Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interim head coach options
If Zack Taylor would be canned mid season who should be the interim head coach to finish the season?
Reply/Quote
Really you could bring in a random fan and get better work. But if you want an actual interim HC it almost has to be Simmons.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Darrin Simmons

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I'd say Simmons without question.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Definitely Simmons. Nobody else on the staff is even remotely qualified
Reply/Quote
Simmons. He’s the assistant head coach, and he usually produces with his guys .
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:58 PM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: If Zack Taylor would be canned mid season who should be the interim head coach to finish the season?

Let Simmons be interim HC with Callahan calling the offensive plays.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:52 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Simmons. He’s the assistant head coach, and he usually produces with his guys .

Although I don’t know what the hell got into Brandon Wilson yesterday. He’s lucky Burrow and others had even worse games…

Reply/Quote
My only concern with that scenario is Mike Brown's lazy approach and just sign Simmons to a contract after the year if he does anything good as intern without doing the research for another HC.
Reply/Quote
1. Darrin Simmons
2. A Scarecrow from ANY Random Farm Along I-71
3. A Cardboard Cutout of Paul Brown
4. Jay Gruden
5. Rex Ryan
1000. Hue Jackson
Reply/Quote
[Image: usa_today_9044585.0.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: usa_today_9044585.0.jpg]

He does look a lot better since he had all of that cosmetic work done.

[Image: d17493909764300a94761a3633c4789a.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Although I don’t know what the hell got into Brandon Wilson yesterday. He’s lucky Burrow and others had even worse games…

Yes. That was why I said usually. Phillips fair catching inside the 10, Wilson bringing out everything, was very annoying.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:35 PM)GodFather Wrote: My only concern with that scenario is Mike Brown's lazy approach and just sign Simmons to a contract after the year if he does anything good as intern without doing the research for another HC.

Yeah, this is why I don't love interim head coaches in general. The first guy normally gets fired for being real real bad. Like 1-9 kind of bad. If the interim guy then goes 2-4, they then call that "positive progress" and keep him around, but there was a reason why you didn't choose him as the HC before and that reason likely didn't change.

Also once a guy is made interim HC, it's hard to demote him back down to his previous role, so it normally makes him have to leave.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 07:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, this is why I don't love interim head coaches in general. The first guy normally gets fired for being real real bad. Like 1-9 kind of bad. If the interim guy then goes 2-4, they then call that "positive progress" and keep him around, but there was a reason why you didn't choose him as the HC before and that reason likely didn't change.

Also once a guy is made interim HC, it's hard to demote him back down to his previous role, so it normally makes him have to leave.

I do really wonder with Simmons, though.  Does he even want to be a HC?  Not everyone wants to be the man.  He's been with the Bengals since 2003 and ST Coordinator since 2013.  That's a really long time to stick in one role with one team if he had aspirations to move on.  And he's had some solid units in that time as well.  So I wonder if he's happy in that role.  And if he stepped in to something like an interim HC role if he'd be okay sliding back into his coordinator seat after the season.  

The interim HC thing in general is just one of those things done to show the fans the team isn't doing nothing.  It makes a public point and that's about all.  The worst thing that can happen is the dead cat bounce with a new face and the team sticks with someone else who wasn't qualified, which is why I don't love the idea in general of an interim.  But I'm also not sure how this team makes it through an entire season with ZT at the helm.  
Reply/Quote
We won't have to worry about any of this. They're not gonna fire the guy mid season if at all.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I'll do it for $70K.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Let Simmons be interim HC with Callahan calling the offensive plays.

What Ocho said. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 07:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, this is why I don't love interim head coaches in general. The first guy normally gets fired for being real real bad. Like 1-9 kind of bad. If the interim guy then goes 2-4, they then call that "positive progress" and keep him around, but there was a reason why you didn't choose him as the HC before and that reason likely didn't change.

Eh, good damn point. 

I want Simmons to stay here regardless as the ST's coach unless he just takes the team on a major run as HC.
Reply/Quote
Get one of them kid's spin and speak toys and glue some play calls to it.
Reply/Quote