Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Injuries
I've been pondering this for sometime now. I realize other teams have injuries throughout the season, but to me it seems the Bengals always have more than usual. Do we have a conditioning program, or do the scouts look at past injuries of who we draft? I may be wrong on this but it just seems a bad omen to me! Confused
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2017, 01:39 PM)junglefever67 Wrote: I've been pondering this for sometime now. I realize other teams have injuries throughout the season, but to me it seems the Bengals always have more than usual. Do we have a conditioning program, or do the scouts look at past injuries of who we draft? I may be wrong on this but it just seems a bad omen to me! Confused

Meh, in 2015 we were one of the least injured teams in the league and the stars seemed to be aligning for us. Unfortunately there was a freak injury to the linchpin of the season, Andy Dalton.

It's football, every team has injuries. Sure some more than others, but it shouldn't be considered a team problem as much as just a year by year crapshoot. teams that get into the playoffs "healthy" are to be considered truly lucky.

Reply/Quote
We've been healthy generally but Dalton going down was huge in 2015.

In 2016 the Bengals had 12 ranking 3rd in health.

In 2015 the Bengals had 7 players on IR ranking 1st in health.

According to spotrac
Reply/Quote
Injuries, when only meaured numerically, don't account for the importance of the individual injured. With Eifert and AJ Green missing significant time, the offense suffered tremendously.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2017, 03:51 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Injuries, when only meaured numerically, don't account for the importance of the individual injured.  With Eifert and AJ Green missing significant time, the offense suffered tremendously.

That sounds an awful lot like the Bengals are at fault for making someone who can't stay on the field (Eifert) so important to their success. You know, rather than realizing he won't be there and planning accordingly in the draft/FA.

If you drove a car for a living, would you build your life around a car that only works 50% of the time?

I know another team who has an extremely talented TE that often gets injured. What'd they do? Went out and signed Michael Bennett in the offseason. Now they're in the SB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2017, 02:17 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: We've been healthy generally but Dalton going down was huge in 2015.

In 2016 the Bengals had 12 ranking 3rd in health.

In 2015 the Bengals had 7 players on IR ranking 1st in health.

According to spotrac

However, I believe that the Bengals were hit pretty hard by injuries to starters in 2014.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2017, 08:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: However, I believe that the Bengals were hit pretty hard by injuries to starters in 2014.

I am more concerned with the "diagnosis & treatment" phases of Bengals' injuries. History has not been kind in this regard.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2017, 08:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That sounds an awful lot like the Bengals are at fault for making someone who can't stay on the field (Eifert) so important to their success. You know, rather than realizing he won't be there and planning accordingly in the draft/FA.

If you drove a car for a living, would you build your life around a car that only works 50% of the time?

I know another team who has an extremely talented TE that often gets injured. What'd they do? Went out and signed Michael Bennett in the offseason. Now they're in the SB.

Offensively, they were fine without Eifert....not great, but ok.  Losing Eifert and Green?  Huge losses....I don't think Dallas would have been very good without Dez and Witten....
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2017, 01:39 PM)junglefever67 Wrote: I've been pondering this for sometime now. I realize other teams have injuries throughout the season, but to me it seems the Bengals always have more than usual. Do we have a conditioning program, or do the scouts look at past injuries of who we draft? I may be wrong on this but it just seems a bad omen to me!  Confused

Every team has injuries. Some handle them better than others. Some have players capable of stepping in at particular positions, some don't. Some estimate the extent of injuries fairly well while others don't.

The Bengals really don't seem to estimate the extent of injuries all that well. Marvin Jones, Eifert, AJ Green (last year), Thompson (went from PuP list to IR), Ogbuehi from the draft and last season. Now Ogbuehi has another injury. We'll probably kid ourselves and not bother bringing in another tackle. I'm expecting Og to play out his contract and finish it as one of the worst tackles in team history and all I have to say about it is, "f--- Mike Brown." You know it's he who is calling the shots on this guy. It just has Mikey written all over it the way it's been handled.

Bengals bring in on themselves.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2017, 12:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Offensively, they were fine without Eifert....not great, but ok.  Losing Eifert and Green?  Huge losses....I don't think Dallas would have been very good without Dez and Witten....

They would have still run it down people's throats. Plus the OL would protect long enough to let lesser players get open.

Would not have been great, but still a playoff team and much much much better than the Bengals sans Green. (I didn't say sans Eifert, because it is assumed he is not there.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote