Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting trivia
There have only been 2 players in baseball history with 300 home runs and 400 stolen bases.

And they are father and son.

Bobby Bonds (332 HR, 461 SB) and his son Barry (762 HR, 519 SB).
Reply/Quote
The avocado is a berry.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 02:35 PM)Benton Wrote: The avocado is a berry.

Did you know that Berry had six children? Their names were, Blue, Goose, Cran, Straw, Black and Rasp? However, 3 of these were adopted. Do you know which ones?

Reply/Quote
I was looking up if anyone was close, and I'm sure plenty of people know this, but I didn't. Billy Hamilton is #3 in stolen bases. He was a white guy born in the 1860s, but that's kind of nuts. The current Billy Hamilton is tied at 179.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 09:41 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I was looking up if anyone was close, and I'm sure plenty of people know this, but I didn't.  Billy Hamilton is #3 in stolen bases.  He was a white guy born in the 1860s, but that's kind of nuts.  The current Billy Hamilton is tied at 179.

The Billy Hamilton that is now listed at #3 all time in stolen bases did not exist in the 1970's.  I specifically remember Lou Brock breaking TY Cobb's record for career stolen bases.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 11:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The Billy Hamilton that is now listed at #3 all time in stolen bases did not exist in the 1970's.  I specifically remember Lou Brock breaking TY Cobb's record for career stolen bases.

Yeah if you would have asked me the top three base stealers I would have said Henderson, Brock, Cobb.  Don't know when this Hamilton guy showed up.  I just assumed I remembered incorrectly.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 07:56 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Did you know that Berry had six children? Their names were, Blue, Goose, Cran, Straw, Black and Rasp? However, 3 of these were adopted. Do you know which ones?

Hmmm. I'd guess Straw, Rasp and Goose.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 01:00 PM)Benton Wrote: Hmmm. I'd guess Straw, Rasp and Goose.

My first response was “Damnit!” Then realized you were incorrect. One of those things is not like the other.

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2019, 07:56 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Did you know that Berry had six children? Their names were, Blue, Goose, Cran, Straw, Black and Rasp? However, 3 of these were adopted. Do you know which ones?

You forgot dingle. He was the black sheep of the family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
June 8, 1920 Reds center fielder Ed Roush was ejected from the game for sleeping on the field.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 06:02 AM)Jason_NC Wrote: June 8, 1920 Reds center fielder Ed Roush was ejected from the game for sleeping on the field.

Hilarious  must have been a really long inning....
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 12:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Hilarious  must have been a really long inning....

An argument broke out between (I think) a manager and an umpire.  It went on for some time so Ed put his cap and glove down on the ground and laid down.  By the time the argument was over Roush was asleep.  So they sent someone out to wake him up and tossed him for holding up play. (As if the argument didn't do that.   Hilarious )
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2019, 10:03 PM)Jason_NC Wrote: An argument broke out between (I think) a manager and an umpire.  It went on for some time so Ed put his cap and glove down on the ground and laid down.  By the time the argument was over Roush was asleep.  So they sent someone out to wake him up and tossed him for holding up play. (As if the argument didn't do that.   Hilarious )

wonder how many fans also fell asleep.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2019, 02:35 PM)Benton Wrote: The avocado is a berry.

As are grapes which by the way got their name from the actual tool used to cut them from their vines..The Graper.. Actually in old french graper was a verb that meant "to pick grapes", but it was the hooked tool used that gave us the term grapes.. Strange how language evolves sometimes.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2019, 11:17 AM)grampahol Wrote: As are grapes which by the way got their name from the actual tool used to cut them from their vines..The Graper.. Actually in old french graper was a verb that meant "to pick grapes", but it was the hooked tool used that gave us the term grapes.. Strange how language evolves sometimes.. 

And you were there to witness it and therefore enlighten us all.  

Reply/Quote