Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting stats.
Just saw on the ticker while watching Golic and Wingo the bengals defense averaged 68 snaps a game and had a 3 and out rate of 42% on offense. Both of which were worst in the league. I knew it was bad but didn't realize just how bad.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 10:24 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: Just saw on the ticker while watching Golic and Wingo the bengals defense averaged 68 snaps a game and had a 3 and out rate of 42% on offense. Both of which were worst in the league. I knew it was bad but didn't realize just how bad.

Lets blame the offensive line?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
and can you believe the record we had with that stat? We went 7-9. Thats a pretty good record considering how bad we looked. The texans game was torture.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully everything was the fault of Zampese and PA. Actually, those guys were both so awful that it's entirely possible.
Reply/Quote
Well the stats make sense in tandem. The more 3 and outs you have, the more your defense is on the field. If you have the most 3 and outs, it is all but a guarantee that you will also have the most defensive snaps. The only exception would be if your offense has a boatload of turnovers, creating more defensive snaps that way.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 10:40 AM)treee Wrote: Well the stats make sense in tandem. The more 3 and outs you have, the more your defense is on the field. If you have the most 3 and outs, it is all but a guarantee that you will also have the most defensive snaps. The only exception would be if your offense has a boatload of turnovers, creating more defensive snaps that way.

Pretty amazing since the Browns had an amazingly awful -28 turnover differential and 41 giveaways in 2017.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/givetake/sort/giveTotal
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 10:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Hopefully everything was the fault of Zampese and PA.  Actually, those guys were both so awful that it's entirely possible.

Possible? It's 90% likely
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 10:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Hopefully everything was the fault of Zampese and PA.  Actually, those guys were both so awful that it's entirely possible.

one or the other by themselves might not have been so bad but it was the ultimate suck combo
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 10:24 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: Just saw on the ticker while watching Golic and Wingo the bengals defense averaged 68 snaps a game and had a 3 and out rate of 42% on offense. Both of which were worst in the league. I knew it was bad but didn't realize just how bad.

Perfect shit storm.  Our offense couldn't stay on the field on 3rd down, and our defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd down.  By the end of the season, the defense was gassed.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Well, I know they had 3 straight games in mid-season where they averaged under 60 snaps a game offensively...
Reply/Quote

Very possible. I expect a big turnaround especially in the running game with Lazor having his own playbook and
Pollack, Glenn and hopefully Ragnow and an improved RT. Mixon and Gio should have a great year once the OL
starts to gel. Than look for our Defense to be fresh and we won't be looking at 3rd and longs near as much on
Offense.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 02:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Very possible. I expect a big turnaround especially in the running game with Lazor having his own playbook and
Pollack, Glenn and hopefully Ragnow and an improved RT. Mixon and Gio should have a great year once the OL
starts to gel. Than look for our Defense to be fresh and we won't be looking at 3rd and longs near as much on
Offense.

gotta get that ground game going much better than last year... But if the last 2 games last year are any indication we should be okay...

(think a day 3 RB comes in too for the STs spot. or 3rd RB as we down to 2)
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 03:04 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: gotta get that ground game going much better than last year... But if the last 2 games last year are any indication we should be okay...

(think a day 3 RB comes in too for the STs spot. or 3rd RB as we down to 2)

Thought we still had Brian Hill? He was impressive last year against the Lions.

I think he could be a great 3rd RB for us. Also think we still have Tre Carson on the PS?

Not really looking for a RB this Draft until late. I think we are good there, just need to get the line built up.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 12:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: Perfect shit storm.  Our offense couldn't stay on the field on 3rd down, and our defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd down.  By the end of the season, the defense was gassed.

Absolutely, true. This has been a perineal problem for us, stemming, in my view, from a combination PA's inability to work with his offensive coordinators. I have hope for Ced and Fisher under Pollack, and Lazor's replaced the playbook with a new one. I think we're going to look an awfully lot like the Cowboys did when we played them last. If we fix the Oline, Mixon's going to look a lot like Zeke, too. And I'm totally fine with that. 

I'm guessing that Lapham is wrong this year. I'm predicting James Daniels at 21, but I'd be more than happy with Ragnow. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 03:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thought we still had Brian Hill? He was impressive last year against the Lions.

I think he could be a great 3rd RB for us. Also think we still have Tre Carson on the PS?

Not really looking for a RB this Draft until late. I think we are good there, just need to get the line built up.

I love the way Tre Carson runs the ball. Still, if Dimitri Flowers is there for us with the first pick of Round 5, I take him. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 03:49 PM)Shady Wrote: Absolutely, true. This has been a perineal problem for us, stemming, in my view, from a combination PA's inability to work with his offensive coordinators. I have hope for Ced and Fisher under Pollack, and Lazor's replaced the playbook with a new one. I think we're going to look an awfully lot like the Cowboys did when we played them last. If we fix the Oline, Mixon's going to look a lot like Zeke, too. And I'm totally fine with that. 

I'm guessing that Lapham is wrong this year. I'm predicting James Daniels at 21, but I'd be more than happy with Ragnow. 

You know.....after what Lazor had to say after the scheme switch.....that theory may just hold quite a bit of water.  I hadn't really thought about that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Even missing a game Dre Kirkpatrick probably played more snaps than any other defender in the league last year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 03:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: You know.....after what Lazor had to say after the scheme switch.....that theory may just hold quite a bit of water.  I hadn't really thought about that.

Right? I just think the Ced O. problem stemmed from Doofus Alexander asking him to do things he's not good at. Maybe a different scheme would help him? I don't know. I just hope we don't f'ing take Kolton Miller. lol
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 03:49 PM)Shady Wrote: Absolutely, true. This has been a perineal problem for us, stemming, in my view, from a combination PA's inability to work with his offensive coordinators. I have hope for Ced and Fisher under Pollack, and Lazor's replaced the playbook with a new one. I think we're going to look an awfully lot like the Cowboys did when we played them last. If we fix the Oline, Mixon's going to look a lot like Zeke, too. And I'm totally fine with that. 

Man, as much hate i give out to Merv sure seems like he was handicapped with this guy.

Sunset and i were talking in the Draft forum and he brought up a point about maybe Troy and Katie intentionally
sabotaged PA for once when they didn't bring back Whit and Zeit. He always said he could coach up poor players
to MIKE and they said put it where your mouth is and look what happened. He is gone and we have Frank frickin'
Pollack. Might of needed to throw a little sabotage to get a good O-line coach in here so we have a shot at a SB
before ole Mikey kicks the bucket.

Who knows?

(04-26-2018, 03:52 PM)Shady Wrote: I love the way Tre Carson runs the ball. Still, if Dimitri Flowers is there for us with the first pick of Round 5, I take him. 

Would be all for it, just not a RB early.

(04-26-2018, 03:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: You know.....after what Lazor had to say after the scheme switch.....that theory may just hold quite a bit of water.  I hadn't really thought about that.

Definately could be something to it.

Lazor said something about the coaches needed to have different points of view.

Sounds like PA was hard to work with.

(04-26-2018, 04:03 PM)Shady Wrote: Right? I just think the Ced O. problem stemmed from Doofus Alexander asking him to do things he's not good at. Maybe a different scheme would help him? I don't know. I just hope we don't f'ing take Kolton Miller. lol

Exactly, no Kolton Miller. Don't worry Shady, that was a smokescreen from Lap.

No way was Pollack going to take a LT that is purely a pass protector and isn't even great at it that has no bend.
Reply/Quote