Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview with Dalton
(04-17-2020, 03:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Is Josh McCowan really still in the league.  He has to be up in his 40's.

Mike Glennon is not bad.  I'd gladly take him as a back up.  

He was the back up in Philly last year, hasn't formally retired. Rumor is he'd be a back up again if teams gave him the same deal he had last year, he got Fridays off to go coach his sons HS football team. 
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Same here.

I think there will be more QB movement during and right after the draft.  But still not sure if any team will trade for Dalton when they think we will cut him.

True, think Taylor and company are doing the right thing by keeping all their options open and trying to do what is best for Andy.

If Andy is willing to negotiate his contract to a reasonable rate, (highly paid backup QB money) keep him.

The other teams that are interested in him were trying to play our bluff, this way they don't get him after he is cut.

They will HAVE to pay for him.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:15 PM)Au165 Wrote: He was the back up in Philly last year, hasn't formally retired. Rumor is he'd be a back up again if teams gave him the same deal he had last year, he got Fridays off to go coach his sons HS football team. 

He's been on half the teams in the league so he probably would be familiar with just about any system anybody would run.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:11 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s a great piece!  Also, I highly encourage one and all to take a look at Andy Dalton’s backyard workout video; it’s very impressive.

If it were up to me I would do all I could to keep Andy in Cincinnati this season.  Between the lack of minicamps, maybe a shorter training camp, and possibly a truncated preseason it makes sense to have an experienced quarterback on the roster.

All signs point to Joe Burrow being a success but Andy Dalton gives the Bengals by far the best safety net in the entire league.  Having a good backup quarterback cannot be understated and Andy is above all a team player.  He even named his daughter “Finley.”

The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I love Pat McAfee’s commentary on the video:

“STRIKE! Red Rocket!”

“STRIKE! Red Rifle!”

“STRIKE! Ginger Tarzan!”

“STRIKE! New England Patriots’ quarterback next year!”

+++

I don’t care who you are; that’s funny right there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:15 PM)Au165 Wrote: He was the back up in Philly last year, hasn't formally retired. Rumor is he'd be a back up again if teams gave him the same deal he had last year, he got Fridays off to go coach his sons HS football team. 

(04-17-2020, 03:20 PM)McC Wrote: He's been on half the teams in the league so he probably would be familiar with just about any system anybody would run.  

He will only be 41 this year.  I thought he was older than that.

He was the back up when Jeff Blake started for the Cards.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:34 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I love Pat McAfee’s commentary on the video:

“STRIKE!  Red Rocket!”

“STRIKE!  Red Rifle!”

“STRIKE!  Ginger Tarzan!”

“STRIKE!  New England Patriots’ quarterback next year!”

+++

I don’t care who you are; that’s funny right there.

Pats the man. I watch him on YouTube all the time.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:15 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Read the article and Zac did bring up a point I did not think as much about.. with the Virus.. it could really hinder preparation for Burrow and it might be helpful (with a restructured contract) to bring Andy back as the backup and mentor for Burrow.. I think Plan A is to try to trade him  but over cutting him i could see a Plan B of signing him if he is agreeable to a reduced rate to help Burrow especially with the lack of time teams are going to have now with draft picks

I don't expect the virus to impact the NFL season at all beyond the draft. The economy is being re-opened as we speak. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Dalton will not stick around the organization that benched him on his birthday at a reduced rate. He would be utterly insane to do that. Andy Dalton wants to be a starter and he deserves to be a starter. If he is let go he will be the starting QB for the Pats most likely. Wait and see I guess.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Pats the man. I watch him on YouTube all the time.

He’s pretty anti-Bengals. Really fed into the whole Burrow doesn’t want to play in Cincinnati narrative like the rest of the ill-informed knuckle heads.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:51 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Dalton will not stick around the organization that benched him on his birthday at a reduced rate. He would be utterly insane to do that. Andy Dalton wants to be a starter and he deserves to be a starter. If he is let go he will be the starting QB for the Pats most likely. Wait and see I guess.

I think the whole benched on his birthday thing is way overblown.  Benched is benched, no matter what day it happens.  Hell, I once worked for a company that gave you your birthday off.  Maybe they were celebrating his birthday by giving him the day off.  We are talking about a grown man in a cutthroat profession, after all.

And it wasn't like they were saying it's all your fault we have this record.  It was way more a matter of we sukk so we wanna look at what we have in Finley. 

The birthday thing was just something the media jumped all over cuz they are as stupid as they are.

So what is he was sat down on his birthday?  Was he sat after the 2 passer rating?  Was he sat after all the awful playoff games or the prime time ineptitude or the three straight intercepted passes against the Pats or throwing the ball out of bounds on fourth down on the last drive of a game?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s pretty anti-Bengals. Really fed into the whole Burrow doesn’t want to play in Cincinnati narrative like the rest of the ill-informed knuckle heads.

I don't really watch him for his Bengals content. He's just an entertaining guy to watch, even though I disagree with him on Burrow.

I will say this: I'm glad the Joe Burrow stuff shined a light on some of the bad things going on with our ownership. While I think it's silly to act like the Bengals are a worse landing spot than say...Miami...the Brown family should be embarrassed that they don't have a practice facility and they should be equally embarrassed by having (easily) the smallest scouting department in the league.

There are no excuses for that, and I'm glad they're getting called out for it, even if the media (obviously) doesn't care about Bengals fans, and this is more about wishing a star player would go to a city they care about.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:51 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Dalton will not stick around the organization that benched him on his birthday at a reduced rate. He would be utterly insane to do that. Andy Dalton wants to be a starter and he deserves to be a starter. If he is let go he will be the starting QB for the Pats most likely. Wait and see I guess.

Paycheck vs no paycheck.  Andy, like all pro athletes, has an ego.  But, he is also a practical man and would do what is best for him and his family even if that means a restructured 1-year contract with the aim of hitting free agency next year.  The odds of Watson, Prescott, and Mahomes all going to free agency is pretty damn slim so Dalton would be on top of the pile

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:28 PM)pally Wrote: Paycheck vs no paycheck.  Andy, like all pro athletes, has an ego.  But, he is also a practical man and would do what is best for him and his family even if that means a restructured 1-year contract with the aim of hitting free agency next year.  The odds of Watson, Prescott, and Mahomes all going to free agency is pretty damn slim so Dalton would be on top of the pile

Fair enough. This is the most logical scenario I've seen for keeping him (or him wanting to stay).

But man...it'd still be pretty awkward.
Reply/Quote
Tin foil hat theory.

They're trying to build a convincing narrative that they'll actually be willing to keep Dalton in order to force a trade.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I still think Dalton could beat out any of Stidham, Hoyer or Tyrod Taylor...

Maybe the Patriots just roll with what they have and tank for Trevor like the Colts took one year to suck for Luck.  Seeing how happy we are that we successfully did blow for Burrow, I could hardly blame them. 
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:45 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: I don't expect the virus to impact the NFL season at all beyond the draft. The economy is being re-opened as we speak. 

Not to get political, but there is a chance opening the economy now sets us back even further.  It's a wait and see sort of situation. 
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 07:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Maybe the Patriots just roll with what they have and tank for Trevor like the Colts took one year to suck for Luck.  Seeing how happy we are that we successfully did blow for Burrow, I could hardly blame them. 

They’re not landing the 1st pick with the best defense in the league.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 07:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They’re not landing the 1st pick with the best defense in the league.

Ida know, anyone as good at winning as them should be able to figure a way to lose.  Maybe they'll trade for Finley. 
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 02:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He would be more valuable as a back up to the Bengals than to any other team, so they might offer him the most money.  In that case he might do it.

I just think it would seem awkward.  
You're probably right. But since Zac and Duke have come out and said they don't need a vet backup because of all the former QBs on staff.

Sounds to me like ZT is going to roll with his boy rocket-arm Ryan Finley as Burrow's back up....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote