Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting MJ Stats
(12-20-2018, 10:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. I'd argue that keeping Zeitler would have been smart too. You know he could perform here. Then you draft Price and he's playing between 2 good Guards.

Then, this year all you have to do is draft a Tackle and your line is solid.

I would definitely take Z over Vrey, MJ,  and insert Minter or Brown contracts. I think those three would = the contract of Z. ...
With that being said would we be missing Z this much if we would actually play Westerman at RG? I don't think so.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
It's a mystery to me why they don't atleast try Westerman...but this is the 2nd line coach to not play him.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 10:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, that's a tough one to ponder.  We had Bodine between two good Guards, didn't seem to help him from getting bullrushed.  But then again, he was showing great work in Buffalo, before he got injured.  So, I guess coaching comes into play.  As it is now, Price is starting to settle in, after the injury, and he's got a coach that helped select him in the draft.  Price was looking alright before the injury, but struggled upon his return.  That is understandable for a rookie, as his development was stunted.  But, he seems to have gotten back into the learning curve lately, and should be just fine.

However, it's tough to justify paying Zeitler what Cleveland did, and have any hopes of resigning the guys on the DL that they recently did.

Except now higher end guards are getting more than Zeitler. And there was already an acute shortage of good OL so they should have kept him. Imagine our OL if they had kept Whit and Zeitler and the two OL picks from 2015 panned out? Could have been the best OL in the league
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 07:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The good news is that the Bengals will get their chance to do just that, as his contract expires at the end of the season.  

Several of us were hoping that he wouldn't make the team this season, some others tried to make us out as horrible fans and people for thinking that way, and then another few folks reminded us how Mike Brown likes to honor contracts and how MJ was a strong locker room presence and respected team leader.

Kind of funny how the Bengals let a career Bengal Great like Whitworth go to the highest bidder, but they chose to honor the full contract of the guy who took the money and ran, the first opportunity he got.  

Right on !

I was one that didn't want him back and took some heat for it. And MJ is very near useless at DE this season just like several of us were saying.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, letting Zeitler walk was probably smart, but not Andrew Whitworth.  Good performing Guards can be found for significantly less than what Zeitler netted, but Duracell OTs like Whitworth are a commodity that is hard to replace.  What did that "savings" by not signing Whitworth gain, aside from a couple games from Eifert this year and about 6-10 losses that could have been wins..

I remember that off season. I was counting on signing Zeitler, Whitworth and Dre K. and I was hoping we could add someone else through FA. Finding out we signed Dre K and let the other 2 walk and then not signing anyone else was horrifying.
Reply/Quote
At this point in his career, MJ would do best as a rotational 4 technique end on a 3-4 defense. He's not "useless" out there, but I don't think that his speed off the edge scares anyone anymore. He had a good career here. Solid player who had a couple really good years. Great human being. 
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 07:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Great stuff!

There are also several people on this board who overrate underperforming Bengals players and minimize losses in free agency.

ie Letting Zeitler and Whitworth walk is smart! (Like the Bengals invested that money wisely in other areas.)

ie Guys like MJ do things that don't show up on the stat sheet, like set the edge. (We're a historically bad run defense! We don't set the edge!)

I blame part of the Whitworth / Zeitler leaving on Paul Alexander.  This guy was a cancer to the future success of this organization.  Either Marv or Mike Brown relied on this guy's opinion too much.  The Piano Man convinced the organization to draft Fisher and Ced as a replacement for these two vets.  Also, who's idea was it not to draft DeCastro who is now with the Steelers?  That was a bone head move and once again the Piano Man had some input in this decision.  Paul Alexander's input on the o-line has set the organization back years not to mention what he did to it over the past two decades.  It is good he is gone, but I shake my head as why Mike let this incompetent boob be on this staff for so long.  I would be surprised if he returns to the NFL.  He is just a bad coach.
Reply/Quote
His biggest asset in his prime was knocking down passes, he did a lot of that at his peak.

Haven't seen that from him in years!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2018, 09:34 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: I blame part of the Whitworth / Zeitler leaving on Paul Alexander.  This guy was a cancer to the future success of this organization.  Either Marv or Mike Brown relied on this guy's opinion too much.  The Piano Man convinced the organization to draft Fisher and Ced as a replacement for these two vets.  Also, who's idea was it not to draft DeCastro who is now with the Steelers?  That was a bone head move and once again the Piano Man had some input in this decision.  Paul Alexander's input on the o-line has set the organization back years not to mention what he did to it over the past two decades.  It is good he is gone, but I shake my head as why Mike let this incompetent boob be on this staff for so long.  I would be surprised if he returns to the NFL.  He is just a bad coach.
No way he could survive acting and spouting off like he does on another team.

I'd surmise that is why he exited so quickly from Dallas.

He might have known someone to get the job or touted some pass protection stats to pad his resume.

Being so consistently terrible at upcoaching and developing run blocking schemes should have been a red flag.

I don't know if it was the coaches or the players he lost first on the Cowboys... but man they picked up on his dumbassery quite quickly.

So kudos to them for not having loyalty to a talent sucking and talent judging vermin that he is.

The man said Ced O. could excel at any position on the line from day one.

Even positions he hadn't played before.

What a frickin' idiot!!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2018, 12:49 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: No way he could survive acting and spouting off like he does on another team.

I'd surmise that is why he exited so quickly from Dallas.

He might have known someone to get the job or touted some pass protection stats to pad his resume.

Being so consistently terrible at upcoaching and developing run blocking schemes should have been a red flag.

I don't know if it was the coaches or the players he lost first on the Cowboys... but man they picked up on his dumbassery quite quickly.

So kudos to them for not having loyalty to a talent sucking and talent judging vermin that he is.

The man said Ced O. could excel at any position on the line from day one.

Even positions he hadn't played before.

What a frickin' idiot!!

Oh c'mon now.. Paul Alexander is an easy name to remember, kind of like John Smith.. That should count for something, right? I mean, it's not AS IF anyone has to pull up wikipedia every time they want to remember how to spell Paul Alexander... Just remember, it's not what a coach knows or how well he can do his job, it's how easy his name is to spell. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote