Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvin era openers
6-7 overall

5-5 on road (That's right. 10 of 13 openers have been on the road.)

The 7 seasons that the Bengals have finished with a winning record they were 4-3 in openers.

Last opening day loss was '13 in Chicago.

In 5 of the 6 opening day victories under Marvin the Bengals had to come from behind to wim. So don't panic if we fall behind the Jets.

Only 2 opening day 300 yard passing games under Marvin.(Palmer v. NE '10, Dalton v. Bal '14). Best Palmer 354 yds.

Only 2 opening day 100 yard rushing games (Rudi v. Cle '05, Benson v. Cle '11). Best Rudi 126 yds.

Four opening day 100 yard receiving games (Chad v. NE '10, Green v. Chi '13 and Bal '14, Eifert v. Oak '15). Best Green 162 yds '13.

And, finally, esoteric stat of the day. . . Over the last 8 years the Bengals have won the coin toss on opening day 6 times but have only gone 2-4 in those games.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 6-7 overall

5-5 on road (That's right.  10 of 13 openers have been on the road.)

The 7 seasons that the Bengals have finished with a winning record they were 4-3 in openers.

In 5 of the 6 opening day victories under Marvin the Bengals had to come from behind to wim.  So don't panic if we fall behind the Jets.

Only 2 opening day 300 yard passing games under Marvin.(Palmer v. NE '10, Dalton v. Bal '14).  Best Palmer 354 yds.

Only 2 opening day 100 yard rushing games (Rudi v. Cle '05, Benson v. Cle '11).  Best Rudi 126 yds.

Four opening day 100 yard receiving games (Chad v. NE '10, Green v. Chi '13 and Bal '14, Eifert v. Oak '15).  Best Green 162 yds '13.

And, finally, esoteric stat of the day.  .  .  Over the last 8 years the Bengals have won the coin toss on opening day 6 times but have only gone 2-4 in those games.

Never thought would have to pull for the Bengals to lose the coin toss.

Will summon all my lucky drawers powers to go to work on this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Great information Fred! Historically we do start a little slow and finish fast. I can see this year going the same way.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 6-7 overall

5-5 on road (That's right.  10 of 13 openers have been on the road.)

In 5 of the 6 opening day victories under Marvin the Bengals had to come from behind to wim.  So don't panic if we fall behind the Jets.

Only 2 opening day 300 yard passing games under Marvin.(Palmer v. NE '10, Dalton v. Bal '14).  Best Palmer 354 yds.

Only 2 opening day 100 yard rushing games (Rudi v. Cle '05, Benson v. Cle '11).  Best Rudi 126 yds.

Four opening day 100 yard receiving games (Chad v. NE '10, Green v. Chi '13 and Bal '14, Eifert v. Oak '15).  Best Green 162 yds '13.

And, finally, esoteric stat of the day.  .  .  Over the last 8 years the Bengals have won the coin toss on opening day 6 times but have only gone 2-4 in those games.

In the famous words of FredToast when someone else is posting a thread like this..... Who cares those stats have no value to this weekend's game. These stats are meaningless...
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last 8 years the Bengals have won the coin toss on opening day 6 times but have only gone 2-4 in those games.

Where the hell do you find these statistics?  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 12:35 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Where the hell do you find these statistics?  Mellow

Don't you watch the game with a note pad and write everything down? I mean who doesn't write down who won the coin toss?  Ninja Ninja
Reply/Quote
Well, the Jets opener last year against Cleveland might be a bit misleading. The Jets won 31-10, but Fitz only had 179 yards passing. Chris Ivory had 90 rushing yards on 20 carries, which is a pretty good day, but it was the 5 turnovers that the Browns committed that basically gave this game away.

I think Marv will have a very conservative game plan on offense and let the Jets make the first mistake. I always wish for a more aggressive game plan on offense, but he has largely been successful against lesser teams. Although, to be fair, the Jets aren't bad.

I'm hoping Jeremy Hill comes out like a man possessed and takes this game over early.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 08:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Well, the Jets opener last year against Cleveland might be a bit misleading.  The Jets won 31-10, but Fitz only had 179 yards passing.  Chris Ivory had 90 rushing yards on 20 carries, which is a pretty good day, but it was the 5 turnovers that the Browns committed that basically gave this game away.  

I think Marv will have a very conservative game plan on offense and let the Jets make the first mistake.  I always wish for a more aggressive game plan on offense, but he has largely been successful against lesser teams.  Although, to be fair, the Jets aren't bad.  

I'm hoping Jeremy Hill comes out like a man possessed and takes this game over early.

Andy may have another plan.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2016, 02:03 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Never thought would have to pull for the Bengals to lose the coin toss.

Will summon all my lucky drawers powers to go to work on this.

Don't worry, I'll be pulling for them to win the toss, which will pretty much guarantee them losing the toss.. Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 12:35 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Where the hell do you find these statistics?  Mellow

PFR is your friend. Under the ad:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201509130rai.htm
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Man that opener against NE in '10 was UGLY. Carson and Chad padded their stats in garbage time.

Fun fact on that game: our biggest deficit was 31-3 (ouch) after a 97 yard kick return TD by......Brandon Tate (ouch).

Ok maybe that fact wasn't so fun.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
That Bears game was awful. I believe it was 21-3 at half and we were dominating. They came back and won 24-21 if I recall?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 12:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Man that opener against NE in '10 was UGLY. Carson and Chad padded their stats in garbage time.

Fun fact on that game: our biggest deficit was 31-3 (ouch) after a 97 yard kick return TD by......Brandon Tate (ouch).

On the flipside what a great feeling it was sitting in the stands in 2014 at Baltimore and having AJ and Dalton connect on a 77 yard pass late in 4th quarter just after Smith burned us for a TD to take the league.. How sweet that was 

Who Dey Wink
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 12:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: On the flipside what a great feeling it was sitting in the stands in 2014 at Baltimore and having AJ and Dalton connect on a 77 yard pass late in 4th quarter just after Smith burned us for a TD to take the league.. How sweet that was 

Who Dey Wink

Dalton and AJ have had really clutch plays against the Ravens the last few years. There are a lot of Dalton/Green career highlights with them playing the Ravens.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 12:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Man that opener against NE in '10 was UGLY. Carson and Chad padded their stats in garbage time.

I'm convinced that KR for a TD is the reason we picked him up off waivers in 2011. Lord knows Hobson would not stop writing about it.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I don't care how he got these stats. I like learning the odd facts at times. Thanks, Fred! Rock On
I used to be jmccracky. Or Cracky for short.
Reply/Quote