Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting: Teammates had issues with Willis last season....
Seems as tho he's ready to take the leap.

Paul Dehner Jr.‏Verified account @pauldehnerjr 9m9 minutes ago

More
Jordan Willis wasn't exactly welcomed into the #Bengals fold last year. He admits his personality can rub people the wrong way. A year later, life on and off the field is coming together and he looks on the cusp of a big leap forward

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/06/07/jordan-willis-finds-comfort-opportunity-second-season/682738002/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I think he ends up taking over starting opposite of Dunlap. Early on Lawson spells him on pass rushing downs, but hopefully he get's his pass rushing up enough that Lawson can rush from different places, maybe even a NASCAR look with both in. I really like that he has bulked up without losing speed.
Reply/Quote
Adding 15# of muscle, without losing any speed, is no small feat to accomplish. Glad to learn that he's fitting in better with the team, and looking ready to take a big step forward.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I am still a bit concerned.  If he was really "over it" like he claims then he would not be complaining about it to a journalist for a feature story.

But I don't think personalities really matter that much if a guy can play and be productive on the field.  He doesn't have to be best friends with all of these guys as long as he is not a a-hole that pisses them off.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 10:58 AM)Au165 Wrote: I think he ends up taking over starting opposite of Dunlap. Early on Lawson spells him on pass rushing downs, but hopefully he get's his pass rushing up enough that Lawson can rush from different places, maybe even a NASCAR look with both in. I really like that he has bulked up without losing speed.

We had our best D-lines when we had a deep rotation of players coming off the bench.  There were a couple of games last year when Dunlap played over 90% of the snaps.  He might be more effective if he was able to take off a few more snaps.

I don't know if Willis will start, but I believe he will get a lot more playing time.  And when you have a deep rotation it doesn't really matter who is starting.  Robert Geathers started in front of Dunlap the first three years of his career but 'Los still had 20 sacks.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 10:58 AM)Au165 Wrote: I think he ends up taking over starting opposite of Dunlap. Early on Lawson spells him on pass rushing downs, but hopefully he get's his pass rushing up enough that Lawson can rush from different places, maybe even a NASCAR look with both in. I really like that he has bulked up without losing speed.

And so has Lawson.  Hmmmmmm
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 10:54 AM)jj22 Wrote: Seems as tho he's ready to take the leap.

Paul Dehner Jr.‏Verified account @pauldehnerjr 9m9 minutes ago

More
Jordan Willis wasn't exactly welcomed into the #Bengals fold last year. He admits his personality can rub people the wrong way. A year later, life on and off the field is coming together and he looks on the cusp of a big leap forward

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2018/06/07/jordan-willis-finds-comfort-opportunity-second-season/682738002/

Great news, i have high hopes for this guy. He is quiet and likes to just go to work which i can understand him
saying can rub people the wrong way. He definately is no flambouyant individual that is for sure.

Adding 15 pounds of muscle and not losing any speed is impressive. What i liked so much about Jordan Willis
at Kansas State was his ability to both rush the passer and stop the run.

This is what you need in a starting End. What is nice is Hubbard can do both as well. Lawson still needs to work
on stopping the run but has those elite pass rushing skills as we all saw. I like our young guys on D.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 02:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great news, i have high hopes for this guy. He is quiet and likes to just go to work which i can understand him
saying can rub people the wrong way. He definately is no flambouyant individual that is for sure.

Adding 15 pounds of muscle and not losing any speed is impressive. What i liked so much about Jordan Willis

This is what you need in a starting End. What is nice is Hubbard can do both as well. Lawson still needs to work
on stopping the run but has those elite pass rushing skills as we all saw. I like our young guys on D.

I am looking forward to all the young guys on the D-line rotation.  Hopefully they push MJ to step it up, but I am losing confidence in his ability to compete with the young studs we have.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 11:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I am still a bit concerned.  If he was really "over it" like he claims then he would not be complaining about it to a journalist for a feature story.

But I don't think personalities really matter that much if a guy can play and be productive on the field.  He doesn't have to be best friends with all of these guys as long as he is not a a-hole that pisses them off.

I gotta ask Fred, is that an actual picture of you?
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 02:39 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I am looking forward to all the young guys on the D-line rotation.  Hopefully they push MJ to step it up, but I am losing confidence in his ability to compete with the young studs we have.

Same here, MJ really only looked good lining up at DT on passing downs last year from what i saw.

I know Fred will bring out the stats that say Willis wasn't very good either but Willis was a rookie and as we see here
had a little trouble fitting in with the guys. Another year with the guys should do wonders for him, he isn't an easy guy
to get to know it seems.

Between Willis, Hubbard, Lawson and even Andrew Brown, MJ might be pushed. We will see.

Also really like Rolland Jones as a pass rusher.
Reply/Quote

That's the difference between Ascended Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2!
[Image: 280?cb=20100506144945]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 02:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I gotta ask Fred, is that an actual picture of you?

Yes.  My hair is usually a little longer but that was the best close up I could find.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 02:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I know Fred will bring out the stats that say Willis wasn't very good either

I might, but I also say that I never judge a player by his rookie season.  Most players improve their second year in the league.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 03:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I might, but I also say that I never judge a player by his rookie season.  Most players improve their second year in the league.

True.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 02:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes.  My hair is usually a little longer but that was the best close up I could find.

That picture may be too warm & likeable of an image of you.

It will make it harder for folks to be pi$$ed at you when we are involved in long arguments with you in Threads.

Consider getting a Mohawk haircut, with an edgy goatee, Elton John style red shaded glasses & a Mike Tyson style face tattoo for a new picture.

This will ensure that no Posters hold back any argument venom due to a likeable guy picture when battling it out with you over various issues.

A more in your face image of you may add to argument related tensions as you challenge various Posters in your own unique way in Threads.

Something to consider... Tongue
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 03:35 PM)depthchart Wrote: That picture may be too warm & likeable of an image of you.

It will make it harder for folks to be pi$$ed at you when we are involved in long arguments with you in Threads.

Consider getting a Mohawk haircut, with an edgy goatee, Elton John style red shaded glasses & a Mike Tyson style face tattoo for a new picture.

This will ensure that no Posters hold back any argument venom due to a likeable guy picture when battling it out with you over various issues.

A more in your face image of you may add to argument related tensions as you challenge various Posters in your own unique way in Threads.

Something to consider... Tongue

Or just wear Steelers gear. That will get this crowd going!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 03:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Or just wear Steelers gear. That will get this crowd going!

Or Fred could interchange between two pictures:   

one holding up a Marvin face over his own and the other holding a Paul Alexander face over his own.

Whichever of the two he is defending at the time.  Sure to Honk off their haters & allow Fred to further Poke the Bear...
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 02:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great news, i have high hopes for this guy. He is quiet and likes to just go to work which i can understand him

I wouldn't put much stock into him rubbing people the wrong way.  Seems to me that perhaps the author had to dig deep to find something grabbing to tell about, and maybe make it seem like more than it actually was.  If I were a guessing man, I'd say it might be a while before Jordan Willis offers up any info to that particular reporter again.  It's awful convenient that the two players mentioned by name are no longer with the team.  Actually, guys like Gilberry and Clarke would have pretty good motive to not be welcoming to him, after all he was drafted in the 3rd round to come and take their jobs.  (I realize that Willis didn't name anyone, but the author sure brought those names right up in the next paragraph.  I have read enough of these articles over the years to get what they're trying to say.)

As for him now?  Hell yeah, adding 15# of muscle without losing any speed is a phenomenal achievement.  If he keeps getting bigger, he just might end up in that DE/DT role that the team seems to enjoy having on board.  In a worst case scenario, he might be the one to step into Carlos' role, when the inevitable day arrives.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Flamboyance wears thin after awhile. Give me somebody who does his job without all the "oooh,, look at what I just did" histrionics. Willis' extroverted teammates need to get over themselves if they have a problem with somebody being quiet and keeping to himself.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2018, 05:20 PM)snowy Wrote: Flamboyance wears thin after awhile. Give me somebody who does his job without all the "oooh,, look at what I just did" histrionics. Willis' extroverted teammates need to get over themselves if they have a problem with somebody being quiet and keeping to himself.

That is another problem I have with Willis's claim.  Seems like the type of demeanor he is describing would not bother anyone.  Makes me question his story a bit.
Reply/Quote