C+
C
C-
D+
D
D-
F
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Instant Reaction Grade
(04-29-2019, 12:06 PM)yang Wrote: Well, you avoided everything I said which refuted your earlier contentions and threw out more nonsense.  I'm starting to think you are the one who isn't the fan or watches games.   Do you know we often run 3 and sometimes 4 WR sets?   Do you know that our WR's don't seem to be able to stay healthy and on the field?  Do you know that two of them are in the final year of their deals?  So yes, a 2nd round WR would have been on the field way more than a 3rd string TE.  And you can get a block TE on the waiver wire or free agency if you really needed it, or another in the 6th round.   

Look, it's all opinion and we won't know for 3 years, but this looks like a really poor draft to me for the reasons discussed.   Let's just hope we can get a couple average starters out of it and then tank the season and try again next year with a higher pick. 

Hard it today's NFL to define starters in the old traditional way. I think the goal of the staff is to have Sample have equal snaps to Eifert. If so, Sample is not a 3rd string TE, my guess is he starts many offensive series and Eifert watches. Time will tell, but our best blocking TE will play more than some think is my guess.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Plus Sample does have receiving skills. It’s just not what he is called on to do the most often and hence pundits rated him lower because of the role he played rather than skills. Remember ZT and Callahan have said the goal is to both run and pass out of the same formations so as not to give the play away.
Reply/Quote
And once again I will say this about Sample. He had better measurables in every category at the combine than Irv Smith except 40 time. He ran 4.71, Smith a 4.63. Smith is viewed as a receiving TE because the college system he played in used his receiving ability. Sample is viewed as a blocking TE because that's how he was used. The reality of it is Sample will be a complete TE who has the ability to help in both the run and pass games.
Reply/Quote
At the Senior Bowl game Drew Sample caught 4 passes for 39 yards including a 19 yard reception he had to twist backwards to adjust for the football... Those 4 passes in one game was almost 1/5th of his senior year at Washington.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I gave it a solid B. Jonah will be a stud on the offensive line. Sample may work out as our TE, but for some reason I feel that he will not be a starter. The QB they took will probably not be a Dalton replacement. Maybe next year.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:46 PM)Fullrock Wrote: And once again I will say this about Sample. He had better measurables in every category at the combine than Irv Smith except 40 time. He ran 4.71, Smith a 4.63. Smith is viewed as a receiving TE because the college system he played in used his receiving ability. Sample is viewed as a blocking TE because that's how he was used. The reality of it is Sample will be a complete TE who has the ability to help in both the run and pass games.

This fair, but I did not have Irv Smith high on the list for those reasons as well.   But this is why production is so important in who you draft.  His receiving production was almost nil.  Sure he can probably do it, but it's a learning curve like every other TE coming out.  He will take a few years to acclimate and in the meantime he will mostly play goal line/ max run packages and such.  No way is he replacing Uzomah initially.   
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:53 PM)Synric Wrote: At the Senior Bowl game Drew Sample caught 4 passes for 39 yards including a 19 yard reception he had to twist backwards to adjust for the football... Those 4 passes in one game was almost 1/5th of his senior year at Washington.

Outside zone waggle would seem to be bread and butter for this offense. Sample will be able to sell that block hard slip through and catch the crosser. Best way to sell the block is to have a guy out there who can actually block.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: Outside zone waggle would seem to be bread and butter for this offense. Sample will be able to sell that block hard slip through and catch the crosser. Best way to sell the block is to have a guy out there who can actually block.

Sample could be a better fit for Taylor's scheme than Tyler Eifert.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 03:05 PM)Synric Wrote: Sample could be a better fit for Taylor's scheme than Tyler Eifert.

I kind of feel that way about Uzomah to an extent. I wonder if we will see a lot of 12 personnel with play action and the backside TE always leaking into a route. If you got guys on both side who can block and catch you can get creative in terms of how they use the guys from balanced looks. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:58 PM)yang Wrote: This fair, but I did not have Irv Smith high on the list for those reasons as well.   But this is why production is so important in who you draft.  His receiving production was almost nil.  Sure he can probably do it, but it's a learning curve like every other TE coming out.  He will take a few years to acclimate and in the meantime he will mostly play goal line/ max run packages and such.  No way is he replacing Uzomah initially.   

A few years to acclimate? The guy has very good hands that shows in his catch/target % as well as the fact he has caught every target in the endzone. You act like this kid has never caught a football in his life. He is a good receiver that is a hell of a blocker. No more difficult than that.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 04:00 PM)OSUfan Wrote: A few years to acclimate? The guy has very good hands that shows in his catch/target % as well as the fact he has caught every target in the endzone. You act like this kid has never caught a football in his life. He is a good receiver that is a hell of a blocker. No more difficult than that.

Oh well, go ahead and start him.  I'm sure there is no difference between being an honorable mention Pac 10 TE and starting in the NFL.   He's probably different than every other TE ever drafted and is pro ready.   Again, no one is saying he can't develop into a decent TE.  For now he is Uzomah's backup on the depth chart.  If you want to believe he will start over him (or Eifert) knock yourself out.  

Another thing, people are saying it is obvious the draft is about developing better run blocking but thinking about it, the reason I was down on Price last year was that he was a pedestrian run blocker that lacked athleticism.  That pretty much panned out as Trey Hopkins out played him. 

But that almost mirrors what they say about Williams and Jordan this year as well.  I think Sample could be a decent blocker with time. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 04:10 PM)yang Wrote: Oh well, go ahead and start him.  I'm sure there is no difference between being an honorable mention Pac 10 TE and starting in the NFL.   He's probably different than every other TE ever drafted and is pro ready.   Again, no one is saying he can't develop into a decent TE.  For now he is Uzomah's backup on the depth chart.  If you want to believe he will start over him (or Eifert) knock yourself out.  

Another thing, people are saying it is obvious the draft is about developing better run blocking but thinking about it, the reason I was down on Price last year was that he was a pedestrian run blocker that lacked athleticism.  That pretty much panned out as Trey Hopkins out played him. 

But that almost mirrors what they say about Williams and Jordan this year as well.  I think Sample could be a decent blocker with time. 

Hilarious  this whole post! I didn't realize there is already a depth chart out? You do know that you can play with more than 1 TE on the field? Sample actually played out of the slot a lot, so just don't think he is this ogre on the end of the line..... Not sure where you came up with Hopkins out played Price at center?? Williams and Jordan are not athletic? 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 04:10 PM)yang Wrote: Oh well, go ahead and start him.  I'm sure there is no difference between being an honorable mention Pac 10 TE and starting in the NFL.   He's probably different than every other TE ever drafted and is pro ready.   Again, no one is saying he can't develop into a decent TE.  For now he is Uzomah's backup on the depth chart.  If you want to believe he will start over him (or Eifert) knock yourself out.  

I bet you Drew Sample will receive snaps week one with a chance he will have more snaps than Eifert... Just like week one in 2018 Eifert was listed as the "starter" but both Uzomah and Kroft played more snaps.

Reply/Quote
I just got done watching the Washington vs Auburn and Washington vs Utah offensive snaps for Sample and what becomes very quickly evident is that he was a victim of Browning having a hard time coming off of his first read and not having really great field vision. Against Auburn he easily could have had 8-10 receptions and against Utah easily could have had 5-8 and one could have been a huge gainer if not for the poor vision of Browning.

It also becomes apparent really quickly that they limited the route tree that he ran and virtually only used him as a decoy on shallow crosses to try and pick a WR open. It is a shame when you watch them and realize how poorly utilized he was.
Reply/Quote

Do you realize how silly you sound in these posts?

I agree that Hopkins looked good at Center and I believe him and Price should have an open competition as having Price at RG does not hurt this offense at all if we have a capable center. Not sure what that had to do with much of anything.

The issue is your silliness in regard to Sample. He does not have to develop into a decent TE as he is already decent. He does not have to develop into a decent blocker as he is already a really good blocker not only a really good blocker but the highest graded blocking TE in this draft. I would suggest watching some game film and attempting to understand the lack of production numbers. When you watch film of the Washington office things become really clear really quickly in regard to Sample and how he was not utilized to the best of his capabilities.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 05:00 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I just got done watching the Washington vs Auburn and Washington vs Utah offensive snaps for Sample and what becomes very quickly evident is that he was a victim of Browning having a hard time coming off of his first read and not having really great field vision. Against Auburn he easily could have had 8-10 receptions and against Utah easily could have had 5-8 and one could have been a huge gainer if not for the poor vision of Browning.

It also becomes apparent really quickly that they limited the route tree that he ran and virtually only used him as a decoy on shallow crosses to try and pick a WR open. It is a shame when you watch them and realize how poorly utilized he was.

Only shame for him. He may have been a 2nd top 10 ten pick if utilized correctly and not a Bengal.

They more I see and read bout the guy, the more I think we made a great trade back to get him and 2 other picks, 1 a 4th rounder.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 05:05 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Do you realize how silly you sound in these posts?

I agree that Hopkins looked good at Center and I believe him and Price should have an open competition as having Price at RG does not hurt this offense at all if we have a capable center. Not sure what that had to do with much of anything.

The issue is your silliness in regard to Sample. He does not have to develop into a decent TE as he is already decent. He does not have to develop into a decent blocker as he is already a really good blocker not only a really good blocker but the highest graded blocking TE in this draft. I would suggest watching some game film and attempting to understand the lack of production numbers. When you watch film of the Washington office things become really clear really quickly in regard to Sample and how he was not utilized to the best of his capabilities.
Yesterday morning ESPN re-aired this year's Rose Bowl. Can't count the number of times Sample was open underneath and Browning never looked at him. He also had some great blocks against Chase Young, stonewalled him a few times.
Reply/Quote
I think I might give this draft a very solid B+. I came away rather impressed with the approach and feels the team is in great hands given what Coach Taylor seems to value and emphasize.
Reply/Quote