Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inside the Third Reich
Anyone read this? I just finished reading it again, and it's fascinating. You can argue that it's self-serving (I'm sure it is), but the first person insight into the Nazis and especially Hitler is just amazing. Even if you dismiss parts as Speer trying to redeem himself, you still get to sit right next to Hitler and his other henchmen.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 11:35 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Anyone read this?  I just finished reading it again, and it's fascinating.  You can argue that it's self-serving (I'm sure it is), but the first person insight into the Nazis and especially Hitler is just amazing.  Even if you dismiss parts as Speer trying to redeem himself, you still get to sit right next to Hitler and his other henchmen.

Author?
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 01:09 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Author?

Albert Speer
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Sounds like a good read.

Looks like it was turned to a movie too.

[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 01:42 PM)Steeler Eater Wrote: Sounds like a good read.

Looks like it was turned to a movie too.

It can be a little tedious at times, and he paints himself in the best  light possible, but he was right there the whole time.

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 01:34 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Albert Speer

Cool, I'll see if I can check it out.
Reply/Quote
Read it about 3 years. It was an excellent read, but at the same time it appears he was more involved in the holocaust than he wrote about. Outside of that though, it was fascinating reading about the inner Nazi circle from the 30's until the end.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 11:23 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Read it about 3 years. It was an excellent read, but at the same time it appears he was more involved in the holocaust than he wrote about. Outside of that though, it was fascinating reading about the inner Nazi circle from the 30's until the end.

For a long time many believed and/or assumed most of the worst crimes/murders in the holocaust were the work of the SS, special groups, hard core Nazi's etc. But as more documents and such have come to light in recent years it's quite obvious the regular German Army was way more involved than previously generally believed.
Reply/Quote
[Image: cf4d143606d8b092398b0e4469fdfa66.jpg]

[Image: bluesbrothersnazipinto9.7743.jpg]

[Image: bluesbrothersnazipinto1.4641.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 12:25 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: For a long time many believed and/or assumed most of the worst crimes/murders in the holocaust were the work of the SS, special groups, hard core Nazi's etc. But as more documents and such have come to light in recent years it's quite obvious the regular German Army was way more involved than previously generally believed.

White people are capable of some f'ing crazy shit.
Reply/Quote
Would be an interesting read.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 03:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: White people are capable of some f'ing crazy shit.

Remember when those white Hutu in Rwanda started hacking up and slaughtering all the Tutsi? Ninja

I'll have to check that book out.  I've always been into Germany in general.  Their entire 20th Century is pretty interesting. 
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 03:07 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It can be a little tedious at times, and he paints himself in the best  light possible, but he was right there the whole time.

HE believed in his cause im guessing. and probly still does.

How much different the world would be today if he (hilter) listened to his advisers a little more.

some of the technological advances they made were crazy... Hard to even speculate how advanced some of it would be if they had manage to win the war.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2015, 03:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: White people are capable of some f'ing crazy shit.

People in general are capable of some crazy shit !
Reply/Quote