Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Marvin Lewis Interview: He's interested in front office jobs
You can read it yourself...but here are my takeaways:

-He's interested in front office jobs.
-He has no interest in a front-office job with the Bengals: “No, Duke [Tobin, the director of player personnel] already has that. It’s already Duke. He just doesn’t have the [general manager] title, but that’s what he does. It wouldn’t fit. When the time comes and Mike steps aside and they put him fully in charge, he’s going to need his own space.
-He doesn't think he'll lose his job. Brown essentially re-assured him after last years playoff loss that he was safe.
-On injuries: “Mike Brown doesn’t want them to play next week; he wants them to play next year. These guys are very lucky here. Sometimes they don’t realize that. He’s concerned with their health beyond their career.”
-He feels that working for other family-owned organizations...the Ravens and Steelers helped him get the job here. It's definately ran different for family-owned organizations.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/25283/marvin-lewis-on-life-after-coaching-keeping-a-team-together-through-adversity-and-more
Reply/Quote
1. So this should put the "Marv as GM" talk to bed.
2. It looks like we won't see Green til next year. No surprise though, honestly.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 01:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. So this should put the "Marv as GM" talk to bed.
2. It looks like we won't see Green til next year. No surprise though, honestly.

There has been speculation that Katie or some other family member or Marvin were acting as the Bengals GM.

It's Tobin. Now we know.
Reply/Quote
There isn't much there to say he's not interested in the Bengals front office positions ,but there is the acknowledgement that Duke Tobin pretty much has his job locked up for the foreseeable future .  Tobin would pretty much have to just quit or die for Marvin to take his place and i just don't see that scenario playing out . There is a difference between wanting things to happen and things actually happening . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 01:57 PM)grampahol Wrote: There isn't much there to say he's not interested in the Bengals front office positions ,but there is the acknowledgement that Duke Tobin pretty much has his job locked up for the foreseeable future .  Tobin would pretty much have to just quit or die for Marvin to take his place and i just don't see that scenario playing out . There is a difference between wanting things to happen and things actually happening . 

Well...I mean it basically says he'd take a FO job on even the Browns! That shows desperation.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 01:57 PM)grampahol Wrote: There isn't much there to say he's not interested in the Bengals front office positions ,but there is the acknowledgement that Duke Tobin pretty much has his job locked up for the foreseeable future .  Tobin would pretty much have to just quit or die for Marvin to take his place and i just don't see that scenario playing out . There is a difference between wanting things to happen and things actually happening . 

Duke Tobin is no longer NFL's best-kept secret, and will receive tempting offers from other organizations. That's not to say he would bolt any time soon, but I don't think it's a given that he remains here either. WTS, Marvin's special relationship with the Browns puts a lot of pressure on his next move. IF Mike Brown was to step aside with Marvin and Duke still with the team, it could be interesting to see how it all plays out, assuming Katie rises to the helm. After all, she championed Marvin from day one.

I'm not suggesting anything specific as much as I'm thinking that the unknown possibly becomes a dynamic few anticipated.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 01:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You can read it yourself...but here are my takeaways:

-He's interested in front office jobs.
-He has no interest in a front-office job with the Bengals: “No, Duke [Tobin, the director of player personnel] already has that. It’s already Duke. He just doesn’t have the [general manager] title, but that’s what he does. It wouldn’t fit. When the time comes and Mike steps aside and they put him fully in charge, he’s going to need his own space.
-He doesn't think he'll lose his job. Brown essentially re-assured him after last years playoff loss that he was safe.
-On injuries:  “Mike Brown doesn’t want them to play next week; he wants them to play next year. These guys are very lucky here. Sometimes they don’t realize that. He’s concerned with their health beyond their career.”
-He feels that working for other family-owned organizations...the Ravens and Steelers helped him get the job here. It's definately ran different for family-owned organizations.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/25283/marvin-lewis-on-life-after-coaching-keeping-a-team-together-through-adversity-and-more

On whether he receives reassurance from Brown on his job status in a 4-7-1 season: “He doesn’t need to. We reassured it last January the day after we lost in the playoffs.”

For some reason, this reallllly rubs me the wrong way. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 02:12 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Duke Tobin is no longer NFL's best-kept secret, and will receive tempting offers from other organizations. That's not to say he would bolt any time soon, but I don't think it's a given that he remains here either. WTS, Marvin's special relationship with the Browns puts a lot of pressure on his next move. IF Mike Brown was to step aside with Marvin and Duke still with the team, it could be interesting to see how it all plays out, assuming Katie rises to the helm. After all, she championed Marvin from day one.

I'm not suggesting anything specific as much as I'm thinking that the unknown possibly becomes a dynamic few anticipated.

Unless Tobin really craves the GM title, I don't see him going anywhere. Why leave a place where your job is completely safe?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 02:26 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: On whether he receives reassurance from Brown on his job status in a 4-7-1 season: “He doesn’t need to. We reassured it last January the day after we lost in the playoffs.”

Mike is a moron, that doesn't need any more evidence  Whatever

However, that was last January. Long before this abortion of a season. Maybe things have changed? 

...... Shut up. Let a man dream 
Reply/Quote
I wish Mike new that Duke needs his space now.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 02:26 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: On whether he receives reassurance from Brown on his job status in a 4-7-1 season: “He doesn’t need to. We reassured it last January the day after we lost in the playoffs.”

It should rub everyone the wrong way.  Whatever
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 02:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Unless Tobin really craves the GM title, I don't see him going anywhere. Why leave a place where your job is completely safe?

But what if his job isn't completely safe? Absurd to think, I know. But we are starting to see the list of disappointing players grow, and with that accountability will apply. Sooner than later you'd think. But this is all conjecture. 

I'm just wondering what really will happen when Mike Brown steps down. Most of us have made the assumption that Katie takes over, Duke becomes the official GM and so on. If life has taught me anything, it's things rarely go as assumed  Cool

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 02:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Unless Tobin really craves the GM title, I don't see him going anywhere. Why leave a place where your job is completely safe?

Ownership who is willing to go all in, year in and year out, to win championships.
Reply/Quote
Gotta agree with not playing injured guys until next year. No point in running them out there and risking further injury.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 03:40 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: But what if his job isn't completely safe? Absurd to think, I know. But we are starting to see the list of disappointing players grow, and with that accountability will apply. Sooner than later you'd think. But this is all conjecture. 

I'm just wondering what really will happen when Mike Brown steps down. Most of us have made the assumption that Katie takes over, Duke becomes the official GM and so on. If life has taught me anything, it's things rarely go as assumed  Cool

I will say that the players are still playing hard for Marvin after it was pretty clear that they would need a miracle to make the playoffs. Even in these most recent losses...so Marvin has some respect from the team.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 01:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. So this should put the "Marv as GM" talk to bed.
It's more than likely we will see green this year supposed to practice this week. I would say 80-20 he plays.
(12-12-2016, 02:12 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Duke Tobin is no longer NFL's best-kept secret, and will receive tempting offers from other organizations. That's not to say he would bolt any time soon, but I don't think it's a given that he remains here either. WTS, Marvin's special relationship with the Browns puts a lot of pressure on his next move. IF Mike Brown was to step aside with Marvin and Duke still with the team, it could be interesting to see how it all plays out, assuming Katie rises to the helm. After all, she championed Marvin from day one.

He has been on record saying he will never leave he was offered GM position with lions and a few others last year he turned them down. He said his family has a life here and will not leave. Wants to do what his father did and be with same team for 30+ years.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 03:40 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: But what if his job isn't completely safe? Absurd to think, I know. But we are starting to see the list of disappointing players grow, and with that accountability will apply. Sooner than later you'd think. But this is all conjecture. 

Hmm, what did everyone think would happen when Paul Brown died?  
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 09:57 PM)Jpoore Wrote: He has been on record saying he will never leave he was offered GM position with lions and a few others last year he turned them down. He said his family has a life here and will not leave. Wants to do what his father did and be with same team for 30+ years.

As long as he does a good job here, I hope that he owns up to his word. Things change however, and people change their minds for a wide variety of reasons. Very little surprises me anymore.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 03:44 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Ownership who is willing to go all in, year in and year out, to win championships.

Fair enough, but that's only if he values greater chance at a championship over job security. I agree with Wildcats that the list of disappointing players is starting to grow, but Mike is an extremely patient and tolerant man. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2016, 11:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Fair enough, but that's only if he values greater chance at a championship over job security. I agree with Wildcats that the list of disappointing players is starting to grow, but Mike is an extremely patient and tolerant man. 

This brings up an interesting question.  When you're making NFL GM money, anywhere from $3-5 million a year with a 4-5 year contract, how important is job security?  One contract and you are set for life.  Given these circumstances, I would think that winning championships is extremely important.  I would also think that just your competitive spirit would take over and you would want to win.  If I'm an owner and I've got a guy who is concerned with job security, that tells me he does not have faith in his abilities and is not the guy I want running my team.
Reply/Quote