Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview with Dalton
Quote:"I truly believe they want what's best for me, but I understand it's a business, and you know how that goes," Dalton said. "With the first pick, if they take a quarterback like everyone expects, that could trigger something. There's even a scenario where I go back there."

That sentiment was echoed by Bengals coach Zac Taylor. "Everything's on the table, and that's the truth," Taylor said Thursday night. "Given the circumstances going on in the world right now, it doesn't make sense not to keep our options open. [Bringing him back is] something to consider."

Said Dalton: "It's a different year, with different challenges. You never know

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001109789/article/bengals-qb-andy-dalton-at-peace-even-with-uncertain-future

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Read the article and Zac did bring up a point I did not think as much about.. with the Virus.. it could really hinder preparation for Burrow and it might be helpful (with a restructured contract) to bring Andy back as the backup and mentor for Burrow.. I think Plan A is to try to trade him but over cutting him i could see a Plan B of signing him if he is agreeable to a reduced rate to help Burrow especially with the lack of time teams are going to have now with draft picks
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton is a class act. If he does indeed end up elsewhere (which I feel is almost certain) I wish him well. Until of course he's playing us.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:15 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Read the article and Zac did bring up a point I did not think as much about.. with the Virus.. it could really hinder preparation for Burrow and it might be helpful (with a restructured contract) to bring Andy back as the backup and mentor for Burrow.. I think Plan A is to try to trade him  but over cutting him i could see a Plan B of signing him if he is agreeable to a reduced rate to help Burrow especially with the lack of time teams are going to have now with draft picks

I guess I could understand this if there is no trade and would be down if Dalton was.
Reply/Quote
I would certainly hope the Bengals are planning on signing a competent back up veteran QB when they release Dalton. I'd hate to have our season ruined just because our starting QB misses a couple of games. And, obviously, Dalton would be a competent veteran free agent QB. But, unless his family has fallen in love with Cincinnati as their home, I can't imagine Dalton would want to return to the Bengals as a back up.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Andy Dalton is a class act. If he does indeed end up elsewhere (which I feel is almost certain) I wish him well. Until of course he's playing us.

Totally agree.. like Whit also.. wish him all the best against other teams except us... I have been lucky running into Andy a couple times with students.. and he was so great to them.. they really appreciated it
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I would certainly hope the Bengals are planning on signing a competent back up veteran QB when they release Dalton.  I'd hate to have our season ruined just because our starting QB misses a couple of games.  And, obviously, Dalton would be a competent veteran free agent QB.  But, unless his family has fallen in love with Cincinnati as their home, I can't imagine Dalton would want to return to the Bengals as a back up.

You know Fred.. Andy is a strong family man.. if he is not guaranteed at least a strong shot at a starting job.. I could see him staying in Cincy for a year to see what opens up during the season with injuries etc... I think the Bengals might release with him and if he can;t find a good fit.. they could come back and offer him a reduced $$ contract for one year
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:15 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Read the article and Zac did bring up a point I did not think as much about.. with the Virus.. it could really hinder preparation for Burrow and it might be helpful (with a restructured contract) to bring Andy back as the backup and mentor for Burrow.. I think Plan A is to try to trade him  but over cutting him i could see a Plan B of signing him if he is agreeable to a reduced rate to help Burrow especially with the lack of time teams are going to have now with draft picks

Next year will be a better year for QBs in free agency.  This year there were just too many already on the market to require a trade for one.  Management is not known for restructuring someone's contract but they've done a lot of unusual stuff this off season

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:27 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You know Fred.. Andy is a strong family man.. if he is not guaranteed at least a strong shot at a starting job.. I could see him staying in Cincy for a year to see what opens up during the season with injuries etc... I think the Bengals might release with him and if he can;t find a good fit.. they could come back and offer him a reduced $$ contract for one year

He would be more valuable as a back up to the Bengals than to any other team, so they might offer him the most money.  In that case he might do it.

I just think it would seem awkward.  
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:30 PM)pally Wrote: Next year will be a better year for QBs in free agency.  This year there were just too many already on the market to require a trade for one.  

This.

I can't remember a year with so many proven veteran QBs as free agents.  Teams were not interested in giving up anything in trade when they could sign a free agent.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He would be more valuable as a back up to the Bengals than to any other team, so they might offer him the most money.  In that case he might do it.

I would say we went from having worst backup QB in 2019 to best in 2020 if AD stays.

But, I think it is a smoke screen so a team waiting for him to be cut rethinks and trades for him.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He would be more valuable as a back up to the Bengals than to any other team, so they might offer him the most money.  In that case he might do it.

I would think it would be too. 

As a person, AD is beyond reproach.  To ask anyone to just suck it up and accept demotion is asking a lot.  

He's obviously a smart guy and he has to know that as it stands right now, the next phase of his career is as a backup. 

In a normal situation, he could sign as a backup and maybe have a chance to win the stater job.  But that doesn't even seem like a possibility this year.  Teams might very well be hard pressed to get one guy enough reps, let alone two.

For Andy, the end of his run as a starter here could not have happened at a worse time.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

I can't remember a year with so many proven veteran QBs as free agents.  Teams were not interested in giving up anything in trade when they could sign a free agent.

I'm curious as to what backups who know they are backups there are available.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:47 PM)McC Wrote: I'm curious as to what backups who know they are backups there are available.

Joe Flacco, Drew Stanton, Josh McCowan, Trevor Simein, Matt Moore, Mike Glennon, Blake Bortles.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:47 PM)McC Wrote: I'm curious as to what backups who know they are backups there are available.

Matt Moore is available and he played for the Dolphins when Zac was there.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Matt Moore is available and he played for the Dolphins when Zac was there.

Didn't he do a pretty good job for the Chefs when Mahomes was out last year?

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:46 PM)McC Wrote: I would think it would be too. 

As a person, AD is beyond reproach.  To ask anyone to just suck it up and accept demotion is asking a lot.  

He's obviously a smart guy and he has to know that as it stands right now, the next phase of his career is as a backup. 

In a normal situation, he could sign as a backup and maybe have a chance to win the stater job.  But that doesn't even seem like a possibility this year.  Teams might very well be hard pressed to get one guy enough reps, let alone two.

For Andy, the end of his run as a starter here could not have happened at a worse time.

I still think Dalton could beat out any of Stidham, Hoyer or Tyrod Taylor...
Reply/Quote
That’s a great piece! Also, I highly encourage one and all to take a look at Andy Dalton’s backyard workout video; it’s very impressive.

If it were up to me I would do all I could to keep Andy in Cincinnati this season. Between the lack of minicamps, maybe a shorter training camp, and possibly a truncated preseason it makes sense to have an experienced quarterback on the roster.

All signs point to Joe Burrow being a success but Andy Dalton gives the Bengals by far the best safety net in the entire league. Having a good backup quarterback cannot be understated and Andy is above all a team player. He even named his daughter “Finley.”
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:02 PM)Au165 Wrote: Joe Flacco, Drew Stanton, Josh McCowan, Trevor Simein, Matt Moore, Mike Glennon, Blake Bortles.

Is Josh McCowan really still in the league.  He has to be up in his 40's.

Mike Glennon is not bad.  I'd gladly take him as a back up.  
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I still think Dalton could beat out any of Stidham, Hoyer or Tyrod Taylor...

Same here.

I think there will be more QB movement during and right after the draft.  But still not sure if any team will trade for Dalton when they think we will cut him.
Reply/Quote