Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Interesting Burrow article
The subtle genius of Joe Burrow

https://wapo.st/3LbCg9q

Quote:If one superpower has driven the Bengals’ ascent, it is Burrow’s ability to scan a football field and see more than any of his peers. Burrow is the son of a college football coach, and his vision derives from an inherently gifted mind, an advanced football background and years of refinement. It makes him one of the best at the most demanding position in professional sports.

“He has a natural, athletic-spatial mind,” Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said. “Things just make sense to him. Space makes sense. Where people are in space, he doesn’t have to work very hard at that. He just sees and feels. He sort of has a sixth sense of what’s around him.”

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 09:46 AM)pally Wrote: The subtle genius of Joe Burrow

Great read.

Reply/Quote
That’s w/o question the best article on Burrow yet.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I stopped reading at this line:

"In the three years since Burrow arrived in Cincinnati, the Bengals have transformed from NFL punchline to annual contender"

The Bengals haven't been a punchline since the 90s. Such a tired narrative that the Bengals have had zero success since Burrow arrived.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 11:48 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I stopped reading at this line:

"In the three years since Burrow arrived in Cincinnati, the Bengals have transformed from NFL punchline to annual contender"

The Bengals haven't been a punchline since the 90s. Such a tired narrative that the Bengals have had zero success since Burrow arrived.

eeeeeeehhhhhh, it depends on what you define as a punch line.

National media literally invented the "Dalton Line" to describe the kind of QB that you SHOULD replace, but your team may not have the football acumen to replace (afraid of failure, settle for mediocrity).

I consider the Dalton years largely wasted potential because of our refusal to look for a true franchise QB. That could definitely be interpreted as a punch line.
Reply/Quote

Eh. Semantics. Maybe they weren’t total laughingstocks pre-Burrow, but they also weren’t taken seriously either. They are now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Great article
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 12:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh. Semantics. Maybe they weren’t total laughingstocks pre-Burrow, but they also weren’t taken seriously either. They are now.

5 years of playoffs in a row... I'd say they were taken seriously by other teams. Maybe not by the press, but the press still doesn't take the Bengals seriously. They are still touting the Steelers and Browns.
Reply/Quote
Thread derailed by something that's been argued over, and over, and over, and over, and over so back on track:

Great article on Joe and it sums up his field presence well. He just has "it". Can he jump the highest, run the fastest, throw the farthest? NO But with that football 6th sense he doesn't have to.
Reply/Quote

Did'nt win a playoff game in 30 years, that's all that has to be said.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 11:48 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The Bengals haven't been a punchline since the 90s. Such a tired narrative that the Bengals have had zero success since Burrow arrived.

This sounds like something a felon would say.  Ninja

Reply/Quote

That's how you can tell the difference between someone with beat reporter knowledge of local teams only and national knowledge.  

They're too preoccupied with covering whatever team they're assigned that they just parrot talking points they think are relevant.  

Dude's bio says he's from NY/Boston....says all I need to know....Well that and it's WaPo....
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 01:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: 5 years of playoffs in a row... I'd say they were taken seriously by other teams. Maybe not by the press, but the press still doesn't take the Bengals seriously. They are still touting the Steelers and Browns.

The press absolutely takes the Bengals seriously now. Bengals were the hottest team in the NFL for the better part of the last 2 seasons. 
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 01:58 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: The press absolutely takes the Bengals seriously now. Bengals were the hottest team in the NFL for the better part of the last 2 seasons. 

Exactly.

Most of the press didn't take the Bengals serious back in the 2010's because despite making the playoffs 5 years in a row, 0 playoff wins.
If you're not advancing in the playoffs, you're not really a contender (in the media's eyes at least).

The Bengals have now won five games in the playoffs the past two years.
Many even in the media consistently put the Bengals in the Top 3-4 in the AFC now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 01:58 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: The press absolutely takes the Bengals seriously now. Bengals were the hottest team in the NFL for the better part of the last 2 seasons. 

Last year all the press talked about was the one hit wonders the team was the season of the Super Bowl. Especially as they got off to the slow start. The Bengals were going to have a Super Bowl hangover. They were not going to be able to match the intensity of the year before yada yada yada.... The Browns had all this talent and they were going to make their run (again) and don't sleep on the Stealers. It's been the same story over and over
Reply/Quote

The 2023 Playoff win against the Bills seemed to get the Bengals that extra bit of credibility.

It led to a 2nd straight AFC Championship game appearance to backup the Super Bowl appearance year.

Josh Allen and the Bills were credited for that amazing 42 to 36 Playoff loss to the Chiefs in overtime in 2022 and the Bengals stole that thunder with their 2023 Playoff win versus the Bills.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 09:46 AM)pally Wrote: The subtle genius of Joe Burrow

Physical gifts for a QB aren't as important as having a elite football mind.  Time and space anticipation downfield and knowing where the pocket is leaking before things breakdown are things that can't be coached.  All of this happens in about 3 seconds with mayhem all around.  Then the physical gifts come into play.  If the QB can't read, anticipate, avoid then the physical gifts don't get fully exploited.  We've all known this since Ryan Leaf, Andre Ware, Akili Smith days.
Reply/Quote
I almost didn't read this because I figured that it would be another fluff piece or just more praise for Burrow without much substance, but I was smiling and loving the entire read! It was a lot longer than I figured and I'd normally stop reading articles that long and just skim over the important parts, but I couldn't stop reading!

I knew his dad was a coach, but I didn't know he was a defensive back's coach and that helping Burrow's diagnosis of coverages and overall defensive schemes if UNREAL!

If we invest in his protection, he'll outscore any team and win us a bunch of titles!

WHO-DEY!

I disagree completely.

Yes, we won some with Palmer starting in '04 (and even decent with Kitna in '03), but we were never really a serious threat (especially after Palmer's injury) and we always had players with legal troubles.

We weren't as much of a joke when AJ and Dalton got here because we were winning and making the playoffs, but we couldn't win a game in the playoffs and were just never really considered a serious contender. 

Now, we're becoming one of the strongest organizations in football, thanks to Burrow.
Reply/Quote