Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injury Riddled Training Camp and Preseason
I heard the TV announcers moaning over this in the 2nd preseason game, one being Anthony Munoz. I'll leave it at that if anybody cares to vent their concerns on some of the early injuries. Should Bengals now be watching the other teams preseason cuts extra hard. I will mention I heard announcers say Bengals can not afford any more key injuries this preseason.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
There is a big misconception that we have lost some key players... Other than Eifert and maybe Kroft... Ok and now Fisher, I don't think there are too many injuries that effect us immediately. They could down the road, but things like this happen to every team in the league. Go read Wes Mantooths post "Injuries Schminjuries". He does a great job of detailing how ya injuries suck, but Andy, AJ, Atkins, Dunlap, Hill, Gio, Zeitler, Whit, ect ect are all healthy. These are the guys you need healthy.
Reply/Quote
The most frustrating thing is that 90% of these injuries are things that side line a player for a two to three week time frame. Those little nagging tweaks that impact and limit play on the field. So, do let the player heal, knowing they will make a solid contribution on the field when they are healthy, or do you cut and go for another player now. Keeping in mind why the other player was cut in the first place.
Reply/Quote
Believe they will pay close attention to other teams cuts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The only position I'm concerned about is CB. It sounds like we're going to go with 5 safeties (Iloka, Williams, Shaw, Smith, Fejedelem) so maybe you only need 5 corners. Adam Jones, Dre K, 'Quez, and Chris Lewis-Harris are locks, but who is #5? Darius Hillary? Or maybe we just keep an 9 DBs, have Shaw and Smith swing between safety and corner and keep an extra...LB? DT? WR (Erickson who is a WR but really a returner)? OL?

If William Jackson III is IR designated to return late in the year, he doesn't count against the 53 until then, right?

Reply/Quote
That^ We need CB's.

Available:
1. Antonio Cromartie

2. Trumaine McBride

3. Tarell Brown

4. Javier Arenas

5. Cortez Allen

6. Ras-I Dowling

7. Phillip Adams

8. Josh Wilson

9. Brandon McGee

10. Jayron Hosley

Reply/Quote
Don't whine about injuries. It's part of the game.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 08:33 PM)Beaker Wrote: Don't whine about injuries. It's part of the game.

and part of the game is losing because you have too many injuries.  I know fans think you should just win no matter what, probably something an old pee wee coach told them.  The truth is, teams that stay healthy have a better run at the play-offs and Super Bowl and even good teams that get way too many key injuries just can't compete.  How huge was losing Dalton last season. How huge was losing just about all of our Wide Receivers and Tight Ends the year before....After the 1995 play-off season, we had a season where we lost all our top linebackers and we were doomed.  The next season we lost all our our offensive line to injuries and we were doomed....There is a point where you can have TOO MANY injuries. Once you pass that point, chances of winning are slim. ......The Bengals announcers including Anthony Munoz said on the air they wished preseason was over because the Bengals just can not afford any more preseason injuries.  Is Munoz whining or is he just telling it like it is ???........I'm going to go with Munoz and say keep your fingers crossed that there are no more preseason injuries to starting players. We don't want to limp into New York counting on too many bench warmers......Now I will say the 2012 Bengals were amazing. All those offensive linemen they lost. many before regular season. Center was a disaster area. The team started 3-5. I think it was Coach Lewis best coaching job that he held it together, made adjustments to all those O Line injuries, and the team finished 7-1 to make the play-offs with a year long banged up, make shift O Line of many replacement players. Even the kicker was a replacement player. That normally does not happen, but just a great job of coaching and player moves that year. ...Most injury riddled years have not went as well...We had no chance at Indy in play-offs, but the game had to be played. ...I think it's safe to say we missed Dalton down the stretch last year.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
As another said, we need more secondary depth. Nothing flashy just a solid backup at CB. Perhaps a CB that can play S as well if need be. Other than that I think we'll be alright.
Reply/Quote