Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Insanity is doing the same.." -Carlos Dunlap
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...both on & off field” what do you think he was talking about there?"
I'm curious as well as far as what Carlos meant... any guesses?

Full section from the Hobson's Choice article:
https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-choice-on-to-k-c

"My question is the front defensive line. The week before the Steeler game the defensive line seemed to wake up halfway thru the third quarter and was overpowering all the fourth. This was not the same vs the Steelers, I observed that they double teamed Atkins but still no sacks. Was it a letdown from the previous week or were they out-coached? Steve Guenther, Saint Paris, OH

STEVE: I’d say neither. The Steelers have a much better offensive line than the banged-up Dolphins and Miami didn’t have two starters going into the game before they lost its left tackle early in the second half. Also, as Bengals defensive coordinator Teryl Austin noted Monday, the Steelers changed up their looks and went with their package of tight ends more than they have:

“They were more of a 3 wide set (before Sunday),” Austin said. “And I think part of the reason they went to that is because that'll negate some of your pass rush. That's going to keep you with your big people, keep you in your regular sets and keep you out of your substitution, and keep guys like (ends) Carl (Lawson) and Carlos (Dunlap) and those guys from really teeing off.”

Carlos Dunlap made a comment after the loss to the Steelers, something to the effect of “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...both on & off field” what do you think he was talking about there? Beau Christopher

BEAU: I’m not going to guess. I’m not going to try and read a person’s mind. That would not only be speculative, but irresponsible. Besides, when I asked him what were the same things he answered, “Figure it out for yourself.” Like you, I still am."

Not sure where to find the full video clip but here is some of it:
https://www.cincinnati.com/videos/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/10/14/video-carlos-dunlap-talks-insanity-after-bengals-loss-steelers/1643570002/
Reply/Quote
Side note, to people who say this is the definition of insanity...please stop. It's not the definition at all. It often is attributed to all sorts of famous figures with no proof anyone ever said it. Sorry this has nothing to do with this thread, but if I can get people to stop saying it I feel like I am making the world a better place HaHa.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 02:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: Side note, to people who say this is the definition of insanity...please stop. It's not the definition at all. It often is attributed to all sorts of famous figures with no proof anyone ever said it. Sorry this has nothing to do with this thread, but if I can get people to stop saying it I feel like I am making the world a better place HaHa.

Insanity is thinking you have a shot at making people stop saying stupid shit.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 02:17 PM)Au165 Wrote: Side note, to people who say this is the definition of insanity...please stop. It's not the definition at all. It often is attributed to all sorts of famous figures with no proof anyone ever said it. Sorry this has nothing to do with this thread, but if I can get people to stop saying it I feel like I am making the world a better place  HaHa.

"If one were to define the word 'insanity', yes, the very DEFINITION of the word 'insanity' is to do the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again but expecting different results every time. That is CLEARLY the best way to define 'insanity'. How anyone else could say otherwise is just, well, stupid." - Au165

Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 12:45 PM)CoCoNuT Wrote: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...both on & off field” what do you think he was talking about there?"
I'm curious as well as far as what Carlos meant... any guesses?

Full section from the Hobson's Choice article:
https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-choice-on-to-k-c

"My question is the front defensive line. The week before the Steeler game the defensive line seemed to wake up halfway thru the third quarter and was overpowering all the fourth. This was not the same vs the Steelers, I observed that they double teamed Atkins but still no sacks. Was it a letdown from the previous week or were they out-coached? Steve Guenther, Saint Paris, OH

STEVE: I’d say neither. The Steelers have a much better offensive line than the banged-up Dolphins and Miami didn’t have two starters going into the game before they lost its left tackle early in the second half. Also, as Bengals defensive coordinator Teryl Austin noted Monday, the Steelers changed up their looks and went with their package of tight ends more than they have:

“They were more of a 3 wide set (before Sunday),” Austin said. “And I think part of the reason they went to that is because that'll negate some of your pass rush. That's going to keep you with your big people, keep you in your regular sets and keep you out of your substitution, and keep guys like (ends) Carl (Lawson) and Carlos (Dunlap) and those guys from really teeing off.”

Carlos Dunlap made a comment after the loss to the Steelers, something to the effect of “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result...both on & off field” what do you think he was talking about there? Beau Christopher

BEAU: I’m not going to guess. I’m not going to try and read a person’s mind. That would not only be speculative, but irresponsible. Besides, when I asked him what were the same things he answered, “Figure it out for yourself.” Like you, I still am."

Not sure where to find the full video clip but here is some of it:
https://www.cincinnati.com/videos/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/10/14/video-carlos-dunlap-talks-insanity-after-bengals-loss-steelers/1643570002/

My gut feeling is that the defense didn't try (or failed at trying) to make adjustments throughout the game and kept trying to will their way to desired results. But that also might be just a guess based on many previous years of seeing lack of adjustments.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Isn't it less the definition of insanity than it is the definition of stupid?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 02:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My gut feeling is that the defense didn't try (or failed at trying) to make adjustments throughout the game and kept trying to will their way to desired results. But that also might be just a guess based on many previous years of seeing lack of adjustments.

So the Defense's tactic is the same as my putting tactic?? I just "hope" it works?
Reply/Quote
The Defensive line was being held all day against the Steelers. I know there are holding calls each play and the refs have to call the game and keep it consistent for the entire game. But it sure seemed like there is a bias against the Bengals regarding calls not going their way along the line. Seriously, that holding call on Hart was laughable. Yet, Geno and Dunlap were getting stripped searched by the Steelers.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 02:25 PM)PhilHos Wrote: "If one were to define the word 'insanity', yes, the very DEFINITION of the word 'insanity' is to do the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again but expecting different results every time. That is CLEARLY the best way to define 'insanity'. How anyone else could say otherwise is just, well, stupid." - Au165

Ninja

I can make up fake definitions of words and tell people they are the very definition of them, it doesn't make them true....except for insanity. Weird how this has been allowed to continue for so long. I blame the schools who don't fail students who continue to use this cliche in their writings.

Fun Fact: Perseveration is actually what people are talking about when they use this misguided cliche.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 02:38 PM)sandwedge Wrote: So the Defense's tactic is the same as my putting tactic?? I just "hope" it works?

“Just stick to the plan and eventually it will work!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Great callout. The crutch of this lame cliche has always been a bit much. It actually doesn't make a lick of sense. In sports, doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results, is the very definition of practice makes perfect. 

I'm sure Carlos knows this too. The team could have been perfectly executing whatever was practiced all week and called in-game, but if it wasn't working, it would be insane at that point not to actually change it up. 

But the end of this entire parlor game of why couldn't the Bengals get any pressure on Pig Ben really lies in what a few others have already so brilliantly pointed out: 

There is blatant bias when it comes to officiating this game every year, particularly in regards to holding. The legend of Shittsburgh, left armpit of America, must be upheld at all costs! The Bengals must not be allowed to escape alive with a win. It's always going to be a turkey shoot.

What IS  the definition of insanity is thinking that a line-up that includes all world Geno Atkins, and no slouches either in Dunlap, Lawson, Willis, and Hubbard +, can't get through even once?!?! Somebody on here has already done a public service by taking the official game highlights and highlighted exactly where egregious no-calls were made all throughout the game, and that's only over a 12 minute edit. 

It's a joke that has fallen flat too often for me now. Anyone that says it happens on both sides, or that we should overcome it, is a lazy dotard, and certainly not paying attention. It's been pointed out on here plenty times before that most games/teams in the NFL on any given Sunday are built and play close to parity. 

Fred Toast has posted the Bengals winning % and Shittsburgh winning % against other teams since the Dalton era, and they're damn near identical. The rub is that we're on the losing end of an 80/20 split with them head-to-head. The question was why do they dominate us like that?...Because the league and Roger Goodell's piss colored parachute allows them too - plain and pathetically simple. 

We shouldn't have to play perfect ball and pretend to have a perfect coach to walk away with let's say just 40% of the games against this team. What are we, like 3 out of 15 since 2011?...Slide 4 more wins our way and it's practically even.  The majority of you all here on the hallowed forums don't think that there's enough lopsided influential no-calls/horrendous do-calls/and screwy shite that goes down with the scheduling/suspensions to manifest a couple neanderthal thumbs on the scales to tip a few games in favor of one piss leafed golden child over an otherwise pretty evenly performing orange headed step child across the last 7+ years? Of course there has been. It's beyond obvious. 

Get out of here with the, "AJ and Core should have caught all the balls in the rain...We had to go for it on 4th and 1...Ben's shirt doesn't need a tide pod..." It's amazing how close you can keep a game and steal it by a score or so when you don't have to play by the same rules. 4 quarters of hall-of-fame holding and 10 seconds of pick-and-roll will do that.  

I know it doesn't feel good to point a finger. I've got a big middle one for the league and those Gooney's up river. I stopped watching WWE as a teenager, but I doubt I'll stop watching the NFL anytime soon (though I've surprised myself letting MLB slip through my heart, not with a loud pouting walk-off, but with an almost indifferent shrug when it became obvious that fair competition isn't what drives that sport anymore either.)

If you're an action-oriented person, and I'm hoping I still am, the best thing I can imagine to do is to take all this amazing energy on these boards and start standing up for ourselves in the national outlets. Get our own set of talking points and take it too them. And also seek solidarity with other teams that get shat on by these preferred leeches. Other teams' fans have to notice the con job that happens to their teams too in favor of a few select teams and narratives. Would you say there's at least 15 teams out there that have no real influence or consideration when they come up against the League's pre-selected shield? Get that ball rolling with half the teams' and their supporters, and there's an outside chance that a tipping point of pent-up disgust could change something, or it could be all fantasy football (grow up) from here on out. 

Anyway - Carlos is most likely not impressed with the Austin's scheme by those comments. I'm not impressed with how Vince McMahon finally got his greasy grease all over the real NFL, and I hope Roger and the Rooneys are impressed with a racketeering charge in my lifetime. 

Now let's all go crazy, and repeat this over and over again. 
Reply/Quote
Well technically you could do the same thing over and over and get different results.

I mean you could keep being a pain in the ass until someone just gives in because they're sick of your shit.

Other variables change other than the one that is constant.  

This cliche saying about "insanity" is not accurate at all.

It's more about odds than anything...  or OCD... ?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We must be insane because we keep watching Marvin's teams getting their hats handed to them by the Steelers and expecting a different outcome. If the Steelers are holding WTH isn't he throwing the refs under the bus like Tomlin did just like last week? New leadership anyone?????
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 07:48 PM)The Gooney Rule Wrote: Great callout. The crutch of this lame cliche has always been a bit much. It actually doesn't make a lick of sense. In sports, doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results, is the very definition of practice makes perfect. 

I'm sure Carlos knows this too. The team could have been perfectly executing whatever was practiced all week and called in-game, but if it wasn't working, it would be insane at that point not to actually change it up. 

But the end of this entire parlor game of why couldn't the Bengals get any pressure on Pig Ben really lies in what a few others have already so brilliantly pointed out: 

There is blatant bias when it comes to officiating this game every year, particularly in regards to holding. The legend of Shittsburgh, left armpit of America, must be upheld at all costs! The Bengals must not be allowed to escape alive with a win. It's always going to be a turkey shoot.

What IS  the definition of insanity is thinking that a line-up that includes all world Geno Atkins, and no slouches either in Dunlap, Lawson, Willis, and Hubbard +, can't get through even once?!?! Somebody on here has already done a public service by taking the official game highlights and highlighted exactly where egregious no-calls were made all throughout the game, and that's only over a 12 minute edit. 

It's a joke that has fallen flat too often for me now. Anyone that says it happens on both sides, or that we should overcome it, is a lazy dotard, and certainly not paying attention. It's been pointed out on here plenty times before that most games/teams in the NFL on any given Sunday are built and play close to parity. 

Fred Toast has posted the Bengals winning % and Shittsburgh winning % against other teams since the Dalton era, and they're damn near identical. The rub is that we're on the losing end of an 80/20 split with them head-to-head. The question was why do they dominate us like that?...Because the league and Roger Goodell's piss colored parachute allows them too - plain and pathetically simple. 

We shouldn't have to play perfect ball and pretend to have a perfect coach to walk away with let's say just 40% of the games against this team. What are we, like 3 out of 15 since 2011?...Slide 4 more wins our way and it's practically even.  The majority of you all here on the hallowed forums don't think that there's enough lopsided influential no-calls/horrendous do-calls/and screwy shite that goes down with the scheduling/suspensions to manifest a couple neanderthal thumbs on the scales to tip a few games in favor of one piss leafed golden child over an otherwise pretty evenly performing orange headed step child across the last 7+ years? Of course there has been. It's beyond obvious. 

Get out of here with the, "AJ and Core should have caught all the balls in the rain...We had to go for it on 4th and 1...Ben's shirt doesn't need a tide pod..." It's amazing how close you can keep a game and steal it by a score or so when you don't have to play by the same rules. 4 quarters of hall-of-fame holding and 10 seconds of pick-and-roll will do that.  

I know it doesn't feel good to point a finger. I've got a big middle one for the league and those Gooney's up river. I stopped watching WWE as a teenager, but I doubt I'll stop watching the NFL anytime soon (though I've surprised myself letting MLB slip through my heart, not with a loud pouting walk-off, but with an almost indifferent shrug when it became obvious that fair competition isn't what drives that sport anymore either.)

If you're an action-oriented person, and I'm hoping I still am, the best thing I can imagine to do is to take all this amazing energy on these boards and start standing up for ourselves in the national outlets. Get our own set of talking points and take it too them. And also seek solidarity with other teams that get shat on by these preferred leeches. Other teams' fans have to notice the con job that happens to their teams too in favor of a few select teams and narratives. Would you say there's at least 15 teams out there that have no real influence or consideration when they come up against the League's pre-selected shield? Get that ball rolling with half the teams' and their supporters, and there's an outside chance that a tipping point of pent-up disgust could change something, or it could be all fantasy football (grow up) from here on out. 

Anyway - Carlos is most likely not impressed with the Austin's scheme by those comments. I'm not impressed with how Vince McMahon finally got his greasy grease all over the real NFL, and I hope Roger and the Rooneys are impressed with a racketeering charge in my lifetime. 

Not to mention that the Steelers were the most penalized team coming in and the second most in holding calls (offensive) yet they play a perfect game against us.

Why do you think they start this Burfict shit up? 

Its because the media was talking about that pick play. Soon as they heard all the backlash they started showing Shazier walking again and the Burfict is horrible crap.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 06:58 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: Not to mention that the Steelers were the most penalized team coming in and the second most in holding calls (offensive) yet they play a perfect game against us.

Why do you think they start this Burfict shit up? 

Its because the media was talking about that pick play. Soon as they heard all the backlash they started showing Shazier walking again and the Burfict is horrible crap.

Straight up. 

This is NOT a coincidence. The only talent the league and those Gooneys showed was all-world trolling and expert maintenance of the Gaslight District; Geno Atkins called for DEFENSIVE HOLDING! GTFO. 

And you're completely correct. It's obvious what coordinated talking points can do for a national narrative. And it sadly works; these tactics pervade every aspect of our society now. 

So if we can't beat 'em... - It has to start with our fans, relentlessly making points like these known from our side to any other forum you can make a presence on.

These pisspots have done eff' all since Andy & AJ came in the league (though you wouldn't know it from all the slob jobs the Squealers get from national outlets and advertising), so to give them any semblance of a chance, the league gives their most immediate obstacle, the Bengals, a cut block every time we play them, all in the name of hoping the "Killer D-bags" pull their shittsburgh together and actually try to advance in the name of these Gooney pirates. 

Why the most relentless and predictable damage to Cincinnati? Because we've had the most sustained success in the division over that time, and instead of reasonably expecting to roughly split our season series with them, they're given the extra division win, allowing them the best chance to squeak by from time to time.  

And on a related note -people are out of their minds if they think that Antonio Clown is better than AJ Green. On the field he pushes off like a small child. Off the field he's nowhere near a man. 

You're a sad sack if you think that Pig Ben is worth a second look if he didn't have his Thick Piss Line of hand holders in front of him. He's a tub of pierogies and blow that would get lit up if even an average d-line was allowed to play him on the level. His team literally sent in a goon on our opening drive in '05 to eliminate his best chance at demise from the start. His best play that elevated the legend of a live rapist was a shoestring tackle on a typical pick thrown. The legend was forever lacquered with taint stain and one for the thumb up the bum when the Seahawks got the Queen City Reach Around for whatever flags and blind reviews required to get the jobbers done. 

The only way they're a dynasty is through true competition dying a nasty death.   

It's time to go full avalanche of facts, framing, and solid support to let people know the AFC North hasn't been given a fair shake for going on decades. With a sustained effort, maybe the flags will finally turn, and the Mason Rudolph era will start with a much deserved big red bloody nose.
Reply/Quote
Who knows exactly what Dunlap meant?

It could be not going for it on 4th and 1. Many of us fans wanted us to go for it. We just got them on a hard count to set up 3rd and 1, Mixon doesn't get the needed yardage, try to get them to jump again. If not, then give Mixon another shot at 1 yard or have Dalton keep it. We didn't even thing about it, we immediately sent out the punt unit.

It could be the extremely poor play calling with 2 mins left in the game. I actually rewatched the game and it makes Marvin look even more of an idiot. In the 1st half, we got the ball back with just over 1 minute on the clock, we were able to march right down the field and score with only 19s remaining. So what does our genius HC do when we are already passed midfield with 2 mins on the clock and 2 TOs, knowing that our opponent has all 3 TOs? He tried to score as fast as he could and then put out the Defense to try to hold the Steelers our to FG range. I have seen that same approach on countless games and while we have won some, we have lost many more.

It could be going pass happy when we supposedly have one of the "most dynamic" RBs in the league. Something we seem to do against the Steelers a lot.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 07:48 PM)The Gooney Rule Wrote: Great callout. The crutch of this lame cliche has always been a bit much. It actually doesn't make a lick of sense. In sports, doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results, is the very definition of practice makes perfect. 

Agree with a bunch of this and the narrative won't change until every team that has been victimized by the blatant bias in Schitzburg's favor raises the issue and most coaches are under a gag order about such issues. Marvin certainly isn't going to and neither are most coaches. Once they do they know how it can be used against them when their teams are winning . Most players think the same way I have to assume  so it has to come from the fans around the country and not just in Cincinnati . Usually when pundits bring it up they get immediately labeled as conspiracy theorists and are out of a job. There's really only one pundit who isn't afraid and the league won't have anything to do with him,  Brian Touhey. 
From http://www.thefixisin.net :
Quote:Interestingly, in the Bears v. Dolphins game, the Bears lost a TD - which turned in a turnover on the next play - because of a "pick" play run by the Bears TE. Had the TD stood, the game might - coulda, woulda, shoulda - have gone the Bears way. But a similar pick play run by the Steelers in their game against the Bengals wasn't flagged, and as a result, the Steelers won. Of course, the NFL offered an official explanation why this wasn't a penalty, but the "pick" play which is run week after week is one of those subjective calls that can/can't be flagged at an official's discretion..
All the league has to do is "offer an official explaination".. Once that happens it's carved in stone , case closed forever and ever and ever and ever and ever.. Against the Bengals we KNOW it's a predetermined "case closed"  when it involves the Squats. 

Isn't it interesting how certain calls are always reviewable while others are solely at the refs discretion?  We're never really told which ones are and aren't referee discretion until after the outcome of games are determined? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

Hot damn son.....you don't post much, but when you do, it's pure gold. Rock On

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 03:16 PM)Au165 Wrote: I can make up fake definitions of words and tell people they are the very definition of them, it doesn't make them true....except for insanity. Weird how this has been allowed to continue for so long. I blame the schools who don't fail students who continue to use this cliche in their writings.

Fun Fact: Perseveration is actually what people are talking about when they use this misguided cliche.

"The definition of the word 'definition' is people doing the same results over and over again and expecting different insanity each thing." - Au165

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 10:12 AM)PhilHos Wrote: "The definition of the word 'definition' is people doing the same results over and over again and expecting different insanity each thing." - Au165

Mellow

The above silly tripe as well as great minds think alike , et al..  They're phrases thrown around to make people feel like they almost know what they're talking about when in fact in 99% of the cases they certainly do not .. Look at politicians .. "The American people want ..." even when the overwhelming majority are dead set against whatever garbage they're pandering... 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote