Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting CB stat
Could Dre actually be our BEST corner? I’m not so sure but this could turn into a nice heated debate for some of the “3rd and Dre” crowd.

Reply/Quote
I said i think he has been this season in another thread and no one agreed...

WJ3 has been looking more like himself the past couple games though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Other than dropped picks, I've thought Dre has played well this season. I will say, it certainly DOES feel like the completions are always against him.
Reply/Quote
Its Kirkpatrick's penalties that detract from his overall performance. For every great defense he gives one away.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 06:14 PM)pally Wrote: Its Kirkpatrick's penalties that detract from his overall performance.  For every great defense he gives one away.

The most penalized CBs in the league are usually among the best in the league.  I assume it is because ethey are close enough to receivers to get called for grabbing or holding.

...2017 Dre had 7 penalties. There were 23 other CBs who had at least 7 penalties (including William jackson and Josh Shaw). The league leader among CBs was All-Pro Marcus Peters with 9. Fellow All Pros Xavier Rhodes and Patrick Peterson also had 7 penalties just like Dre.

...2016 Dre had 9 penalties. Only 7 CBs had as many as 9 penalties that year, but All Pro Patrick Peterson and A.J. Bouye (who got a $5 yr $68 million contract based on his '17 performance) had more penalties that Dre. Xavier Rhodes, Richard Sherman, and Pro Bowler Vontea Davis all had just one fewer penalty than Dre.

...2015 Dre led all CBs with 13 penalties, but All Pro Aqib Talib was second, Xavier Rhodes was 3rd, Richard Sherman and Marcus Peters tied for 5th, Vontae Davis was 6th and Patrick Peterson 10th.
Reply/Quote
That stat surprised me, I wonder how dropped passes figure in to that? Some of us (me) are too hard on him because he acts like he makes a play even in the QB throws the ball ten yards over the receivers head. Bad passes and dropped balls probably can figure in early but then probably balance out by the end of the season. Either way, it’s nice to see the low percentage.
Reply/Quote
The completion percentages allowed are always going to be higher for slot corners like Dennard.
Reply/Quote
Problem with this stat posting is lack of context. It doesn't show for how many yards, how many TDs, or how many 1st downs.

That's like me saying "Eli Manning is 7th in Completion % among all QBs. Could he actually be elite?" ... while ignoring the fact that so far this season he's only thrown 6 TDs in 6 games, to go with 4 INT and 2 Fumbles Lost. (1:1 TD/Turnover Ratio)

Gotta get the whole picture.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 06:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The completion percentages allowed are always going to be higher for slot corners like Dennard.

Yep
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2018, 06:14 PM)pally Wrote: Its Kirkpatrick's penalties that detract from his overall performance. For every great defense he gives one away.

What this guy said.
Reply/Quote
Feel Dre and Dennard have both had good years.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I feel like our whole defense has sucked overall. I know Geno has had his moments of domination and same with Jessie and Carlos but overall not impressed
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
Dre is low on the YPA rankings though. He gives up big plays.

Plus, when he does give up a completion it always seems like it's on 3rd down.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 12:44 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Feel Dre and Dennard have both had good years.

The Bengals have the 27th ranked pass defense.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 10:49 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Bengals have the 27th ranked pass defense.

Part of that is no pressure from the Dline for long stretch's of games. But part of it as well has been the confusion in the secondary, you can see it on many plays.
Reply/Quote
The official NFL script is for our players to faulter at the most inopportune moments . We're not members of the "preferred teams program"..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 10:49 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Bengals have the 27th ranked pass defense.

(10-18-2018, 06:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Problem with this stat posting is lack of context.

Gotta get the whole picture.

Bengals are ranked 27th in yards allowed but 31st in pass attempts.  When you put it in the context the Bengals are in the top 10 in yards per attempt allowed.

They rank 19th in overall pass efficiency defense, but it seems a lot of the damage has been done underneath.  Bengals are 10th in fewest pass plays of 40+ yards.
Reply/Quote

Yes, but how much of that is to TE's and RB's?  I would almost guess that TE's and backs have more catches against us than WR's.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 12:00 PM)McC Wrote: Yes, but how much of that is to TE's and RB's?  I would almost guess that TE's and backs have more catches against us than WR's.

I would bet we'd rank high in YAC as well
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2018, 11:14 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Part of that is no pressure from the Dline for long stretch's of games. But part of it as well has been the confusion in the secondary, you can see it on many plays.

I guess this is my frustration, D-line not getting home. For whatever reason they seem to just disappear during games. QBs getting the ball out quicker to guys running shorter routes makes it damn near impossible to hit a QB.
Reply/Quote