't hire a DC till week one of the season, so the opponent can't game-plan against the defense.  Perhaps they have found a kicker who puts such spin on the ball as to always cause it to bounce backwards with incredible energy- thus always recovering the ball on kickoffs and making defense obsolete. 

Seriously, I think it's more frustrating than anything and I'm not on a ledge.  However, there's no way IMO Taylor envisioned not having a coordinator in place at this stage.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 03:11 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: Perhaps the Bengals are truly innovative and won't hire a DC till week one of the season, so the opponent can't game-plan against the defense.  Perhaps they have found a kicker who puts such spin on the ball as to always cause it to bounce backwards with incredible energy- thus always recovering the ball on kickoffs and making defense obsolete. 

Seriously, I think it's more frustrating than anything and I'm not on a ledge.  However, there's no way IMO Taylor envisioned not having a coordinator in place at this stage.

I like it. We constantly onside kick. We recover 80% of them.

We waive all of our defensive players and use all of the free salary cap space on offense so it's basically like the AFC Pro Bowl Team. We also invest heavily in our hands team on special teams and kicker. We score TD's 80% of the time we get the ball.

If the opponent actually fields a kickoff, we let them play 11 on 0 and score.

We still win!
Reply/Quote
I think it will be one extreme or the other.

It will either provide great motivation and result in a great D that plays with a chip on their shoulder.

Or it will be a total confidence killer. Players bicker and fight with each other point fingers and the locker room falls apart because nobody respects the DC who was the 10th option.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 02:17 PM)Knightmare on Elm Street Wrote: Who Dey to you all! I am more of a reader of this forum and not much of a poster. However, I wanted to get the boards thoughts on a theory. Our lack of hiring a Defensive Coordinator is well documented. The reasons candidates have turned the job offer/interview have gathered much speculation. BUT this defense has a number of high level players(Geno, Dunlap, WJIII) and potential high level players (Lawson, Hubbard, Bates). So it is crazy to think that who ever takes over this unit will have some hungry, motivated players at his disposal? The defense is already chomping at the bit to prove that last year's defense performance was a fluke. Mix in this lack of finding a candidate and I believe our defense is in for a big year PENDING a few upgrades. Thoughts?

Yes, after last year i am sure the players, namely the ones you mention who have a lot of pride will be motivated to prove something. Whoever the new DC will be has good players to work with, they just need to be used correctly which is up to coaching. There was no excuse for that soft zone crap that Austin used last year that put the players in bad positions constantly. Not to mention the CB's are more press Corners than zone Corners and just giving that monster cushion all the time had to be frustrating for WJ3 and the rest.

We all know it was frustrating for us watching Offenses continually get a first down on 3rd and long.

A new LB coach was needed immensely, Haslett was terrible. I think getting rid of him alone really helped the Defense. Adding a competent LB coach and a couple talented Linebackers that can shut down those dump offs is what is needed badly. Just makes a pass rush non existant when QB's can just dump the ball off on screens and the RB runs for first downs.
Reply/Quote
The only thing I would disagree with is the INdirect part. I'm saying make it direct motivation.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 03:50 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think it will be one extreme or the other.

It will either provide great motivation and result in a great D that plays with a chip on their shoulder.

Or it will be a total confidence killer. Players bicker and fight with each other point fingers and the locker room falls apart because nobody respects the DC who was the 10th option.

It's all about leadership. IF we can hire a DC who has leadership abilities, we'll be ok no matter what.

IF we settle and go with a guy like Marquand Manual who is a known mediocre coach, then it could fail bigtime.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2019, 02:17 PM)Knightmare on Elm Street Wrote: Who Dey to you all! I am more of a reader of this forum and not much of a poster. However, I wanted to get the boards thoughts on a theory. Our lack of hiring a Defensive Coordinator is well documented. The reasons candidates have turned the job offer/interview have gathered much speculation. BUT this defense has a number of high level players(Geno, Dunlap, WJIII) and potential high level players (Lawson, Hubbard, Bates). So it is crazy to think that who ever takes over this unit will have some hungry, motivated players at his disposal? The defense is already chomping at the bit to prove that last year's defense performance was a fluke. Mix in this lack of finding a candidate and I believe our defense is in for a big year PENDING a few upgrades. Thoughts?

I've said it before......if these guys can't get their ass in gear after one DC candidate SPECIFICALLY noted them as a reason for declining, then nothing ever will get them there.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A guy like Burfict appears to have actually declined A LOT.
Reply/Quote
Meh, the last two teams to win the SB were both full of the "nobody believes in us" narrative. You can make a case for every NFL team being motivated by criticism and people putting them down. Even the team that wins it all believes that everyone is against them and no one believes in them, so we might need to come up with a new way to convince our players to be better.

Also, how many OCs turned us down before we got Brian Callahan? If he was our first choice and he enthusiastically took the job does that mean the offense is going to get complacent because they didn't get overlooked?

OPTIMISTIC BENGALS FANS:
Bengals get the first OC they shoot for:
Wow, look at that! Our offense is so talented and in demand! They're gonna be so motivated! Look out, NFL!

Bengals get the 27th DC they shoot for:
Wow, look at that! Our defense is going to be so motivated that so many DCs didn't want to be here. Look out, NFL!
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2019, 02:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, the last two teams to win the SB were both full of the "nobody believes in us" narrative.  You can make a case for every NFL team being motivated by criticism and people putting them down.  Even the team that wins it all believes that everyone is against them and no one believes in them, so we might need to come up with a new way to convince our players to be better.

Also, how many OCs turned us down before we got Brian Callahan?  If he was our first choice and he enthusiastically took the job does that mean the offense is going to get complacent because they didn't get overlooked?

OPTIMISTIC BENGALS FANS:
Bengals get the first OC they shoot for:
Wow, look at that!  Our offense is so talented and in demand!  They're gonna be so motivated!  Look out, NFL!

Bengals get the 27th DC they shoot for:
Wow, look at that!  Our defense is going to be so motivated that so many DCs didn't want to be here.  Look out, NFL!

Eternal optimism is great except when it doesn't pan out and turns into eternal pessimism which is one thing every Bengals fan is eternally familiar with.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Frankly this defense should already have something to prove considering its rankings last season.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I mean, why doesn't 3 straight losing seasons do it? Why is it because one DC said they weren't good enough?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

This defense has all kinds of reasons to be motivated ! Being the worst D in the NFL last season is certainly one. Giving up nearly 50% of their 3rd downs is another, about the middle of the season they were giving up nearly 60% ! Over the last two or three seasons they've been one of the worst 3rd down D's in the NFL

I don't think we had even one CB interception. There were so many qtrs. halves, games where our Dline got right next to zero pressure. We were blown wide open with teams running the ball at will against us in many games. Many injury shortened seasons for players. You could go on and on.

This defense as you mention still has some good pieces. And as has been gone over a gazillion times we get some good LBers in here and I think there will be plenty of motivation to go around whoever the DC is or isn't.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 10:45 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I mean, why doesn't 3 straight losing seasons do it? Why is it because one DC said they weren't good enough?

Yeah I don’t really buy this idea either....B.S. ing themselves just doesn’t seem like a viable means to a sustainable high level of play.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 12:32 PM)HuDey Wrote: Yeah I don’t really buy this idea either....B.S. ing themselves just doesn’t seem like a viable means to a sustainable high level of play.

It has merit, but it shouldn't be what gets them chomping at the bit to play. It should be to get those dubs, with a side dish of "f*ck all y'all". 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 01:19 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: It has merit, but it shouldn't be what gets them chomping at the bit to play. It should be to get those dubs, with a side dish of "f*ck all y'all". 

Disrespect is a powerful motivator.  Just this past season, the Patriots used it to win a 6th SB.  Lotta people were predicting their demise during the season.  They took it to heart.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 03:52 PM)McC Wrote: Disrespect is a powerful motivator.  Just this past season, the Patriots used it to win a 6th SB.  Lotta people were predicting their demise during the season.  They took it to heart.

With all due respect, the D was shitted on like I've never seen before. Seriously, if that doesn't get you going, nothing at all will. That's FAR more disrespectful to me than some "guy" not wanting to coach me. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2019, 04:27 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: With all due respect, the D was shitted on like I've never seen before. Seriously, if that doesn't get you going, nothing at all will. That's FAR more disrespectful to me than some "guy" not wanting to coach me. 

You're absolutely right.  Use it all.

Reply/Quote

What makes you come to this conclusion? I think the defense needs a kick in the ass personally....
Reply/Quote