Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Injury To Long Snapper Stopped Comeback Win
With 2 seconds left, Burrow had hit Chase in the end zone for game tying TD, and McPherson kick would have won game. However the regular snapper injured during game, and the replacement snapped the ball back slower and off time.

Then in overtime a McPherson kick would have won, but the replacement snapped it high, Huber had to reach up to grab it and never got the ball right in time for McPherson leg swing.

Later in overtime the Bengals were afraid to kick. No faith left in the replacement snapper.

So now we all know the importance of the regular long snapper, if we didn't before.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Crazy how the bengals almost won with a minus 5 TO differential.

That really should be the 1 big positive takeaway here, aside from all the obvious negatives
Reply/Quote
Things yo can't make up:

I've seen a post today blaming the loss on the coaches because we don't have 2 long snappers on the 45
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Old enough to remember Brad St. Louis getting the yips
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 10:47 PM)kevin Wrote: With 2 seconds left, Burrow had hit Chase in the end zone for game tying TD, and McPherson kick would have won game.  However the regular snapper injured during game, and the replacement snapped the ball back slower and off time.

Then in overtime a McPherson kick would have won, but the replacement snapped it high, Huber had to reach up to grab it and never got the ball right

Later in overtime the Bengals were afraid to kick.  No faith left in the replacement snapper.

So now we all know the importance of the regular long snapper, if we didn't before.

I do think that summarizes the loss. The kicking unit of the Bengals was the one unit we had absolute confidence in. I think all Bengals fans put a W in the book when Chase scored that touchdown, on a play that might have run out the clock had he not caught it. A huge high. Never expected to hear the announcer saying the long snapper was injured.

Any word on how and when Clark got injured? 
Reply/Quote
Evan McPherson had a real stand-up response, blaming himself not the long snapper:

""I have full trust in Mitch. At the end of the day, I just couldn't get it done," McPherson said. "Twenty-nine yards is 29 yards. I can hit that with my left foot, so there's really no excuse for me to not make that one."
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 10:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Things yo can't make up:

I've seen a post today blaming the loss on the coaches because we don't have 2 long snappers on the 45

You should have someone on ST comfortable doing it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 11:05 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You should have someone on ST comfortable doing it.

Apparently Mitchell Wilcox practices it twice a week in practice. Things we never had to learn before about long snappers.
Reply/Quote

(09-11-2022, 11:05 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You should have someone on ST comfortable doing it.

Well, I didn't want to put you on blast, but if you insist. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 11:08 PM)Nepa Wrote: Apparently Mitchell Wilcox practices it twice a week in practice. Things we never had to learn before about long snappers.

Really? The way he lobbed the PAT I assumed he just wanted to make sure he got it there.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 10:55 PM)Nepa Wrote: I do think that summarizes the loss. The kicking unit of the Bengals was the one unit we had absolute confidence in. I think all Bengals fans put a W in the book when Chase scored that touchdown, on a play that might have run out the clock had he not caught it. A huge high. Never expected to hear the announcer saying the long snapper was injured.

Any word on how and when Clark got injured? 

Bicep injury covering a return
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 11:09 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well, I didn't want to put you on blast, but if you insist. 

Got nothing else going on right now, and as it turns out, ^^^ I’m correct. He just sucks at it.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 11:08 PM)Nepa Wrote: Apparently Mitchell Wilcox practices it twice a week in practice. Things we never had to learn before about long snappers.

Wow. He looked like he rarely did that.
Reply/Quote
It is wild to me that the Steelers were down TJ Watt (their best defensive player) and Najee Harris (their top offensive player) at the end and an injury to our freaking long snapper ends up being more consequential. LOL

Hard to even get upset at something like that and just chalk it up to the chaoticness that is sports sometimes.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 12:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Wow. He looked like he rarely did that.

for someone who has never performed a long snap in a NFL game he actually did fairly well.  Every snap was on target, one was a little high, but it wasn't over anyone's head, they weren't off to the side.  The punt got off with no problems.  The blocked extra point was due to a missed block.  Yeah the high snap may have been why McPherson missed the FG but frankly, the kicker should also be practicing kicks with less-than-perfect holds.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
That XP went through the air like molasses, and when I seen that I said his next one would be hiked too hard and go high. Sure enough.

I have no doubts the dude practices it; but practice and live games are different animals.

Shit happens and you move on. No point in dwelling on it.
Reply/Quote

Lot of things to Blame coach T for in that game... Not keeping 2 Long snappers isnt one of them lol
Reply/Quote
So are we signing the kid who lost the starting job to Clark for the upcoming week?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 10:54 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: So are we signing the kid who lost the starting job to Clark for the upcoming week?

Clark is out for the season.  Cal will be called up.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2022, 08:46 AM)pally Wrote: for someone who has never performed a long snap in a NFL game he actually did fairly well.  Every snap was on target, one was a little high, but it wasn't over anyone's head, they weren't off to the side.  The punt got off with no problems.  The blocked extra point was due to a missed block.  Yeah the high snap may have been why McPherson missed the FG but frankly, the kicker should also be practicing kicks with less-than-perfect holds.

I don't think the FG was just high.  Seems like Huber caught it above his helmet. 

Reply/Quote