Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
"Inspainity"
Quinton Spain has been an engima to me ever since we signed him.

He was a late bloomer, but beginning at age 25 he started for the Titan for three straight years. Despite allowing just one sack in 15 starts his final year in Tennessee he only got a 1 yr $2 million contract with the Bills for 2019. He started all 16 games, only allowed one sack, and was given a 3 yr $15 million extension. Then, just six weeks into the 2020 season Buffalo cuts him.

I did not remember Spain by name, but I live in the Titans media area and I remember those O-lines from '16-'18 looking pretty good. So when I saw those crazy "sacks allowed" numbers I was thrilled to get him. But I also wondered why the Bills let him go so quickly. Cap space is useless in the middle of the year.

He started just 10 days after we signed him and ended up playing 3 different positions. His start at RT against the Steelers was the first time he played OT in the NFL. Everyone seemed to agree that he played well for us the second half of that season. But again it seemed like he was undersold in free agency when the Bengals signed him for only $1.1 million.

This year he was supposed to be fairly well rated by PFF, but we were awful weak up the middle all year. I thought he would get around $3 million, but looking back on some of the deals he had in the past he may have to pay some team to let him play.

Right now I think we need an OT a lot more than an OG, but is Spains value bottoms out again I'd be glad to take him back.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Quinton Spain has been an engima to me ever since we signed him.

He was a late bloomer, but beginning at age 25 he started for the Titan for three straight years.  Despite allowing just one sack in 15 starts his final year in Tennessee he only got a 1 yr $2 million contract with the Bills for 2019.  He started all 16 games, only allowed one sack, and was given a 3 yr $15 million extension.  Then, just six weeks into the 2020 season Buffalo cuts him.

I did not remember Spain by name, but I live in the Titans media area and I remember those O-lines from '16-'18 looking pretty good.  So when I saw those crazy "sacks allowed" numbers I was thrilled to get him.  But I also wondered why the Bills let him go so quickly.  Cap space is useless in the middle of the year.

He started just 10 days after we signed him and ended up playing 3 different positions.  His start at RT against the Steelers was the first time he played OT in the NFL.  Everyone seemed to agree that he played well for us the second half of that season.  But again it seemed like he was undersold in free agency when the Bengals signed him for only  $1.1 million.

This year he was supposed to be fairly well rated by PFF, but we were awful weak up the middle all year.  I thought he would get around $3 million, but looking back on some of the deals he had in the past he may have to pay some team to let him play.

Right now I think we need an OT a lot more than an OG, but is Spains value bottoms out again I'd be glad to take him back.

Yes.  I f we wind up with a line where Spain/Karras are the weak points, that's a win.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 10:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Quinton Spain has been an engima to me ever since we signed him.

He was a late bloomer, but beginning at age 25 he started for the Titan for three straight years.  Despite allowing just one sack in 15 starts his final year in Tennessee he only got a 1 yr $2 million contract with the Bills for 2019.  He started all 16 games, only allowed one sack, and was given a 3 yr $15 million extension.  Then, just six weeks into the 2020 season Buffalo cuts him.

I did not remember Spain by name, but I live in the Titans media area and I remember those O-lines from '16-'18 looking pretty good.  So when I saw those crazy "sacks allowed" numbers I was thrilled to get him.  But I also wondered why the Bills let him go so quickly.  Cap space is useless in the middle of the year.

He started just 10 days after we signed him and ended up playing 3 different positions.  His start at RT against the Steelers was the first time he played OT in the NFL.  Everyone seemed to agree that he played well for us the second half of that season.  But again it seemed like he was undersold in free agency when the Bengals signed him for only  $1.1 million.

This year he was supposed to be fairly well rated by PFF, but we were awful weak up the middle all year.  I thought he would get around $3 million, but looking back on some of the deals he had in the past he may have to pay some team to let him play.

For sure. It makes sense that he would likely have to compete to start no matter where he goes, so why not in a familiar spot vs the unproven youth.  
Reply/Quote
I definitely want him back. Pay him more than he got last year and I'm okay with a multiyear contract. Dude is solid, seems to love the team, and can apparently play most any position on the line in a pinch if needed. Best case scenario he beats out Carman and starts at LG and plays well next year. Worst case he's your first guy off the bench and I think he would be an excellent 6th guy in case of injuries.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Total WAG, but I'd venture a guess that he rubs some people the wrong way. 

If Spain is the 5th or 6th best OL on a team, that's probably a very good line.
Reply/Quote
Spain is way better than Carman, that is for sure. Better than Karras (at LG), that is iffy.

He probably wanted to test the market. Getting beat on the play that costs your team the SB (with Chase open deep) probably did not help his cause.
Reply/Quote
I sure hope they re-sign him. He's a very versatile lineman. Plays every position except Center. Guys like that are hard to find. May not be the best at any position, but having him available to move to all four spots gives the roster a breather.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 11:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I sure hope they re-sign him. He's a very versatile lineman. Plays every position except Center. Guys like that are hard to find. May not be the best at any position, but having him available to move to all four spots gives the roster a breather.

I do not recall Spain ever at OT or C. Is my memory failing me? .
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 11:20 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I do not recall Spain ever at OT or C. Is my memory failing me? .

He definitely moved around a lot during the 2020 season. I know for sure tackle. Don’t remember if he ever did center.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 11:20 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I do not recall Spain ever at OT or C. Is my memory failing me? .

He can't play Center. He can play Guard and Tackle on both sides, and played Right Tackle pretty well for us one game right after he got here. This article is from November, 2020. I believe it was the next game Spain played right tackle for us....

Quote:The dilemma is at right tackle. Most assume that Hakeem Adeniji will get the first crack at right tackle. Adeniji started on the left side against the Titans. 

"We have a couple of guys in that offensive line room that have played before and practiced there," Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said earlier this week. "Obviously Hakeem played left tackle for us last week and we have confidence in Hakeem if he needs to go."
Adeniji isn't the only candidate to play at right tackle. 
Scroll to Continue

Veteran Quinton Spain has gotten some work at that spot and the Bengals are "more than willing" to play him at tackle according to a source. 

Spain took 62 snaps at left guard in Week 8, just days after signing with the Bengals. The veteran is willing to play tackle if that's what the team needs. 
"I played tackle all through college," Spain said earlier this week. "For my last two years, I went to guard. In Tennessee, I was playing guard. And then the last preseason game, they threw me at tackle the whole game and I was practicing guard the whole camp. I’m used to playing any position but center."
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 11:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I sure hope they re-sign him. He's a very versatile lineman. Plays every position except Center. Guys like that are hard to find. May not be the best at any position, but having him available to move to all four spots gives the roster a breather.

This^^^

I made the statement earlier in the season that the line needed to be built around him, as he was our best lineman.

Build the other positions so he becomes the weak link in the lineup, and you have yourself a well above average line.

Then you can start to upgrade the depth until he is the bottom of the chart, but you keep him around to mentor the youth.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 11:25 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: This^^^

I made the statement earlier in the season that the line needed to be built around him, as he was our best lineman.

Build the other positions so he becomes the weak link in the lineup, and you have yourself a well above average line.

Then you can start to upgrade the depth until he is the bottom of the chart, but you keep him around to mentor the youth.

I agree. I am fine with a remake of Center——>Tackle, and keeping our left side this year and seeing what happened.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 11:28 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I agree. I am fine with a remake of Center——>Tackle, and keeping our left side this year and seeing what happened.

Especially with this being a critical year for Jonah.  Keep his wing man constant to see if he can grow into a book end.
Reply/Quote
Bring Spain back on the cheap to compete for LG snaps with Carman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 11:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Bring Spain back on the cheap to compete for LG snaps with Carman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd actually be willing to give him a little more than a new guy of similar talent just to make up for how little we paid him in the past.
Reply/Quote
I would would be willing to say that Spain is every bit as good as Karras at LG.Karras is decent,but isn’t really special,you might say.I’m OK with signing Spain.Spain,Karras,Cappa,in the middle of our OL is an upgrade over last years.It does appear that Spain hasn’t been compensated fairly based on his reliability and quality of play in recent years.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 11:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd actually be willing to give him a little more than a new guy of similar talent just to make up for how little we paid him in the past.

Yea I'd be fine with that. $3 mill/yr like they paid XSF. He was better than XSF.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote