Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ineptness quantified statistically
(10-14-2019, 09:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This is like asking me which of my ex-wives I like the least.

I preferred the 2nd one
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Panthers lead the league with 27 sacks.
We have 7 sacks (there are a few teams under us, the lowest has only 5 sacks).

Only Miami (6.7) is worse in giving up more yards per play (6.5).
We're 2nd in most defensive penalties (50).

Looking through the offensive stats, we are not "as bad" league wise relatively speaking, but this is probably because the defense is on the field for so long. Defensive time of possession is 5th or 6th most (meaning worst) in league.

I just feel like we're good at nothing right now, absolutely nothing lol. Can't we all just say "Let's try to get sacks this year" and just at lesat do that! Maybe the ball would bounce our way if we had 27 freaking sacks, 4-5 sacks a game. We average 1 sack a game!
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 09:31 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Here are some starter stats per game for others to discuss. I highlighted something that should make everyone wide eyed.

Offense:
PTS 16.2 (29th)
YDS 307.7 (26th)
PASS YDS 251.2 (12th)
RUSH YDS 56.5 (32nd)

Defense:
PTS 26.5 (26th)
YDS 426.0 (31st)
PASS YDS 241.5 (16th)
RUSH YDS 184.5 (32nd)

Dead last in rushing and stopping the run. Not a recipe for success even in a pass happy league. Bengals are making rushing cool again, unfortunately only for the opponents.

As for which is worse? I’ll say defense for now just because the offense was supposed to have Glenn, Williams, and Green which could improve our offense slightly. Outside of our 3rd CB the defense hasn’t been missing much long term. These are the guys the FO wanted to go to war with this season and even without debilitating injuries they’re still pathetic. At least the offense has an excuse for being bad (not an excuse for this shit but I don’t think anyone expected them to set the world on fire with no AJ and a worse o line compared to last year). Although I’d hoped Taylor would be able to keep them looking respectable without AJ
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 09:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I preferred the 2nd one

So you're one of those guys who likes having the clap, eh?  Well, it takes all kinds of people to make a world!

On a lighter note, our defense is bad but our offense has been bad but has also given us some insultingly pointless scores when the game has been over for hours, so I'll be more annoyed with the offense.
Reply/Quote
Defense there good in the Redzone while the offense isn't good at anything.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 09:43 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Dead last in rushing and stopping the run. Not a recipe for success even in a pass happy league. Bengals are making rushing cool again, unfortunately only for the opponents.

As for which is worse? I’ll say defense for now just because the offense was supposed to have Glenn, Williams, and Green which could improve our offense slightly.  Outside of our 3rd CB the defense hasn’t been missing much long term. These are the guys the FO wanted to go to war with this season and even without debilitating injuries they’re still pathetic. At least the offense has an excuse for being bad (not an excuse for this shit but I don’t think anyone expected them to set the world on fire with no AJ and a worse o line compared to last year). Although I’d hoped Taylor would be able to keep them looking respectable without AJ

Hey...we'd be 4-2 with AJ. Haven't you heard?
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 09:50 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Defense there good in the Redzone while the offense isn't good at anything.

You might be the biggest optimist on the board now...mainly because all the other ones left.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have historically been an Offense oriented team, Zac himself was an offensive coach. Many quarters where the team has lots of 3 and outs and no points to account in many quarters for is just PATHETIC. 3 and outs WILL wear out any defense not matter how good they are and our defense is just bad. But it is expected to be inferior to the offense for the $$$ and picks it gets. During the games, it's not even a battle of opposing offenses. We just can't score. The offense would have series where they click and then go completely incompetence. It is frustrating. Yes AJ is out, but that is like saying the LIONS would be a winning team because they had Calvin Johnson (back then). If the D was as bad as the O, opponents would be scoring in 5 plays at most. VERDICT: Defense suxs, Offense suxs WAY more.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 08:23 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'm not saying the offense has been good, but I disagree there.

The defense has been far worse, and yesterday was a great example.  6 of the 30 snaps with the lead occurred yesterday before the offense ever took the field.  But the defense never forced a 3rd down the entire drive.  Tied game.  The Ravens first third down was deep in the red zone on the 4 yard line during their second drive, the snap before we trailed 14-7.  The next third down was the snap before they went up 17-7.

Now establishing a running game will help even out time of possession some, but even with fresh legs and a lead to start the game, the defense is can't make a stop.  It's too easy for the opposition to move the ball, and a bad offense damn sure isn't going to develop a rhythm sitting on the bench.  And that oline definitely needs to develop a rhythm...

I guess a team is asking a lot for a defense that has such a disparity of TOP because the offense goes 3 and out.   It is easy to point the finger at the defense and I will admit the defense looks pretty bad in terms of gap integrity, players position, players inability to read keys.  But they also held the Ravens to a season low in points I believe.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You might be the biggest optimist on the board now...mainly because all the other ones left.

No there actually good in the Redzone look up the stats.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 10:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Hey...we'd be 4-2 with AJ. Haven't you heard?

We are only one or two plays from 4-2 Haven’t you headed
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 11:03 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: No there actually good in the Redzone look up the stats.

Are you watching a different game mr Blackburn? Dog shit is dog shit; and it ain’t good.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 11:41 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Are you watching a different game mr Blackburn?   Dog shit is dog shit; and it ain’t good.
Have you?   There 6th in the NFL in Redzone defense and they held there past two opponents to 2-8 in the Redzone.
J24

Reply/Quote
That's a crazy stat. Makes me think our record is deceivingly good right now.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2019, 11:52 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Have you?   There 6th in the NFL in Redzone defense and they held there past two opponents to 2-8 in the Redzone.

Missed that you were talking about the D. You’re right
Reply/Quote