Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting prediction for Bengal "breakout player"
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-2015-players-could-breakthroughs-2015-063539501--nfl.html

NFL 2015: Players who could make breakthroughs in 2015
By BARRY WILNER (AP Pro Football Writer)
July 29, 2015 2:35 AM
AP - Sports

If you're not sure where Le'Veon Bell and Justin Forsett came from to reach the top of the NFL rushing charts, this will be helpful.

If you couldn't identify Jerry Hughes or Tashaun Gipson before they burst through as top-level defenders, read on.

Here's a road map to some likely breakthrough players - an All-Risers Team, if you will - for the 2015 season.

C-Russell Bodine, Bengals.

He started all 16 games as a rookie in 2014, and helped Cincinnati rank sixth in rushing. Pro Bowl could be next.

[Image: jon-popcorn.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 01:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl-2015-players-could-breakthroughs-2015-063539501--nfl.html

NFL 2015: Players who could make breakthroughs in 2015
By BARRY WILNER (AP Pro Football Writer)
July 29, 2015 2:35 AM
AP - Sports

If you're not sure where Le'Veon Bell and Justin Forsett came from to reach the top of the NFL rushing charts, this will be helpful.

If you couldn't identify Jerry Hughes or Tashaun Gipson before they burst through as top-level defenders, read on.

Here's a road map to some likely breakthrough players - an All-Risers Team, if you will - for the 2015 season.

C-Russell Bodine, Bengals.

He started all 16 games as a rookie in 2014, and helped Cincinnati rank sixth in rushing. Pro Bowl could be next.

[Image: jon-popcorn.gif]
I don't think Bodine was terrible last year.  I like him more than Cook that's for sure.  I also remember reading that Lamur, B Thompson, and Sanu were supposed to "break out" in 2013...  Still waiting.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
It's interesting I guess, but I don't know if it means a whole lot.

I'm sure there are plenty of players that are projected as being that season's "breakout players" that don't improve by much. You usually don't hear about it because these guys don't write articles about how wrong they were.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 01:23 PM)jason Wrote: I don't think Bodine was terrible last year.  I like him more than Cook that's for sure.  I also remember reading that Lamur, B Thompson, and Sanu were supposed to "break out" in 2013...  Still waiting.

Why? 
Reply/Quote
Personally I think Bodine will improve a lot this year, but predicting a Pro Bowl is way over the top at this point.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 01:43 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Why? 

I didn't notice him getting rag dolled into Andy as much as I saw it happen with Cook.  Bodine was the weak link on the line for sure (it's a pretty good O line), but he was a rookie.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 01:43 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Why? 

Cook was not the same player after getting injured in 2012.  He was agood player before then, but never really recovered.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 02:09 PM)jason Wrote: I didn't notice him getting rag dolled into Andy as much as I saw it happen with Cook.  Bodine was the weak link on the line for sure (it's a pretty good O line), but he was a rookie.

That didn't happen as much as it was said to have. That was mostly message board hype. When Cook lost a battle it looked bad, but he lost far fewer than Bodine did. 

(07-30-2015, 02:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cook was not the same player after getting injured in 2012.  He was agood player before then, but never really recovered.

Sure but he was never as bad as some say.
It's just PFF but if he was as bad as some say he wouldn't have a career +8.5 rating...if he was getting ragdolled everywhere it would be a negative. 
Bodine currently sits at -15.6

Yes it was his rookie year. But all that shows is he probably shouldn't have been starting as a rookie..

People hated Cook long before the injury. People needed a scapegoat. He was an easy target, former UDFA, no real hype around him....
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 02:57 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: That didn't happen as much as it was said to have. That was mostly message board hype. When Cook lost a battle it looked bad, but he lost far fewer than Bodine did. 

Sure but he was never as bad as some say.
It's just PFF but if he was as bad as some say he wouldn't have a career +8.5 rating...if he was getting ragdolled everywhere it would be a negative. 
Bodine currently sits at -15.6

Yes it was his rookie year. But all that shows is he probably shouldn't have been starting as a rookie..

People hated Cook long before the injury. People needed a scapegoat. He was an easy target, former UDFA, no real hype around him....

I think the two parts I bolded go hand in hand. He was an easy target because it often looked BRUTAL when he got beat. It really made it look a lot worse than he was, and I believe he did have a pretty rough season which turned on the message board hate patrol.

I don't think Maualuga is a great LB, but he had that one terrible season and now there is a portion of the fanbase that will say "Maualuga sucks" no matter what he does. I believe the same happened with Cook. After the first season where he looked mediocre it became the narrative that he's really bad.
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2015, 03:07 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I think the two parts I bolded go hand in hand. He was an easy target because it often looked BRUTAL when he got beat. It really made it look a lot worse than he was, and I believe he did have a pretty rough season which turned on the message board hate patrol.

I don't think Maualuga is a great LB, but he had that one terrible season and now there is a portion of the fanbase that will say "Maualuga sucks" no matter what he does. I believe the same happened with Cook. After the first season where he looked mediocre it became the narrative that he's really bad.

That's how it works on message boards. Then the further you get, you dont remember the plays but you remember the message board rhetoric that goes 24/7 365.

Bodine has a long road a head of him. 
Reply/Quote