Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injuries playoff week
(01-11-2022, 04:42 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: If that's the case roll with Carman at RG.  He may be a bit inconsistent but he's got a lot more natural power than Adeniji.  Just need Pollack in his ear all week telling him to PLAY LOW.  When he plays low and balanced with his frame he looks great, when he gets high he can get off-balance.  

Can't teach this kinda nasty though. 

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nothing powerful or dramatic about pushing a guy over that was stood up by his initial blocker.  Not to shit on Carman, but I was expecting to see him blowing a DT off of the ball, head up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 09:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nothing powerful or dramatic about pushing a guy over that was stood up by his initial blocker.  Not to shit on Carman, but I was expecting to see him blowing a DT off of the ball, head up.

Did you miss where he threw his man down at the end?

Believe that's the nastiness.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 09:08 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Did you miss where he threw his man down at the end?

Believe that's the nastiness.

Meh, looked more like pile diving to me.  But, as long as he's staying active until the whistle, that's encouraging.

I guess my thing is that for a guy that was the LT on a National Championship squad, and only lacked the qualifying length to be considered NFL Tackle material, I would think that a transition to RG would be a cake walk for a guy like that.  I've seen him make some high quality blocks this year, just as I've also seen him commit some serious blunders.  I'm hoping that he does develop into a powerful, dominating run blocker and unflappable pass protector.  However, this play isn't the one to claim that he's a "beast" upon.  All he did was shove a guy over that had already been stood up, and opportunistically hit some guy from the backside.

When I see a play claiming that he displayed great power, I want to see him knocking a reputable DT off the ball, and the RB getting good yardage as a result.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 09:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meh, looked more like pile diving to me.  But, as long as he's staying active until the whistle, that's encouraging.

I guess my thing is that for a guy that was the LT on a National Championship squad, and only lacked the qualifying length to be considered NFL Tackle material, I would think that a transition to RG would be a cake walk for a guy like that.  I've seen him make some high quality blocks this year, just as I've also seen him commit some serious blunders.  I'm hoping that he does develop into a powerful, dominating run blocker and unflappable pass protector.  However, this play isn't the one to claim that he's a "beast" upon.  All he did was shove a guy over that had already been stood up, and opportunistically hit some guy from the backside.

When I see a play claiming that he displayed great power, I want to see him knocking a reputable DT off the ball, and the RB getting good yardage as a result.

Carman is playing LG in the clip #79.  The guy he throws down is #4.  I think you are watching Trey Hill at RG.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 10:57 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Carman is playing LG in the clip #79.  The guy he throws down is #4.  I think you are watching Trey Hill at RG.

Wasn't Trey Hill playing center?  D'Ante Smith played RG

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 10:59 PM)pally Wrote:  
Wasn't Trey Hill playing center?  D'Ante Smith played RG

D'Ante played LT.  Hill moved from Center to RG after Adeniji went out with an injury.  

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 06:31 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. If you get a chance to get there, you have to go for it all. Marino looked like a guy that would go to the SB many times. Made it in his 2nd year, then never again. Made two other conference championships but lost them both. One of them was in '85, the year they beat the Bears and broke thier undefeated streak. They got blown out in the AFCCG. I wonder how much more interesting the SB would have been that year if Miami had made it over NE. 

Bears would have opened up an even bigger can of whip ass to avenge the monday night loss.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 07:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: We have been extremely fortunate but we are going to be contenders for quite awhile. After Zac addresses the OL in the draft and with the FO managing the salary cap room ( most room of all the playoff teams) to again participate freely in free agency we should get better and better.

You would think we would go into next season as one of the top three or four odds on favorites to win the AFC, especially if we do well in addressing our needs on the OL.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 06:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have been exceptionally lucky with injuries this year.  That is one of the big reasons I say we need to win now.  Lot's of people say we won't be true contenders for a year or two, but I believe winning a championship is as much about health and being hot at the right time as it is overall talent.

And we are not only healthy, we are as hot as we have been all year.  I think we have as good of a chance this year as we will in the future.

Nailed every word here Fred. Now is the time.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 10:57 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Carman is playing LG in the clip #79.  The guy he throws down is #4.  I think you are watching Trey Hill at RG.

Yeah, my mistake.  I thought that he was playing RG.  WTS, I certainly hope that he can ragdoll a guy half his size..   Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2022, 11:09 PM)Science Friction Wrote: You would think we would go into next season as one of the top three or four odds on favorites to win the AFC, especially if we do well in addressing our needs on the OL.

Never plan on the future in the NFL

After the 3rd week of the 2006 season Sports Illustrated had us ranked as the #1 team in the entire league and we had a lot of young talent.  But injuries, suspensions and free agency take out a lot of players (David Pollack, Odell Thurman, Chris Henry, Rich Braham, Levi Jones, Willie Anderson, Eric Steinabch) and we don't even have another winning season until '09.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2022, 10:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Never plan on the future in the NFL

After the 3rd week of the 2006 season Sports Illustrated had us ranked as the #1 team in the entire league and we had a lot of young talent.  But injuries, suspensions and free agency take out a lot of players (David Pollack, Odell Thurman, Chris Henry, Rich Braham, Levi Jones, Willie Anderson, Eric Steinabch) and we don't even have another winning season until '09.

I agree with this sentiment. The NFL is built for parity. A team's success can come crashing to a halt and losing squads become winners from one season the next. As NFL fans, I'm sure we've all come across the info about the average playing career for NFL players: 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240102/average-player-career-length-in-the-national-football-league/.

This suggests rosters experience turnover. The turnover doesn't always equate to teams maintaining their level of talent or winning. When teams see an opportunity to succeed, they can't, as toast offers, worry about the future. It's about embracing the present.
Reply/Quote
Darrin Simmons confirms that Evan McPherson is fine and the muscle tightness has resolved

Reply/Quote
There is already a thread on Higgins's addition to the report. Otherwise things are on the way up with even Ricardo Allen practicing

Reply/Quote
pretty darn good injury report going into the playoffs. Even Ricardo Allen, with his concussion, is looking ready to play. Stanley Morgan would be a loss on the special teams but it can be worked around if he is out

Reply/Quote