Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Initial Reactions To New Coaches From A Vet
"I just like how coach Lou is emphasizing so much that you gotta play hard"

"If you don't have all 11 guys running to the ball and giving your full effort then ya know your'e beat already. So. I think that's the biggest change. Which would be good for us."

Words out of Vigil's mouth

https://www.bengals.com/video/vigil-it-s-good-to-be-out-there-moving-around-and-it-will-be-even-better-next-we

I was shocked to hear this but not really. Old Marv was so complacent...

A coaching staff that pushes its players... This will be a welcomed change. We will take the league by storm if our guys listen to the new coaches and actually try. I remember seeing a play last year where Geno gave 3% effort and allowed the Browns to score a TD while lolly gagging around. Marv somehow managed to get Mr. Serious-Business-Do-Your-Job-and-Shut-Your-Mouth playing half assed???!!! That was 100% coaching.

Crazy that something as stupid as this gets me excited. But I believe it. Can you imagine coming in to work everyday and lame ass marv clapping and giggling to get you motivated to go lay it all on the line for him.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 10:40 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: "I just like how coach Lou is emphasizing so much that you gotta play hard"

"If you don't have all 11 guys running to the ball and giving your full effort then ya know your'e beat already. So. I think that's the biggest change. Which would be good for us."

https://www.bengals.com/video/vigil-it-s-good-to-be-out-there-moving-around-and-it-will-be-even-better-next-we

A coaching staff that pushes its players... This will be a welcomed change. We will take the league by storm if our guys listen to the new coaches and actually try. I remember seeing a play last year where Geno gave 3% effort and allowed the Browns to score a TD while lolly gagging around. Marv somehow managed to get Mr. Serious-Business-Do-Your-Job-and-Shut-Your-Mouth playing half assed???!!! That was 100% coaching.

Crazy that something as stupid as this gets me excited. But I believe it. Can you imagine coming in to work everyday and lame ass marv clapping and giggling to get you motivated to go lay it all on the line for him.

Yeesh...not exactly a ringing endorsement for Marv.

It just becomes more and more apparent that Marvin lost the respect of the players.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 10:40 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: "I just like how coach Lou is emphasizing so much that you gotta play hard"

Does this mean that they no longer have to "run on their own gas"??   Hmm

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Part of me really likes having younger/unproven coaches. Hopefully they are driven to make a name for themselves.

Our offense gets a new spin that no other team in the AFCN runs. Could backfire, but hey... could surprise the division. And our defense can't get much worse, players have to play... and hopefully the coach succeeds in getting through to them.

And I really want the new Ravens offense to hit a wall this year. I think Lamar embarrassed us in that loss where he showed little interest in passing it and ran all over us. I am just not a fan of QBs with tiny arms that run. I don't think it is viable in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Lewis had to be talked into coming back last year.
he had no.enthusiam or spirit in his last season as HC.
his attitude was whatever happens.....happens.
when you give guys like Nickerson and Cole playing time that tells me
your not trying to win.
just going through motions.
this new coaching staff wiĺl usher in a new spirit and energy from the practice field to to gsmeday
Reply/Quote
Seems like normal player talk. I wouldn’t read too much into it.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:11 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Seems like normal player talk. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Although it does seem that way, the key ingredients I take is a different attitude and approach. Win or lose, this will be an exciting year for Bengals fans and possibly the players as well.

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 07:57 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Although it does seem that way, the key ingredients I take is a different attitude and approach. Win or lose, this will be an exciting year for Bengals fans and possibly the players as well.

I have a hard time believing the previous coaching staff did not preach running to the ball.  Regardless, if a player is willing to make a comment it is very telling.  To me that shows they had little respect for the message they were getting.  More proof that Marv was stale to them.  Something fresh and unknown will have everyone on their toes.  That alone can make a big difference.

Just think about when you get a new boss.  You have to earn respect all over again.  What you did in the past is meaningless.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 07:57 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Although it does seem that way, the key ingredients I take is a different attitude and approach. Win or lose, this will be an exciting year for Bengals fans and possibly the players as well.

I agree. I have no idea how good this team will be but I am really excited to find out.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 08:40 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I have a hard time believing the previous coaching staff did not preach running to the ball.  Regardless, if a player is willing to make a comment it is very telling.  To me that shows they had little respect for the message they were getting.  More proof that Marv was stale to them.  Something fresh and unknown will have everyone on their toes.  That alone can make a big difference.

Just think about when you get a new boss.  You have to earn respect all over again.  What you did in the past is meaningless.

2 years ago I made a comment in a thread about MJ. I can't remember who we were playing, but I watched him come across the line and the LT picked him up while the play went the other way. The OT then took off to find someone else to black and MJ just stood there not even interested in following the play. They ran the same play again and MJ just walked back to the middle of the field, like he didn't have care in the world. The next play they run a reverse and MJ just watches...... 
Reply/Quote
Why the hell didn't vigil or any other player say anything about this last year?

This is nothing but generic player speak used to suck up to the new coaches. If grown men need to be told to play hard then they need to be replaced.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 11:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why the hell didn't vigil or any other player say anything about this last year?

This is nothing but generic player speak used to suck up to the new coaches. If grown men need to be told to play hard then they need to be replaced.

I'm just glad we finally we have a DC who will tell our defense to not suck and be lazy.  Hopefully our OC tells Dalton not to break his thumb this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 11:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why the hell didn't vigil or any other player say anything about this last year?

I mean it is at least possible that some of these guys didn't know any better - most of them spent their whole careers playing under Marvin, maybe it's always been like this and they just thought his approach was how it is under every NFL coach.

I agree that these guys need to motivate themselves to play hard, but accountability has to come from the coaching staff (at least at first). I definitely get he impression that Marvin let a lot slide, at least with certain players. Hopefully the new staff lights a fire under some of these guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 10:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: Yeesh...not exactly a ringing endorsement for Marv.

It just becomes more and more apparent that Marvin lost the respect of the players.

when does a professional athelete paid millions need to be told to play hard?
Reply/Quote

Didn't Austin talk about how the D was going to go non stop last year? Run to the ball every time it was on the ground as if it was a fumble, etc. etc.?

Fans were eating that up too. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: when does a professional athelete paid millions need to be told to play hard?

Actually, I thought a knock on Marvin was that he was a glorified cheerleader who clapped his hands and told his players to try hard.  

(05-16-2019, 12:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Didn't Austin talk about how the D was going to go non stop last year? Run to the ball every time it was on the ground as if it was a fumble, etc. etc.?

Fans were eating that up too. 

They're were gonna hawk the fudge outta that football.  All this talk of motivation reminds me of the World Cup where the countries who treat their athletes like pampered stars compete for the title and the athletes from countries where the ruler/prime minister/dictator can have them executed for shaming their county on the national stage get knocked out of the group stage every time.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: when does a professional athelete paid millions need to be told to play hard?

When *should* they need to be told to play hard? Never.
When *do* some players need to be told to play hard? More than you'd hope.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:10 PM)NKURyan Wrote: When *should* they need to be told to play hard? Never.
When *do* some players need to be told to play hard? More than you'd hope.

Are we really sure Marvin never told our defense to play hard or hustle last year?  Then again, maybe I'm a loser because my parents didn't tell me to work hard often enough. Hmm, excuses are kind of good for the psyche, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Are we really sure Marvin never told our defense to play hard or hustle last year?  Then again, maybe I'm a loser because my parents didn't tell me to work hard often enough.  Hmm, excuses are kind of good for the psyche, I guess.

Yep, pretty much. Their practices consisted of playing Madden 2018 while he clapped his hands and said, You did some good things. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 12:16 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yep, pretty much. Their practices consisted of playing Madden 2018 while he clapped his hands and said, You did some good things. Ninja

I have to admit, there is something amusing about getting fired up about this.  This would be like interviewing someone for a job and when you point out that his performance in the past was awful he says "Yeah, well my manager didn't care if I worked hard or not" and then he starts smiling and asking what his stock options will be once you hire him.
Reply/Quote