Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting two takes reviewing 2018 class
Got one from Hobson, positive and upbeat. One from Kat Terrell, that’s ho-hum and depressing.

https://www.bengals.com/news/2018-draft-review-strong-pieces-to-build-upon

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/31074/bengals-2018-draft-class-mediocre-outside-of-safety-jessie-bates

Personally, I think it was a good draft because we did hit on at least 3 future starters in Price, Bates and Hubbard. Maybe a 4th starter if Jefferson can improve. Any draft that you can get 2 starters out of is pretty good imo.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 05:35 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Got one from Hobson, positive and upbeat. One from Kat Terrell, that’s ho-hum and depressing.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/31074/bengals-2018-draft-class-mediocre-outside-of-safety-jessie-bates

Personally, I think it was a good draft because we did hit on at least 3 future starters in Price, Bates and Hubbard. Maybe a 4th starter if Jefferson can improve. Any draft that you can get 2 starters out of is pretty good imo.

I don't think you can say they "hit" on Price just yet. He did start, yes, but he wasn't good this past year.
I still don't think Mark Walton was a good draft pick. Why spend a 4th rounder on a 3rd string RB? Those can be picked up late in the draft or cheap in FA.
It feels like Malik Jefferson got the John Ross treatment as a rookie. Didn't see the field as a rookie and there wasn't a lot of explanation as to why.
I'm holding out hope that the new regime will find a way to get him some snaps in 2019.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 05:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't think you can say they "hit" on Price just yet. He did start, yes, but he wasn't good this past year.
I still don't think Mark Walton was a good draft pick. Why spend a 4th rounder on a 3rd string RB? Those can be picked up late in the draft or cheap in FA.
It feels like Malik Jefferson got the John Ross treatment as a rookie. Didn't see the field as a rookie and there wasn't a lot of explanation as to why.
I'm holding out hope that the new regime will find a way to get him some snaps in 2019.

I think Price did just fine for a rookie center only playing center for his second year and missing a big chunk with injury. Can’t wait to see his improvement next season.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 07:19 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think Price did just fine for a rookie center only playing center for his second year and missing a big chunk with injury. Can’t wait to see his improvement next season.

If you have to put 3 reasons to disregard bad play upon why he did "just fine", then it's not a "hit". All those excuses you made were made for Cedric Ogbuehi's rookie season too.

You also went and called already appointed Jefferson a 4th starter if he can "improve" after being on the bench the entire season despite playing a position of desperate need while people named Hardy Nickerson and Jordan Evans made 7 and 5 starts, respectively.

- - - - - - -

Also Sam Hubbard started 0 games.

He did well as a rotational backup, but we don't know if that means he was being kept away from showing a lot of flaws in his game that would be exposed by being a starter or not until he actually does start.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 07:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If you have to put 3 reasons to disregard bad play upon why he did "just fine", then it's not a "hit". All those excuses you made were made for Cedric Ogbuehi's rookie season too.

You also went and called already appointed Jefferson a 4th starter if he can "improve" after being on the bench the entire season despite playing a position of desperate need while people named Hardy Nickerson and Jordan Evans made 7 and 5 starts, respectively.

- - - - - - -

He did well as a rotational backup, but we don't know if that means he was being kept away from showing a lot of flaws in his game that would be exposed by being a starter or not until he actually does start.

We are talking about rookies. You need to check your expectations about what kids, playing against men for the first time, can do in their first year. Not I or Hobs or Kat said these guys are perfect and on their way to the HOF.

My 3 reasons were to show there is hope for Price, even though he struggled at times. I have no doubt he has the ability to play Oline in the NFL, might have to move to OG if he can’t handle the snapping though. I don’t put Ced in that category, he does not have what it takes to play in the NFL. Price gave up 1 sack and 1 QB hit in 10 games played, Ced can’t do that in one series.

As for Jefferson, wth is wrong with saying he has the talent to be a starter if he gets better? That’s true for a lot of young guys with talent, like Evans who was a guy with a lot of talent, who became a starter in his second season. Jefferson was/is a known raw project, that’s why we got him in the 3rd round.

Hubbard has flaws in his game? I’m shocked. He’s already showed more playmaking ability in zero games started than MJ and Willis combined, so yeah, I feel pretty confident he’ll be starting next to Atkins next season.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 07:46 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: We are talking about rookies. You need to check your expectations about what kids, playing against men for the first time, can do in their first year. Not I or Hobs or Kat said these guys are perfect and on their way to the HOF.

My 3 reasons were to show there is hope for Price, even though he struggled at times. I have no doubt he has the ability to play Oline in the NFL, might have to move to OG if he can’t handle the snapping though. I don’t put Ced in that category, he does not have what it takes to play in the NFL. Price gave up 1 sack and 1 QB hit in 10 games played, Ced can’t do that in one series.

As for Jefferson, wth is wrong with saying he has the talent to be a starter if he gets better? That’s true for a lot of young guys with talent, like Evans who was a guy with a lot of talent, who became a starter in his second season. Jefferson was/is a known raw project, that’s why we got him in the 3rd round.

Hubbard has flaws in his game? I’m shocked. He’s already showed more playmaking ability in zero games started than MJ and Willis combined, so yeah, I feel pretty confident he’ll be starting next to Atkins next season.

There are 6 rookie Pro Bowlers this year. (With a potential for more as alternates get in.)
12 players from the 2017 draft class have been Pro Bowlers.
18 players from the 2016 draft class have been Pro Bowlers.
17 players from the 2015 draft class have been Pro Bowlers.
30 players from the 2014 draft class have been Pro Bowlers.

That's 83 Pro Bowlers drafted in the last 5 years.

The Bengals haven't drafted a Pro Bowler since 2013.

At some point there needs to be expectations rather than excuse making if you ever want to not suck.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 05:35 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Got one from Hobson, positive and upbeat. One from Kat Terrell, that’s ho-hum and depressing.

Hobspin won't say anything negative, especially if it's truthful.

Jefferson accomplished nothing for a 3rd round pick.

The jury will be out on Price until the end of the next season, although he was miles more productive than 2017's 1st round draft pick John Ross.

Bates and Hubbard are the two main consistent performers from the 2018 draft.

Reply/Quote

I'm with Ocho, saying we "hit" on 3 starters and possibly a 4th is a bit of a stretch.

Bates was a hit but the jury is still out on the rest. I believe Price will improve in his second season and he needs to improve quite a bit. Hubbard has flashed and he looks like he might be a good one but he hasn't done it consistently or started, yet.

Jefferson is a giant stretch to even put a maybe on. We haven't really seen him at all. 

And I still don't get the Walton pick ! It's still way early to really grade this draft but let me just say I hope we get a lot of improvement next season from this class.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 05:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't think you can say they "hit" on Price just yet. He did start, yes, but he wasn't good this past year.

I read somewhere yesterday he only allowed 1 sack and 1 pressure. Not bad for a rookie who had no training camp and was injured the first half of the year....
Reply/Quote

I still have very high hopes for Price and Hubbard.  Bates was the best selection they made, and let's not forget they also got Glenn by trading back and selecting Price.  Whether he was that great or not, he filled a huge hole left by Whit that Ogbuehi was a complete waste of space in trying to do the same thing.

Jefferson, I have no idea.  He was panned for a lack of instincts and looked like the classic athlete, not football player.  If he couldn't get on the field last year, I don't know how lost he must have been in practice.

The young DBs show promise.  Definitely need depth here.  

The most puzzling pick to me was Walton.  We had a couple RBs that shined in preseason and I thought had earned some playing time now that Sexy Rexy was gone.  This kid will always be the pick that should have been Orlando Brown, which would have given us the biggest Tackle tandem in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 07:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If you have to put 3 reasons to disregard bad play upon why he did "just fine", then it's not a "hit". All those excuses you made were made for Cedric Ogbuehi's rookie season too.

- - - - - - -

I thought this kid showed a ton of instincts.  He made plays all over the field.  He played fullback.  He blocked a punt.  He sacked the QB and seemed to wake up the rest of the line.  He changed the outcome of two games pretty much by himself.  I will take a playmaker any day of the week and twice on Sunday.  

He is the classic anti-Bengal.  Tested well, but not a freak, but is a football player.  He was the steal of our draft.  
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 09:34 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I read somewhere yesterday he only allowed 1 sack and 1 pressure. Not bad for a rookie who had no training camp and was injured the first half of the year....

I don't believe that was for a whole season, just in a particular game...
Quote:PICK NO. 21: BILLY PRICE, CINCINNATI BENGALS

2018 SEASON GRADE: 50.9
Price endured his fair share of struggles against a formidable Broncos pass-rush in Week 13 and ended the game with an overall grade of just 51.8, the second-lowest grade of his career. Price allowed a sack and a hurry from his 44 pass-blocking snaps, and he was also called for a penalty.
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/12/6/18127299/bengals-rookie-center-billy-price-given-low-marks-by-pff

If someone has data to support him actually allowing 0 sacks and 0 pressures any game outside of the Broncos game, please link.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 10:44 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't believe that was for a whole season, just in a particular game...
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/12/6/18127299/bengals-rookie-center-billy-price-given-low-marks-by-pff

If someone has data to support him actually allowing 0 sacks and 0 pressures any game outside of the Broncos game, please link.

Chargers game. I'm not sure how to embedd tweets but here's the link.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PFF_Bengals/status/1072240984648531968
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Overall, I thought it was a solid draft. I know Marvin was trying a little different approach but the fact that Price, Bates, and Hubbard saw as much time as they did as Rookies is a good thing. Bates was a great pick in the 2nd round so far and looks to have huge upside as well. Hubbard was great as a rotational Defensive End for a Rookie that should see even more snaps this year as the clear 3rd guy behind Lawson and Dunlap early in the season. Price is the big question mark because he did not have a good first year. However, he was plagued by injury early and then again during the season so I will hold out giving too much judgement until after this season (presuming he can stay healthy).

If Jefferson can become something and Price starts to show the ability he did at Ohio State then this draft could really help turn this team around going forward. Now get a starting MLB and a new Right Tackle and start playing Westerman at Right Guard and we might get back to seeing a winning record.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 11:03 AM)Synric Wrote: Chargers game. I'm not sure how to embedd tweets but here's the link.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PFF_Bengals/status/1072240984648531968

When I said "any game," I meant all games outside of Broncos game because that's the only way Price would have allowed just 1 sack and 1 pressure all season.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 10:44 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't believe that was for a whole season, just in a particular game...

I think most would count that man handling he got in the beginning of the Colts game as allowing a pressure.
Reply/Quote
The stat came from Hobson and it’s not 1 sack and 1 pressure. His stat is 1 sack and 1 QB hit. I’d guess he gave up double digits pressures.

The fact that our rookies aren’t making pro bowls is more on the coaches not developing and not winning. This is the first time, since I gave up on Marv’s coaching ability after 2009, that I’m optimistic we’ll get some coaches that can actually develop young talent, instead of waste it.
Reply/Quote
Want to see how these guys look under a new HC. Bates was a stud, especially for a rookie and was much better at tackling than i thought he would be in his rookie year, Hubbard was making splash plays all year and i think Price will come around now as long as he can stay healthy. Under a new LB coach and a better DC Jefferson i hope can get the mental part of the game down cause he is really talented and we need all the help we can get at LB'er.
Reply/Quote
Bates and Hubbard look like guys who will be huge building blocks for years to come. Also liked what I saw form Phillips at Nickle.
Price was a dissapointment but I wouldn't count him out yet. missing all of the off-season and then having a lisfranc injury during the season isn't easy to overcome for a rookie.
Walton and Jefferson are incomplete picks at this point.
Tate looks like an interesting development pick.
Brown was a dissapointment.
Taylor got hurt and the QB didn't even make the roster.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Jessie Bates looks like a great pick so far. Sam Hubbard looks like a good rotational player thus far, may evolve into having a starting role.

There were some players I'd like to see more of; such as Andrew Brown, Auden Tate, and Darius Philips.

Billy Price had a poor season. He showcased a lot of his weaknesses that he had in college. He can definitely improve his sophmore year, and I hope he does, but he did not do well.
Was also underwhelmed with Mark Walton.

So I think they picked up a good starter in Bates, a good rotational player in Hubbard who could evolve, and a jury still out for Price.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote