Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermittent Fasting
Anyone trying this? I saw an interview with Terry Crews and he talked about fasting from 10pm to 2pm. After doing some reading and watching some videos I started doing this on work days at the beginning of October. Men should fast for about 16 hours at a time. I eat dinner between 5:30 and 6:00, I don’t eat again until lunch at 12:00 (low calorie fluids are ok, I do a cup of coffee with cashew milk when I wake up). I’m currently down 15lbs and feeling great.

The science behind it is, your body goes into efficiency mode after about 12 hours and begins to flush out any dead or damaged cells. Once you eat again your body starts building new fresh cells to replace those dead ones. Secondly, it gives your liver a chance to process out toxins stored in fat cells if it’s not constantly busy processing the food you eat.
Reply/Quote
Do you get used to the not eating part?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I eat maybe 1 meal a day and a light snack somewhere in there... so I probly already do this.

Always try and eat something for breakfast even small as that's suppose to kick in your metobolism
Reply/Quote
One hesitation I have would be from taking eating advice from a guy like Terry Crews. He obviously works out far more than your average person, and what works for him may not translate.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 12:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Do you get used to the not eating part?

(10-24-2017, 02:27 PM)michaelsean Wrote: One hesitation I have would be from taking eating advice from a guy like Terry Crews. He obviously works out far more than your average person, and what works for him may not translate.

You do get used to it, but the first week is rough. A lot of grumbling stomach.

As to taking advice from Terry Crews, he didn’t come up with this type of eating. As I stated in the OP after he mentioned it I did my own research on articles and videos from doctors and nutritionists.

I highly encourage anybody interested in trying this to do their own research and not just take my advice. There are actually several different ways to achieve intermittent fasting. I just posted my routine only.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 02:19 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I eat maybe 1 meal a day and a light snack somewhere in there... so I probly already do this.

Always try and eat something for breakfast even small as that's suppose to kick in your metobolism

The main reason most people that do intermittent fasting skip breakfast, is because it’s easier to do the 16 hours if you’re asleep for 8 of them. I assume you could schedule your 16 hour fast to expire at breakfast, but your last food for the day would be noonish if you eat at 6 am.
Reply/Quote
I do periodic fasts every month or two. 24 to 48 hours. It is also called a reset or purge, I'm told. I follow-up with two or three days of juicing only.

My wife, who is a doctor, worked at a clinic in California a couple of summers ago where the main form of treatment was fasting and reset. They would treat people with anything from alcohol/drug addiction to pre- and post-chemo cancer patients with absolutely amazing results.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:05 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: You do get used to it, but the first week or rough. A lot of grumbling stomach.

As to taking advice from Terry Crews, he didn’t come up with this type of eating. As I stated in the OP after he mentioned it I did my own research on articles and videos from doctors and nutritionists.

I highly encourage anybody interested in trying this to do their own research and not just take my advice. There are actually several different ways to achieve intermittent fasting. I just posted my routine only.

Well I've definitely latched onto the eating between 2:00-10:00 part.  I've got that down cold.   Tongue

I may see what it's like to not eat until 2:00.  Assuming my blood sugar doesn't plummet. 

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well I've definitely latched onto the eating between 2:00-10:00 part.  I've got that down cold.   Tongue

I may see what it's like to not eat until 2:00.  Assuming my blood sugar doesn't plummet. 

A couple of recommendations, 1) drink lots of water and 2) maybe work your way up to 16 hours and start with a 10-12 hour fast for the first few tries.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 04:37 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: A couple of recommendations, 1) drink lots of water and 2) maybe work your way up to 16 hours and start with a 10-12 hour fast for the first few tries.

Will do.

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 03:09 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: The main reason most people that do intermittent fasting skip breakfast, is because it’s easier to do the 16 hours if you’re asleep for 8 of them. I assume you could schedule your 16 hour fast to expire at breakfast, but your last food for the day would be noonish if you eat at 6 am.

Lol well I don't eat till maybe 10 am(normally if I eat breakfast)  so along as I don't eat after 10 pm
Reply/Quote
I ate that way for most of my life, up until my late thirties. Since then I eat 3 square meals a day, and at 45 I'm a fat ass for it. I'd go back to the late day single meal if I could, but it wouldn't be easy to pull off anymore.
Reply/Quote
I am a type 2 diabetic who eats lightly every 4 hours.

Also have a water limit of 64 ounces daily due to heart failure.

Uncertain fasting would enhance my situations, but will ask at next medical appointments.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 01:49 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: I am a type 2 diabetic who eats lightly every 4 hours.

Uncertain fasting would enhance my situations, but will ask at next medical appointments.

I'm going with no.  

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 01:49 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: I am a type 2 diabetic who eats lightly every 4 hours.

(10-25-2017, 10:21 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm going with no.  

I would guess not as well, but I’m not a doctor, so asking yours is absolutely the right thing to do if you have a known medical condition.
Reply/Quote

Not sure if fasting would be good with Type 2 diabetes. I suppose it would depend a lot on the severity. But I suspect juicing would be excellent for you (pending your doctor saying it was okay, of course).
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
That's pretty much me too, I run (er jog) in the AM and have a low calorie G2. Then a mild lunch and normal dinner.

If you're looking to lose weight, have to do it slowly to keep it off. It takes 3 weeks to form a habit. It needs to be a lifetime habit.

I've also read it's not a bad thing to fast even as frequently as once a week (water only) - for the whole day.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2017, 09:05 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I've also read it's not a bad thing to fast even as frequently as once a week (water only) - for the whole day.

I imagine that would apply to totally healthy people only.Many folk have other conditions to consider and should consult medical professionals first.
Reply/Quote
There are mixed opinions on the fasting idea. If you don't mind your body burning muscle as fuel, rather than fats, then sure, it's a great way to lose weight.

However, if you're a strength athlete, work a physical job, or just enjoy doing physically demanding hobbies on the weekend, it might not be the best option. Most of the Sciencey types in the fit communities all swear by the eating 6 small, clean meals throughout the day. It keeps the body in an anabolic state, as opposed to a catabolic state.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I've done this several times, especially in summer when I'm looking to lean out.

Fit all your calories/proteins/carbs/fats into an 8 hour window. It's constantly eating, and then letting it all digest in a 16 hour period.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote