Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mock Me (Out of the Box) SPECIAL EDITION!!
At the end of each season I usually like to do a season review and at the very beginning of the draft season I like to do an "Out of the Box" Mock Draft but this upcoming offseason is special. Marvin Lewis and the Bengals have parted ways so the future of the team is up in the air. Since draft season started early for me this year I decided to combine my review and mock so...

Break News: Mike Brown retires and the Cincinnati Bengals hire Synric as their General Manager.

First I have to decided on a direction I would like the Bengals to take and that starts with the Head Coach. At first I leaned toward Zac Taylor and his WCO but after an interview with Todd Monken I am buying into his Coryell/Air Raid offense with his Mesh Concepts, bunch formations, pick plays, crossers all which makes life easier on a QB. Next I need a defensive coorinator, I like the defensive personnel and so I bring in a guy that fits. Vance Joseph runs a man coverage 34/43 hybrid defense with single gap concepts up front. 

Head Coach: Todd Monken
Offensive Coordinator: Bill Lazor
Defensive Coordinator: Vance Joseph

That brings us to the offseason starting with Free Agency and the Bengals have 53 million in cap space. (-10 million for draft picks. 43 million):

Darqueze Dennard resigned (8mil): In the NFL when teams are running more 11 personnel than anything else a slot corner that is solid in coverage and great against the run is a must. 

Preston Brown resigned (4mil): Brown was hurt early and didnt look great on the year but alot of that was to do with Austin. The Bengals need linebackers.million.

Andre Smith resigned (4.5mil): Dre hasnt been good in recent years and is getting older but the Bengals have no tackles outside of Glenn going into the draft.

C.J. Uzomah resigned (3mil): Uzo played alot of snaps this year but never really stood out blocking or receiving, but he is solid depth at a position that doesnt have any.

Trey Hopkins resigned (2.5mil): Hopkins is the backup Guard/Center with experience.

Before looking at outside free agents lets trim some fat...

Vontaze Burfict released (6.8 mil savings): Burfict is having serious concussion issues and it will keep him out of alot of ball games. Its time to cut our loses.

Giovani Bernard released (3.8 mil savings): I like Gio he is a good 3rd down back. That said the Bengals dont need a 3rd down back to pair with BJGE anymore. They dont need to take Mixon off the field just because its 3rd down. The Bengals need a Running back that can spell Mixon and carry the load if he gets injured. I would like to trade Gio for a 6th round pick but decided to leave trades out of this mock.

Outside Free Agents:

Daryl Williams RT Carolina Panthers signed (11mil): Daryl Williams struggled in 2016 in pass protection but was a stellar run blocker. In 2017 Williams took a step forward and cleaned up his pass protection and finished as one of the better right tackles in the NFL. 2018 was not kind to Williams with 2 conconsecutive Knee injuries through training camp into week 1. Even with the injury Williams will command a 9 to 10 million a year contract Im leaning closer to 9 but for the sake of the post lets say his 2019 cap hit is 11 million.

Max Williams TE Baltimore Ravens signed (4mil): Williams has fought through alot of injuries in his short career but was actually healthy and looking good in 2018 but the Ravens had already taken 2 new TEs in the 2018 draft so Williams was a healthy scratch at points during the year. Max is a motion TE or H-back with good speed and hands he has also improved his run blocking.

After free agency I still have 16.6 Million in cap space.

2019 NFL DRAFT DAY HAS ARRIVED!! (Remember "Out of the Box" lol)

Devin White makes alot of sense in the first round because the Bengals need talent at linebacker and they play in the run oriented AFC North BUT Devin White is gone...

1. AJ Brown WR, Ole MIss: I know I know "A Wide Receiver?!?!" Brown is a playmaker can play inside or outside hes got strong hands is a smooth route runner and is dangerous with the ball in his hands. Brown could very well be BPA and I think he would thrive in Monkens air raid system.

2. TJ Hockenson TE, Iowa: Hockenson is one of my favorite players Ive watched this year. TJ is an outstanding inline blocker he can go 1 on 1 with a 4-3 End and pick up 3-4 OLBs. TJ is great at getting to the second level blocking linebackers and safeties in space. He also runs smooth routes and is a good reciever. He is really fun to watch coming off the line on playaction. Hockenson reminds me of a guy Bengals fans still have nightmares about...I can still hear crowd roaring heath...Heath...HEATH.

3. Germaine Pratt LB, North Carolina State: Pratt is a long rangy ILB/OLB. He is a converted safety so he can really fly around and has that backround in coverage.

4. Dennis Daley OT, South Carolina: Daley is a massive SEC tackle that has played against some tough competition. Hes a plus run blocker and solid pass protector but because hes a JUCO transfer he needs to work on alot of technique. 

5. David Montgomery RB, Iowa State: Montgomery is a tough runner that is hard to bring down while he isnt flashy he is a solid back with good hands.

6. Easton Stick QB, North Dakota State: Stick has as much talent at QB as all the QBs in this draft but he has alot of work to do with eye discipline and mental aspects of the game. Give Stick to Monken Lazor and Van Pelt and see what they can do with him.

7. Lester Cotton G, Alabama: Can never go wrong with SEC linemen. Cotton hasnt lived up to his 4 star raiting but is still a good run blocker and could surprise.

(Comp) Trevon Wesco FB/TE, West Virginia: My one WVU guy lol. Wesco is a good run blocker that can get open and catch balls as a FB or H-Back. He also is tough to bring down averaging the most yards after contact at TE in the big 12.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not bad, at all. Although, I think that you were too generous to Andre Smith. Last season, prior to cutting him in mid-season, the Cards had only signed him to 2 years at 3M/per. In light of how little the Bengals used him, once he was back on the team, I would think Vet. minimum for him. (a little over a million for a 10 year vet)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Lost me when i saw 8 mil for Dennard. Nope no way no how.

Eagles are in the playoffs with a scrape heap at CB. Time to see what else is out there and what our young guys can do.

Already over spending on Kirkpatrick. I am more than prepared to move on from Dennard who looks like an undersized LB running around slow out there.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 02:23 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Lost me when i saw 8 mil for Dennard. Nope no way no how.

Eagles are in the playoffs with a scrape heap at CB. Time to see what else is out there and what our young guys can do.

Already over spending on Kirkpatrick. I am more than prepared to move on from Dennard who looks like an undersized LB running around slow out there.

I agree, 8M is too high for a short, speed challenged CB, that still plays the man by the face, like he's still in college.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 02:23 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Lost me when i saw 8 mil for Dennard. Nope no way no how.

Agreed,

Dennard is not a good CB at all. His football/CB awareness is bad, he can't read receivers at all and never gets his head around - never !

Only thing he's good at is running along with guys and hoping they don't catch the ball.
Reply/Quote
I like some of what your saying: Here's my take:

HC-Monken
OC-?
DC-Vance Joseph

Free agents we bring back:

1) Dennard-no more than 6million per
2) Hopkins-1.5
3) Uzomah-2
4) Smith 1.5

Cut bait:
1) Burfict 6.8 savings

Free Agents:

1) Max Williams-TE decent depth guy
2) Anthony Barr-OLB -get a solid playmaker here

Draft:
-need to come away with upgrades at oline, LB, CB, QB, and TE
Reply/Quote
Don't like it. I like the premise, but I have a few issues:

1. Preston Brown - I just don't see where he's a fit in today's NFL. I am not in favor of signing guys that aren't pure cover linebackers. I just feel like the league has changed and unless you can cover, don't bother coming.

2. I'm not cutting Gio. No way. That being said, my OC/HC hire needs to figure out a way to be creative using 2 back sets. You can't tell me that having both Gio and Mixon in the formation wouldn't put some serious pressure on defenses.

3. Not giving Andre nearly 5 million.

4. We've already had one TE that can't stay healthy, I'm not going to blow money on another one.

5. There's just no way I would draft a WR at #11. Not with Boyd and Green. I can't see a scenario where he's the BPA.
Reply/Quote
Here is a way out of the box. Build a solid foundation by using the 2019 and 2020 drafts to get players for OL/DL positions, shore up LB and CB and then trade as many players/draft picks as it takes to get Trevor Lawrence in 2021.
Reply/Quote
It took me a minute to realize I forgot to put the numbers are the players 2019 cap hit not the yearly average for the signed contract.

Dennard would be a 4 year 24 mil a year contract 6 average but that first year is a 8 mil cap hit. ( I see I did explain it under Daryl Williams contract 9 mil a year average 11 mil cap hit in 2019.)
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote

Dennard had a breakout season in 2017 but took a step back in Austin's zone defense.  The NFL runs more 11 man personnel than any other time in history (Rams ran 11 personnel 80% in 2017). A nickle that can fight through blocks to stop the run, screens, and rubs is huge.

(01-08-2019, 03:51 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Don't like it.  I like the premise, but I have a few issues:

1.  Preston Brown - I just don't see where he's a fit in today's NFL.  I am not in favor of signing guys that aren't pure cover linebackers.  I just feel like the league has changed and unless you can cover, don't bother coming.

2.  I'm not cutting Gio.  No way.  That being said, my OC/HC hire needs to figure out a way to be creative using 2 back sets.  You can't tell me that having both Gio and Mixon in the formation wouldn't put some serious pressure on defenses.

3. Not giving Andre nearly 5 million.

4.  We've already had one TE that can't stay healthy, I'm not going to blow money on another one.

5.  There's just no way I would draft a WR at #11.  Not with Boyd and Green.  I can't see a scenario where he's the BPA.

I'm giving Preston Brown another shot because he was playing hurt and how bad Austin's scheme was...he was good in 2016 and 2017. At worse he can fill in as a 2 down base package middle linebacker.

Gio...I like Gio but at this point he really doesn't bring anything to the team. Pulling one of your best players in Mixon on important 3rd down situations is silly. The Bengals need a guy to give Mixon a breather and average 20 touches a game if Mixon is hurt Gio cant.

I have Andre Smith down as a 2 year 6.5 mil contract 4.5 front loaded. The Cardinals signed him at a 2 year 8 mil back loaded (2.5 mil cap hit in 2018, 5.5 mil cap hit in 2019). The NFL is hurting at offensive line depth especially tackle someone will pay him to come stand on the sidelines hopefully its the Bengals.

Finally someone mentions the 1st round WR. As I said in my post AJ Brown fits what I want to do on offense and is a PLAYMAKER. Also AJ Green and Tyler Boyd are both entering contract seasons with no real depth behind him. I'm not writing off John Ross but did not show me anything to make me believe he could replace the production of either of those guys if they leave...behind Ross its Malone, Core, and Tate. Alex Erickson is really the only WR depth and he's a spot player and good return guy at best.

Reply/Quote

U do realize when dennard went down is when we started sucking.. we couldn't play man defense at. All. Nobody could guard the slot. Dennard is our 2nd best CB.
Reply/Quote
6-8 million is the going average for a young quality starting CB, it's what Dennard will get paid. I am okay with WR, but not Brown I'd prefer Harry or Harmon because they have more of the AJ replacement (That day is coming eventually) build I am looking for.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 10:00 AM)Au165 Wrote: 6-8 million is the going average for a young quality starting CB, it's what Dennard will get paid. I am okay with WR, but not Brown I'd prefer Harry or Harmon because they have more of the AJ replacement (That day is coming eventually) build I am looking for.

I picked Brown because he's a fit for the offense I was trying to build. He strikes me as a bigger Jarvis Landry.

Reply/Quote
Finally someone mentions the 1st round WR. As I said in my post AJ Brown fits what I want to do on offense and is a PLAYMAKER. Also AJ Green and Tyler Boyd are both entering contract seasons with no real depth behind him. I'm not writing off John Ross but did not show me anything to make me believe he could replace the production of either of those guys if they leave...behind Ross its Malone, Core, and Tate. Alex Erickson is really the only WR depth and he's a spot player and good return guy at best.
[/quote]

Great point. I didn’t consider it was TE and AJ’s contract years. Taking a WR therefore does make some good sense. Although, using early picks to improve the OL may give the WR’s another second to get open...
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 12:07 AM)TrenchWarfare Wrote: Finally someone mentions the 1st round WR. As I said in my post AJ Brown fits what I want to do on offense and is a PLAYMAKER. Also AJ Green and Tyler Boyd are both entering contract seasons with no real depth behind him. I'm not writing off John Ross but did not show me anything to make me believe he could replace the production of either of those guys if they leave...behind Ross its Malone, Core, and Tate. Alex Erickson is really the only WR depth and he's a spot player and good return guy at best.

Great point. I didn’t consider it was TE and AJ’s contract years. Taking a WR therefore does make some good sense. Although, using early picks to improve the OL may give the WR’s another second to get open...
[/quote]

Well, we should have plenty of money to extend both AJ and Boyd.  No sense in wasting a first rounder on a WR.
Reply/Quote
Not too bad really. I wouldn't mind a play maker in the 1st, but would prefer a LB or OT, if an upgrade is there.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 07:32 PM)Synric Wrote: Dennard had a breakout season in 2017 but took a step back in Austin's zone defense.  The NFL runs more 11 man personnel than any other time in history (Rams ran 11 personnel 80% in 2017). A nickle that can fight through blocks to stop the run, screens, and rubs is huge.

I'm giving Preston Brown another shot because he was playing hurt and how bad Austin's scheme was...he was good in 2016 and 2017. At worse he can fill in as a 2 down base package middle linebacker.

Gio...I like Gio but at this point he really doesn't bring anything to the team. Pulling one of your best players in Mixon on important 3rd down situations is silly. The Bengals need a guy to give Mixon a breather and average 20 touches a game if Mixon is hurt Gio cant.

I have Andre Smith down as a 2 year 6.5 mil contract 4.5 front loaded. The Cardinals signed him at a 2 year 8 mil back loaded (2.5 mil cap hit in 2018, 5.5 mil cap hit in 2019). The NFL is hurting at offensive line depth especially tackle someone will pay him to come stand on the sidelines hopefully its the Bengals.

That's the problem, we don't have an offensive coordinator (at least not last year) that is creative enough to use Gio as a weapon as opposed to just a RB.  There's no reason you can't have him on the field with Mixon and create some serious mismatches.

I keep watching the Rams, Chiefs and Saints and keep seeing guys WIDE open.  That's scheme and I can't remember the last time we had guys wide open because of scheme.
Reply/Quote