Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interceptions by our Linebackers
Yesterday Wilson had his 2nd interception on the season. In addition, both Wilson and ADG dropped interceptions that hit them both in their hands. Wilson's drop was off of a deflection so it's hard to blame him for that, but ADG's was just a cleanly jumped route that he couldn't hold on to.

Despite them being drops, I still think their coverage ability was highlighted in these three instances and, honestly, it's a sight for sore eyes. The idea of linebackers who can actually cover is just....incredible and not something we've had in a long long time.

If you look back at our history, Linebackers have accounted for interceptions as below:
2019: 1
2018: 3 (one player with 2, another with 1)
2017: 2 (one player with 1, another with 1)
2016: 4 (one player with 2, two others with 1)
2015: 4 (2,1,1)
2014: 3 (2,1)
2013: 5 (2,1,1,1)
2012: 0
2011: 1
2010: 3 (2,1)
2009: 1
2008: 4 (2,1,1)
2007: 0
2006: 3 (2,1)
2005: 7 (5,2)
2004: 2 (2)

That 5 in 2005 was Odell Thurman.

We are currently sitting at 3 interceptions from our Linebackers (with two dropped this week). That's already more than or equal to all buy 5 of the last 16 years and we still have 11 games to go in the season.

We need to improve against the run, but our linebackers, especially the young ones, are really making good strides in pass defense and I am honestly thrilled by this development.

How about you?
Reply/Quote
As the rookie linebackers improve, so will the defense.
Reply/Quote
Wilson and ADG have been good and hopefully will continue to get better. Their coverage ability is a big reason we have drastically improved in pass defense.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, it's a breath of fresh air for sure. Like Gdale says, as they gain experience, the d will continue to improve. How about limiting Lamar to 3 yds rushing? He torched us for around 350 in the two games last year.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Naw man, it's the hopeless 90's all over again... don't you guys keep up.... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 11:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, it's a breath of fresh air for sure. Like Gdale says, as they gain experience, the d will continue to improve. How about limiting Lamar to 3 yds rushing? He torched us for around 350 in the two games last year.

I think that had a lot to do with the scheme because it seems Phillips was spying Jackson on a lot of plays. 

We shit on the coaches a lot around here, and for good reason, but I honestly think Anarumo has a shot at being a good coordinator. I am not certain yet, but he seems to have a good grasp of scheme and strategy. As his defense matures, they could be a pretty formidable group.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 11:22 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think that had a lot to do with the scheme because it seems Phillips was spying Jackson on a lot of plays. 

We shit on the coaches a lot around here, and for good reason, but I honestly think Anarumo has a shot at being a good coordinator. I am not certain yet, but he seems to have a good grasp of scheme and strategy. As his defense matures, they could be a pretty formidable group.

Kinda my thoughts as well on Lou....and as was mentioned a time or two on big runs, the call was correct, execution was bad. Reader is going to hurt us moving forward against the run.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Kinda crazy, because Tobin really isn't a favorite of mine either... but it really does seem like this draft class has turned out well so far, as early as it is. That's just on the eye test though, not sure what PFF and others say.
Reply/Quote
Lou had a good game plan against the Ravens. My hats off to him for that. He's done ok this year considering the injuries and opt outs. The rookie LBs have a long way to go, but they are showing flashes of why we drafted them, especially in coverage. You cant fix a historically bad D in one season, but we are showing improvement and that is a good thing. Next season ADG, Wilson and Bailey will probably start coming into their own.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 11:41 AM)bengaloo Wrote: Lou had a good game plan against the Ravens. My hats off to him for that. He's done ok this year considering the injuries and opt outs. The rookie LBs have a long way to go, but they are showing flashes of why we drafted them, especially in coverage. You cant fix a historically bad D in one season, but we are showing improvement and that is a good thing. Next season ADG, Wilson and Bailey will probably start coming into their own.

Look at the D overall. Our backfield is playing well, even without Waynes and now Alexander. And while we haven't had Geno or Topou, and now we have lost Reader (and who knows when Daniels will be back), Covington and Bledsoe are playing above their pedigrees. If they keep improving Josh may not have a spot to come back to next year. And our new linebackers, and also Evans, are playing with their hair on fire and will keep getting better. There is plenty of reason for optimism.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 11:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Look at the D overall. Our backfield is playing well, even without Waynes and now Alexander. And while we haven't had Geno or Topou, and now we have lost Reader (and who knows when Daniels will be back), Covington and Bledsoe are playing above their pedigrees. If they keep improving Josh may not have a spot to come back to next year. And our new linebackers, and also Evans, are playing with their hair on fire and will keep getting better. There is plenty of reason for optimism.

I agree with this. If we keep playing like this on D, we will win a few games after this tough stretch. Covington and Bledsoe both played well yesterday. The secondary is playing very well right now. We get Daniels back, Alexander, Waynes, it could really help. I liked the fire they played with yesterday. They were flying around playing aggressive ball. I feel like the D is on the rise. Lou is not on my shit list now lol.
Reply/Quote
They had the balls straight to them and dropped them. Reason they play LB and not TE.

Still better hands than Ross ( beating the dead horse with vigor).
Reply/Quote
Those interceptions are a sight for sore eyes after the last few years. LB core should grow into a strength as they gain experience.
Reply/Quote
I've always wanted the Bengals' LBs to get better in pass coverage, but not necessarily at the expense of run defense.

None of the Bengals' LBs have a PFF run defense rating above 50 except for Josh Bynes, who is only at 52.3.
I guess that's what happens when you have a bunch of mid-round picks and a career rotational guy at LB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 11:30 AM)thillan Wrote: Kinda crazy, because Tobin really isn't a favorite of mine either... but it really does seem like this draft class has turned out well so far, as early as it is. That's just on the eye test though, not sure what PFF and others say.

PFF isn't high on the backers FWIW. Wilson is a 48.9, ADG is a 39, Bailey is 29.3. Higgins and Burrow are doing well, though, which is big time. I also am not down on Wilson, or ADG. They were mid-round picks and are obviously struggling, but throwing in flashes of good play. I am okay with that. I don't expect Bailey to ever do anything, so anything positive from him is a bonus.
Reply/Quote
We saw much more of adg and Logan wilson this past week and a lot less of pratt. Our defense is actually starting to look competent with the rookies. If they phase pratt out of the lineup even more I'll have more faith in this defense and the staff.
Reply/Quote