Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injuries as an excuse
Taylor Excuse #20

Taylor doesn't have his own players in place yet, so how can anyone expect him to win.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2021, 05:38 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Do you mean the Chargers game? Hard to tell since we get unfairly robbed so often! Ninja

(09-03-2021, 01:03 PM)BengalChris Wrote: LMAO.

No, I was talking about the Seattle game, game 1 of Taylor's first season. It was Ross' career game, but the Bengals came up short after completely outplaying the Seahawks. At the end of that season it was explained, on this board, how that loss set the tone and a win that day could have led to the a playoff appearance. It was one of those, "we're really winners" type of threads.

I had forgotten about the Chargers game last season. You are correct, that was used as an excuse last season. It was a recycling of the same excuse from the season before.

I guess since it worked once as an excuse it was successful enough to bring back to explain the 2020 season failure.

I'm wondering if we'll hear it again later this year if the Bengals lose to the Vikings this weekend.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 04:00 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #20

Taylor doesn't have his own players in place yet, so how can anyone expect him to win.

Bengal Chris excuse for refusing to address the original topic of this thread

"Fred Toast owned me."

BTW isn't it against the rules to troll a thread by refusing to address the topic of the thread?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 07:33 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Violin

Is this a Taylor excuse thread? I've been waiting for this.

(09-02-2021, 04:11 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #1

Came in late because he was an assistant on a SB team. This delayed him an extra two weeks compared to assistants from Conference Championship games. Two weeks during a off-season was just too much for Taylor to over come.

(09-02-2021, 04:17 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #2

None of the experienced quality assistants would work under Taylor, many declining even to be interviewed, including some college assistants. This, of course, isn't his fault at all. Those experienced quality assistants were all just jealous he got the job with no legit resume. This saddled Taylor with the scrapings out of the bottom of a septic tank as his assistants.

(09-02-2021, 04:19 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #3

Andy Dalton was just a horrible, horrible QB nobody can win with. Being left with Dalton as the starting QB made a two win season really a victory for the team.

(09-02-2021, 04:20 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #4

It's all Marvin's fault!

(09-02-2021, 04:23 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #5

He had no choice but to pick Turner as the OL coach. They were old drinking buddies from Miami and that matters.

(09-02-2021, 04:25 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #6

Mike Brown is just the worst sports franchise owner there is. No body can have a winning record under him!

Oh wait?!?!?

(09-02-2021, 04:29 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #7

I sucked bad enough to get the top pick in 2020, that should count as a winning season. I'm the reason Burrow is here and since he's the best in generations, I should be given credit for that by all the fans everywhere!

(09-02-2021, 04:31 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #8

Marvin's players all hate me and won't buy into my "we're really winners" speech.

(09-02-2021, 04:33 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #9

Glenn quick on us at LT and how could I do anything about that.

(09-02-2021, 04:34 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #10

AJ Green is always injured. In fact, he was never really any good anyways. I was told he was great. Not my fault.

(09-02-2021, 04:36 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #11

Dunlap is just a sore loser. How dare he be upset about this team losing game after game.

(09-02-2021, 04:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #12

Mike Brown is a horrible owner. This counts twice because he's doubly bad.

(09-02-2021, 04:39 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #13

The AFC North is a hard division where they run the ball in bad weather and all that stuff. I don't know how to do that.

(09-02-2021, 04:42 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #14

NFL defenses are just behind the curve, once everyone adopts 11 personnel as the one and only offensive formation, then we'll be on top because we're the experts in that formation and we won't look so predictable then.

(09-02-2021, 04:45 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #15

I didn't draft John Ross.

(09-02-2021, 04:49 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #16

Drew Sample

(09-02-2021, 04:50 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #17

Covid affected us worse than everyone else.

(09-02-2021, 04:51 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #18

Bad Luck! Lady Luck and I were never friends. Cry

(09-02-2021, 05:03 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #19

We got robbed in that Seattle game and that set the tone for the whole season and we couldn't recover from that.

Be ready for a repeat of this one if Chase drops a potential game winning TD.

(09-03-2021, 12:56 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Every team has injuries last time I looked.

Winners don't need excuses.

Loser cling to them like the plague to justify their continued employment.

(09-07-2021, 04:00 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Taylor Excuse #20

You don't have to spam the thread, Chris. Just address the topic alone, which is injuries.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 11:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is getting ridiculous.

This year we addressed the O-line with a new coach, a top 10 paid free agent and O-line picks in the second and 4th rounds.

Last year we signed a lower tier free agent.

Why not just stop messing around and call yourself ALifetimeOfHate. You refuse to even address the issue in an honest manner.

I don't like Spain or XSF.  I think management has failed to replace these guys with decent starters when we have the money to do so.  Burrow gets mangled up again and it's over for us.

I think I got called out for my "hate" on your boy Bobby Hart last year that was supposed to be doing so well according to you (he's out of the league now btw).  Here's a clip of him blowing a block and the other one you cheerleader for (Spain) who plays a role in getting Jonah's knee torn up just in case you missed it.

https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/1335687111924731908?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1335687119692472320%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2Fnfl%2Fbengals%2Fgm-report%2Fbengals-offensive-line-issues-and-injuries

Sorry, but those guys suck and you'll never convince me otherwise.

Reiff and Pollack were decent moves (finally).  The jury is out on the draft picks as MJ didn't even make the team so nothing is definite, nor does it mean Pollack can make chicken soup out of chicken shit.

I think we'd all feel a lot better about JB if there were 5 average (at least) guys in front of him.  
I hope that was honest enough for you.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 05:41 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I think I got called out for my "hate" on your boy Bobby Hart last year that was supposed to be doing so well according to you (he's out of the league now btw).  Here's a clip of him blowing a block and the other one you cheerleader for (Spain) who plays a role in getting Jonah's knee torn up just in case you missed it.

https://twitter.com/JoeGoodberry/status/1335687111924731908?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1335687119692472320%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2Fnfl%2Fbengals%2Fgm-report%2Fbengals-offensive-line-issues-and-injuries

Sorry, but those guys suck and you'll never convince me otherwise.

I defended Hart's play in 2019.  He was not bad that year.  But he stunk in 2018 and again last year.  

Want to see a clip of Burrow throwing a ball directly to a defensive player?  Will you accept that as proof that Burrow sucks?  Not defending Hart here.  Just showing how silly your logic is.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 04:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengal Chris excuse for refusing to address the original topic of this thread

"Fred Toast owned me."

BTW isn't it against the rules to troll a thread by refusing to address the topic of the thread?

You are absolutely correct Fred! Let me take up injuries as an excuse directly.

Here's what happened last season. Through some bad personnel choices the Bengals starting oline sucked the donkey. Two season opening starters don't have NFL jobs now. That's not an injure issue, but rather a personnel choice issue.

With a rookie QB the coach had a pass-happy game plan despite the inept donkey suckers on the oline and he managed to get the starting QB killed in game 10. The team managed two wins in those 10 games. Then, with backup QBs, the coach changed the game plan away from 50 passes-a-game to a more run oriented plan which took pressure off the QB position and the team managed two wins in 6 games (an improvement).

A sad note, however, is it was not all the losses that got the coach to change the game plan, but rather the death of the starting QB. He didn't connect his game plan with the wins and losses. I will give him credit for well called games against the Titans and Steelers (2nd game) though.

The team signed Waynes to a top end contract, but he never played a down. Taylor and his DC, at that same time, were souring WJIII and he's now gone. Waynes is back in the nurses tent already and we'll be seeing Eli Apple instead. Another personnel choice f'up. WJIII > Waynes

Taylor and his DC were also busy souring Dunlap who was more vocal and was calling out the coaching staff. Frankly, they deserved to be called out. Of course, they had to trade him away for something less than a dog biscuit in return.

So, was it injuries or a bunch of bad personnel choices filling in the roster?

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 07:56 PM)BengalChris Wrote: So, was it injuries or a bunch of bad personnel choices filling in the roster?

Still can't comprehend that it is both?

Basic football 101 is over your head.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 08:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Still can't comprehend that it is both?

Basic football 101 is over your head.

Oh, the injuries do play a part Fred. I'm not denying that. But that's part of the game and the better teams are better prepared for them.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2021, 06:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I defended Hart's play in 2019.  He was not bad that year.  But he stunk in 2018 and again last year.  

Want to see a clip of Burrow throwing a ball directly to a defensive player?  Will you accept that as proof that Burrow sucks?  Not defending Hart here.  Just showing how silly your logic is.

If we had to watch clips of how Hart and Spain suck, we'd be here all day.  I didn't believe you about Hart then and I don't believe you about Spain now.  Sorry.

Don't compare Joe Burrow to Bobby Hart, it just makes you look silly.  We love JB.  He's our only hope.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2021, 12:17 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Don't compare Joe Burrow to Bobby Hart, it just makes you look silly.  

Don't accuse me of doing things I never did.

It makes you look silly.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2021, 07:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Every NFL team has injuries and the best teams usually have better #2 guys, but when you get down to third string no team has a lot of talent.  And that is what really hurt the Bengals last year.  The injuries were concentrated in specific spots.

Last year at this time I thought DT would be one of the strengths of the team.  We had Reader, Atkins, and Tupou who had combined to play over 1800 snaps in 2019.  But last year we only got 378 snaps form those top three DTs, and Geno was invisible in his 119 snaps with only one tackle for the entire year.  Instead our top 4 DTs in snaps played last year included three guys who could not make an NFL roster this year (Mike Daniels, Xavier Williams, Margus Hunt) and another guy who signed for less than $1 million dollars to play for his 4th different team in 4 years (Christian Covington).

We also got killed at CB.  Our top 4 CBs all missed at least two games and totaled 25 starts missed with injury.  LeShaun Simms, Jalen Davis, and Tony Brown combined to play 773 snaps at CB last year.  That was more than Mackensie Alexander (642) and Darius Phillips (593), and only about 100 fewer than Jackson (886).  No defense is going to hold up with their  #5-#7 CBs combining to play more snaps than all but one of their top 4.

O-line was a bloodbath.  We did not have a single O-lineman start 16 games last year and only two started more than 10.  We had 11 different players start on the O-line with 4 back ups getting at least 5 starts.  We were so desperate that 3 different O-linemen started at more than one position.  Bobby Hart, Alex Redmond, and Michael Jordan started 30 games for us last year and none of them have made an NFL roster in 2021.

Every team gets injuries, but any team who had as many injuries concentrated in specific groups like DT, O-line, and CB would have struggled.

Better luck with injuries could improve this team just as much as the big free agents and top draft picks.

I know you will probably get killed for this, but it is dead on.  Well, almost....

Joe Burrow
Joe Mixon
Jonah Williams
Sam Hubbard
Trey Hopkins

That is a list of starters that were lost to injury at some point for multiple games last year IN ADDITION to the position groups (CB, DT, Oline) you mentioned.  

Oh, and for good measure, two of the highest paid players on the team were completely useless (Green and Dunlap) and one was a cancer.  

If no one can acknowledge the perfect storm of crazy injuries combined with disappearing acts from their top talent, then I give up.  It is your choice if you want to just hate the coaches for the result of the field.  That is your right.  I, for one, love the team they have assembled and can't wait to watch them this year. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2021, 08:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know you will probably get killed for this, but it is dead on.  Well, almost....

Joe Burrow
Joe Mixon
Jonah Williams
Sam Hubbard
Trey Hopkins

That is a list of starters that were lost to injury at some point for multiple games last year IN ADDITION to the position groups (CB, DT, Oline) you mentioned.  

Oh, and for good measure, two of the highest paid players on the team were completely useless (Green and Dunlap) and one was a cancer.  

If no one can acknowledge the perfect storm of crazy injuries combined with disappearing acts from their top talent, then I give up.  It is your choice if you want to just hate the coaches for the result of the field.  That is your right.  I, for one, love the team they have assembled and can't wait to watch them this year. 

And you left out Geno who was less than even a shadow of his old self. Dude just pretty much took up a roster spot last year.

There are excuses for last year, none for this year though. Next man up, but if your starting QB goes down you will lose.

It is very rare you win games with your back up QB especially a guy like Finley. Amazing we beat the Stoolers but that was
because our Defense made turnovers and our OL blocked well in the run game. A lot has to come together to overcome the loss
of a player like Burrow. Hopefully we stay relatively healthy with our starters this season and there are no excuses whatsoever 
for Zac or Lou so we can properly judge them. Bet we win a lot of games if this happens. I agree, love the team they have put 
together. Should be fun.
Reply/Quote