Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injuries Schminjuries
the only bad thing about some of the injurys is just timing...

The first trek of our schedule is the brutal part... but getting these guys back as the season goes along only makes us stronger.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 03:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: the only bad thing about some of the injurys is just timing...

The first trek of our schedule is the brutal part...  but getting these guys back as the season goes along only makes us stronger.

agreed, and I'd rather be getting guys back and getting stronger as we head into the back end of the schedule and into the playoffs.  Just gotta make sure we have enough starters healthy enough to be in playoff talk by that point  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 03:03 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Recent events contradict your opinions. Just last year our 1st round pick missed most of 2015, but we let A. Smith walk. Sounds like you have a vendetta against Dre and Peko which is fine, but your wrong on how the Bengals reacted recently to now knowing a guy can fill in for a starter due to injury.

Good point but we took two tackles early and Fisher showed promise. So they had that position covered no matter what.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The injuries that we have will hurt the team more than you let on. With Eifert and Burfict out the team is missing a big piece on both offense and defense. Plus when you add in people like LaFell where our depth isn't that great it's a pretty big blow. I wasn't too worried about WJ3 personally, but it would have been nice to have good depth at the CB position. I really think that Billings would have played a lot this year. He was looking like a beast so far, and the defense could have used a good rush stopper like him.

All in all the team is fine, but it doesn't look good when we have this many injuries this soon. We will get a few more on the way, and we just have to hope that it's not another major one like Green/Dalton/Atkins/Jones/Burfict/Eifert or the season could get out of control really fast.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 10:00 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: The injuries that we have will hurt the team more than you let on. With Eifert and Burfict out the team is missing a big piece on both offense and defense. Plus when you add in people like LaFell where our depth isn't that great it's a pretty big blow. I wasn't too worried about WJ3 personally, but it would have been nice to have good depth at the CB position. I really think that Billings would have played a lot this year. He was looking like a beast so far, and the defense could have used a good rush stopper like him.

All in all the team is fine, but it doesn't look good when we have this many injuries this soon. We will get a few more on the way, and we just have to hope that it's not another major one like Green/Dalton/Atkins/Jones/Burfict/Eifert or the season could get out of control really fast.

They may hurt more, but if that happens that will be because this team wasn't all that good to begin with, not that they were hit with injury.  Almost all contenders overcome some injury throughout the year. 

Look at last season.  Denver goes from having a All Pro, 5,000 yard, 100+ rated QB to  banged up shell of himself.  They were forced to start Brock Osweiler for half the season and part of the playoffs.  They went from an elite level QB to bottom half of the league.  They had injuries to Ware and Talib on defense at different points.  And they won the whole thing.

We're talking about a rookie RT, who's replacing an average veteran.  And he's only for a few weeks, not the season.  We're talking about a 4th round DT buried behind 4 capable vets, on a team known for not playing rookies.  We're talking about a 2 million dollar #2 receiver that may miss week 1.  We're talking about 2 reserves in the secondary. All the key names are healthy.  It's really not that big of a deal.

The team Denver faced in the Superbowl was Carolina.  They lost their top 10, #1 WR in the preseason last season.  They did just fine.

Seattle won it the year prior with two prized free agents (Harvin and Bennett) missing significant time.

Baltimore won it all in 2012 with Suggs starting the year on PUP, Ray Lewis getting IR'd mid-season, Ladarius Webb getting IR'd, and Ngata and Oher missing time.

Cody Core, Brandon Lafell, Billings, Obeueghi aren't as bad as almost all of the above.  Our HOF running back didn't get shut down for the season because he spanked his kid with some crazy stick.  Our QB didn't rape yet another woman, only to be suspended for the start if the year.  We're not down probably the greatest of QB of all time because our ball boy deflated his balls.  It could be a whole lot worse.

Yeah, it would be much better if we didn't have these injuries.  Or any injuries for that matter.  But that's football.  It's gonna happen.  I'm just glad Dalton, Green, Atkins, Whit, Bernard, Jones, Dunlap, Johnson, Iloka, etc. are all healthy.

I mean seriously, do we really think not having Billings or Core, or Brandon Lafell for a game or two, really diminishes the chances of this team to compete?  I mean, really?  Cody Core?  C'mon now.  Big deal.
Reply/Quote
If we're gonna get injuries....and every team always will...better now when we can get them back as the season goes on than towards the end of the season when we need them for playoffs.Case in point, Andy's thumb last year. If that had happened in week 3 instead of week 14, we would have been in a much stronger position during the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
Having injuries lessens expectations.
Lessened expectations make you the underdog.
Being the underdog makes you hungry.
Being hungry makes you unpredictable.
Being unpredictable creates fear.
Fear causes your opponents to make frequent mistakes.

I like our chances.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2016, 10:58 PM)Beaker Wrote: Case in point, Andy's thumb last year. If that had happened in week 3 instead of week 14, we would have been in a much stronger position during the playoffs.

Or we could have missed the playoffs if we lost Dalton from week 3 until week "who knows when he'd be back."  I suppose what concerns me about this whole thing (other than the fact that I'm just a miserable pessimist) is that there is no maximum number of injuries a team gets per season.  Starting off the season with a slew of injuries doesn't mean we're magically going to avoid injury the rest of the way because we got them out of the way in the preseason or before the bye week.

The silver lining is that none of our crucial players are battling injuries yet.

(08-18-2016, 12:36 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Having injuries lessens expectations.
Lessened expectations make you the underdog.
Being the underdog makes you hungry.
Being hungry makes you unpredictable.
Being unpredictable creates fear.
Fear causes your opponents to make frequent mistakes.

I like our chances.

Pffft!  The Browns have zero expectations and they are the underdoggiest underdogs always and forever.  My lord, they must be starving!  Are we scared yet?
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 03:51 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Or we could have missed the playoffs if we lost Dalton from week 3 until week "who knows when he'd be back."  I suppose what concerns me about this whole thing (other than the fact that I'm just a miserable pessimist) is that there is no maximum number of injuries a team gets per season.  Starting off the season with a slew of injuries doesn't mean we're magically going to avoid injury the rest of the way because we got them out of the way in the preseason or before the bye week.

The silver lining is that none of our crucial players are battling injuries yet.

Pffft!  The Browns have zero expectations and they are the underdoggiest underdogs always and forever.  My lord, they must be starving!  Are we scared yet?

If Dalton would have got hurt week 3 we probably would have been 9-7 at best. Unless he came back later in the year.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 03:51 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Pffft!  The Browns have zero expectations and they are the underdoggiest underdogs always and forever.  My lord, they must be starving!  Are we scared yet?

Yes ?

Stop using common sense, when I'm trying to bolster the troops !

Reply/Quote
From what I read, Billings wasn't exactly having a great camp, no?

Anyway, I agree with Wes' sentiment. However, the alarming thing is the timing. There are still 3 weeks left before the season starts and that is a lot of time for more injuries. That plus I hate not having Eifert playing against the Jets and Steelers. Beating AFC teams is crucial and I'd rather have our guys miss the games against the NFC teams (even though I really would like the Bengals to beat the Giants and Eagles for personal reasons).
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 12:26 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: From what I read, Billings wasn't exactly having a great camp, no?

Anyway, I agree with Wes' sentiment. However, the alarming thing is the timing. There are still 3 weeks left before the season starts and that is a lot of time for more injuries. That plus I hate not having Eifert playing against the Jets and Steelers. Beating AFC teams is crucial and I'd rather have our guys miss the games against the NFC teams (even though I really would like the Bengals to beat the Giants and Eagles for personal reasons).

Is this already 100% confirmed?  Or just the prevailing thought?  If it hasn't been definitively confirmed, I would like to maintain my optimism on this topic ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 12:07 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Yes ? Stop using common sense, when I'm trying to bolster the troops ! Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Oh my mistake.  We should get rid of all these fancy-pants millionaire spoiled draft pick guys and just sign a bunch of nobodies off the street for league-minimum.  Those guys will be stupid hungry and total underdogs and you know they'll be playing for the love of the game and NOT the money.

Seriously though, when I worked for the Cubs (I was just an operations schmo) my buddy and I were on the train coming back from a game and the guy saw the logos on our shirts and pretty much said the above, but with total seriousness.  Brilliant stuff, that.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 03:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Oh my mistake.  We should get rid of all these fancy-pants millionaire spoiled draft pick guys and just sign a bunch of nobodies off the street for league-minimum.  Those guys will be stupid hungry and total underdogs and you know they'll be playing for the love of the game and NOT the money.

Seriously though, when I worked for the Cubs (I was just an operations schmo) my buddy and I were on the train coming back from a game and the guy saw the logos on our shirts and pretty much said the above, but with total seriousness.  Brilliant stuff, that.
LOL..... I'm glad you "get" me.

I was going to roll into the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor, but....

Reply/Quote