Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Initial Reactions To New Coaches From A Vet
(05-15-2019, 10:40 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: "I just like how coach Lou is emphasizing so much that you gotta play hard"

"If you don't have all 11 guys running to the ball and giving your full effort then ya know your'e beat already. So. I think that's the biggest change. Which would be good for us."

Words out of Vigil's mouth

https://www.bengals.com/video/vigil-it-s-good-to-be-out-there-moving-around-and-it-will-be-even-better-next-we

I was shocked to hear this but not really. Old Marv was so complacent...

A coaching staff that pushes its players... This will be a welcomed change. We will take the league by storm if our guys listen to the new coaches and actually try. I remember seeing a play last year where Geno gave 3% effort and allowed the Browns to score a TD while lolly gagging around. Marv somehow managed to get Mr. Serious-Business-Do-Your-Job-and-Shut-Your-Mouth playing half assed???!!! That was 100% coaching.

Crazy that something as stupid as this gets me excited. But I believe it. Can you imagine coming in to work everyday and lame ass marv clapping and giggling to get you motivated to go lay it all on the line for him.

I am glad you are excited. But, can we all agree to move on from the daily ML bashing. ML is gone. If he was as bad as many of you believe, then Zac should be able easily to do as ML did in year one. ML improved 6 games from 2 wins to 6 so Zac should easily do 4 and if as good as ML 6 game improvement.

I agree it was time for a change, but the ML daily hatred and interjection into all of these threads is getting very old very fast. Let's root for Zac to get us back to the playoffs year one in a AFCN that is not that strong on paper right now without the ML banter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:10 PM)NKURyan Wrote: When *should* they need to be told to play hard? Never.
When *do* some players need to be told to play hard? More than you'd hope.

True. None of us in daily life should be told, but we have to be reminded by ourselves and/or management from time to time. In players cases, I can see where they could easily let up when they don't believe in the leadership. Can you imaging year after year trying to stay focused on a coaching gameplan that just didn't work, or staying focused in your personal life working for a company where discipline was absent and leadership was like watching the three stooges in a haunted house day after day? 

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am glad you are excited. But, can we all agree to move on from the daily ML bashing. ML is gone. If he was as bad as many of you believe, then Zac should be able easily to do as ML did in year one. ML improved 6 games from 2 wins to 6 so Zac should easily do 4 and if as good as ML 6 game improvement.

I agree it was time for a change, but the ML daily hatred and interjection into all of these threads is getting very old very fast. Let's root for Zac to get us back to the playoffs year one in a AFCN that is not that strong on paper right now.

We just have to realize that right now the new coaches can do no wrong and we are going to spin everything into an exciting positive.  If this article said that Lou wasn't telling players they have to constantly work hard we would be saying how awesome it is that he is confident and secure in his position and his scheme that he isn't resorting to yelling out simple motivational crap at professional athletes.

I don't think it's so much hatred for Marvin Lewis, as much as we are just dying to believe that he was so very much responsible for why things haven't been great in Cincy for a while.  

(05-16-2019, 12:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: True. None of us in daily life should be told, but we have to be reminded by ourselves and/or management from time to time. In players cases, I can see where they could easily let up when they don't believe in the leadership. Can you imaging year after year trying to stay focused on a coaching gameplan that just didn't work, or staying focused in your personal life working for a company where discipline was absent and leadership was like watching the three stooges in a haunted house day after day? 

I'm not sure if you are saying this to criticize Marvin for not holding his players accountable, or to defend Marvin for naturally getting burned-out working for Mike Brown, or a bit of both.  My biggest concern with the new coaches is that they could be beaten into submission by the Mike Brown way rather quickly, but time will tell.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am glad you are excited. But, can we all agree to move on from the daily ML bashing. ML is gone. If he was as bad as many of you believe, then Zac should be able easily to do as ML did in year one. ML improved 6 games from 2 wins to 6 so Zac should easily do 4 and if as good as ML 6 game improvement.

I agree it was time for a change, but the ML daily hatred and interjection into all of these threads is getting very old very fast. Let's root for Zac to get us back to the playoffs year one in a AFCN that is not that strong on paper right now without the ML banter.

He was here for 16 years.  I'm not sure getting over him in 16 blinks of an eye is at all realistic.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:47 PM)McC Wrote: He was here for 16 years.  I'm not sure getting over him in 16 blinks of an eye is at all realistic.  

Marvin is in a way the hinge point between the New Dey (Zac era) & the former Dey Marvin era.

Marvin will likely remain a topic to compare & contrast the New Dey Zac era with.

Just got to hope we don't end up looking back and longing for the Marvin Dey era but instead have a successful Zac Dey era that then puts the Marvin Dey era further in the rear view mirror.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 11:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why the hell didn't vigil or any other player say anything about this last year?

This is nothing but generic player speak used to suck up to the new coaches. If grown men need to be told to play hard then they need to be replaced.

Geez Fred. Marvin Lewis wasn't a God among coaches. He had (glaring) holes in his coaching game, obviously, given his dismal record in "important games". 

Had they said anything in the middle of the season, they would have been damned for that (see Mixon, Joe) 
Now, if you think what happens in the locker room/ practice field should stay there, even across coaching regimes, I can see that. Marvin was a good coach, perhaps not deserving of the level of venom directed at him by me and others at times (yes I'll own it), but his regime IS open to plenty of criticism nonetheless.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Marvin hung around too long. I liked the guy, but we need new energy. We got it. We'll see how well these guys can teach and run a game plan. Maybe they also know how to make halftime adjustments.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: True. None of us in daily life should be told, but we have to be reminded by ourselves and/or management from time to time. In players cases, I can see where they could easily let up when they don't believe in the leadership. Can you imaging year after year trying to stay focused on a coaching gameplan that just didn't work, or staying focused in your personal life working for a company where discipline was absent and leadership was like watching the three stooges in a haunted house day after day? 

I'm doing this right now......and I gotta admit, I ain't exactly the gung ho, get it done no matter the cost kinda guy I was before all of these biscuits were hired into "upper management" to come in and sop up the gravy all of us have cooked getting this company back on its feet.  In fact, I'm actively job shopping right now, with two offers pending.  People who think that this can't happen are sorely mistaken.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 11:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why the hell didn't vigil or any other player say anything about this last year?

This is nothing but generic player speak used to suck up to the new coaches. If grown men need to be told to play hard then they need to be replaced.

I'm with you in the sense that its generic player speak.   What the heck are they supposed to say?   I think there's some excitement because it's a totally new staff that is energized by getting their shot to do it their way.  But I seriously doubt Marvin Lewis never said you have to play hard to win in this league.  I can hear him saying it!

Just look at the players' faces.  They all look like helpless ducks in the cross hairs of the press.  They're saying whatever they need to do to satisfy them so they'll move away from their lockers.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:10 PM)NKURyan Wrote: When *should* they need to be told to play hard? Never.
When *do* some players need to be told to play hard? More than you'd hope.

if its the later... Plenty of other guys waiting for a shot.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 06:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if its the later... Plenty of other guys waiting for a shot.

If a coach is going to hold them accountable and punish them for it, sure. I'm not sure that was the case here over the last few years.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 05:03 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I'm doing this right now......and I gotta admit, I ain't exactly the gung ho, get it done no matter the cost kinda guy I was before all of these biscuits were hired into "upper management" to come in and sop up the gravy all of us have cooked getting this company back on its feet.  In fact, I'm actively job shopping right now, with two offers pending.  People who think that this can't happen are sorely mistaken.

Exactly. Doesn’t matter if your making $8.50 an hour, $50 an hour or $150,000 an hour. It happens everywhere with bad management. A.K.A. ML. Cool

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 06:26 PM)NKURyan Wrote: If a coach is going to hold them accountable and punish them for it, sure. I'm not sure that was the case here over the last few years.

Only for poor lil John Ross.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Didn't Austin talk about how the D was going to go non stop last year? Run to the ball every time it was on the ground as if it was a fumble, etc. etc.?

Fans were eating that up too. 

Fans eat up all this stuff in these months prior to the season.  I enjoy reading fans reaction to this stuff, it amuses me.  They get so excited over nothing. 
Reply/Quote
I believe the new coaching will bring a refreshing
spirit and unbridled enthusiam that the players in turn
will feed off of.
lets not forget this is Lou Amaruro's 1st time as DC.
hes waited all his lifetime to be in this position.
I think him and Taylor will compliment eaxh other very well.
Taylor and Coach Lou have no history with getting punked by the Steelers the last 16
its a clean slate for everyone
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 12:05 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Taylor and Coach Lou have no history with getting punked by the Steelers the last 16
its a clean slate for everyone

Yay, were 0-0 vs. the stoolers.

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 03:13 PM)SladeX Wrote: Geez Fred. Marvin Lewis wasn't a God among coaches. He had (glaring) holes in his coaching game, obviously, given his dismal record in "important games". 

Had they said anything in the middle of the season, they would have been damned for that (see Mixon, Joe) 
Now, if you think what happens in the locker room/ practice field should stay there, even across coaching regimes, I can see that. Marvin was a good coach, perhaps not deserving of the level of venom directed at him by me and others at times (yes I'll own it), but his regime IS open to plenty of criticism nonetheless.

Of course Marvin was not a great coach.  The thing with me is that I think coaching GROWN MEN is more about being smarter than other coaches instead of pitching screaming fits or cheerleading.

There have been great coaches who had very calm demeanors, and there have been coaches with tons of "fire" who sucked.  I don't care how much "fresh, new excitement" Taylor brings.  It won't make a bit of difference if he can't analyze schemes and players to get an advantage over opposing teams.
Reply/Quote
Geeeez.. Sample and Vigil make me feel old.. They have almost as much facial hair as I did at their age which was almost none and both look like poster boys for pimple cream..  I can't even remember my last pimple.. Hilarious
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 10:40 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: "I just like how coach Lou is emphasizing so much that you gotta play hard"

"If you don't have all 11 guys running to the ball and giving your full effort then ya know your'e beat already. So. I think that's the biggest change. Which would be good for us."

Words out of Vigil's mouth

https://www.bengals.com/video/vigil-it-s-good-to-be-out-there-moving-around-and-it-will-be-even-better-next-we

I was shocked to hear this but not really. Old Marv was so complacent...

A coaching staff that pushes its players... This will be a welcomed change. We will take the league by storm if our guys listen to the new coaches and actually try. I remember seeing a play last year where Geno gave 3% effort and allowed the Browns to score a TD while lolly gagging around. Marv somehow managed to get Mr. Serious-Business-Do-Your-Job-and-Shut-Your-Mouth playing half assed???!!! That was 100% coaching.

Crazy that something as stupid as this gets me excited. But I believe it. Can you imagine coming in to work everyday and lame ass marv clapping and giggling to get you motivated to go lay it all on the line for him.

No shit, big changes going on. Embarassing when some players don't give it their all.

Makes everyone look bad. No excuses for this. So happy Marv is gone and the players are too whether they say it or not.

No offense to Marvin but man, there is no excuse for this, he couldn't motivate a rabbit to jump.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 02:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So happy Marv is gone and the players are too whether they say it or not.

Wow.  This is a great debate tactic.  Let me try it.

"The players always agree with me whether they say it or not."

Man, that is soooooo easy.  I am going to use it in every argument from now on.
Reply/Quote