Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview with Duke
From Ian Rapoport's Rapsheet podcast. He talks Senior Bowl, Joe Burrow and draft, sings Andy's praises, AJ Green. Starts at the 13:20 mark and runs about 15 minutes

https://westwoodonesports.com/2020/01/rapsheet-friends-matt-patricia-and-duke-tobin-live-from-the-senior-bowl/

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
People made a big deal when Tobin said the Bengals are open to all options at pick one including trades. I think Tobin was just using standard GM talk and getting out the message that he will check out all options. Tobin needs to be on the hot seat we have had way to many misses for a team that builds through the draft. Multiple O-line misses in Ced, Fisher and Price. He hasn’t been able to draft a linebacker or sign a decent one in forever. They need to take a serious look at how they evaluate linebackers. Drafting Ross over Mahomes and Watson was another huge blunder.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 11:51 AM)lone bengal Wrote: People made a big deal when Tobin said the Bengals are open to all options at pick one including trades. I think Tobin was just using standard GM talk and getting out the message that he will check out all options. Tobin needs to be on the hot seat we have had way to many misses for a team that builds through the draft. Multiple O-line misses in Ced, Fisher and Price. He hasn’t been able to draft a linebacker or sign a decent one in forever. They need to take a serious look at how they evaluate linebackers. Drafting Ross over Mahomes and Watson was another huge blunder.

Perhaps even giving too much weight to the combine? Not the bengals...nahhhh...never happens. Whatever
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 11:57 AM)grampahol Wrote: Perhaps even giving too much weight to the combine? Not the bengals...nahhhh...never happens. Whatever

Could be ,some things at the combine are stupid and some I feel are useful.
I like player interviews because you can see if players understand concepts and if there mature individuals. It’s should be a combination of using the combine and a players tape to evaluate them. I hate when players are bad on tape then have a great combine and it raises there draft stock. D.K. Metcalf dropped because he had the slowest 3 cone drill but ended up having a great rookie year.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 12:13 PM)lone Bengal Wrote:  I hate when players are bad on tape then have a great combine and it raises there draft stock.

Lots of guys in college don't have great position coaches.  That can stunt their development and make them look worse on tape.  

Or maybe their skill set would be a better fit a different scheme.

Great workout numbers alone should not make a player rise in the draft, but the number will get teams to take a closer look at certain players and see if they should be rated higher.

Same thing goes with poor workout numbers.  Kiewan Ratliff was the SEC Defensive Player of the Year who also scored tds playing WR and returning punts.  He looked awesome on film, but he just did not have the speed to be a great NFL CB.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 11:07 AM)pally Wrote: From Ian Rapoport's Rapsheet podcast.  He talks Senior Bowl, Joe Burrow and draft, sings Andy's praises, AJ Green.  Starts at the 13:20 mark and runs about 15 minutes

https://westwoodonesports.com/2020/01/rapsheet-friends-matt-patricia-and-duke-tobin-live-from-the-senior-bowl/

He says, "we were very happy with how the coaching staff handled the season. ... We had a chance to win a lot of games."

Ug. 2-14 is 2-14 and ties the franchise record worse season with a head coach who shattered the team's record for worst start by a head coach.

Reply/Quote
Tobin needs to be replaced.but he won't be.
Any other franchise would have jettisoned him years ago.
When was the last time Tobin had a draft that graded
Out to be a A?
HECK EVEN A B.
Nobody has drafted worse in the AFC North
Over the last few years than Tobin
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 01:43 PM)BengalChris Wrote: He says, "we were very happy with how the coaching staff handled the season. ... We had a chance to win a lot of games."

Ug. 2-14 is 2-14 and ties the franchise record worse season with a head coach who shattered the team's record for worst start by a head coach.

Maybe he feels guilty and thinks the coaching staff did ok dealing with the shitty roster he’s built over the last few season lol. Not saying I was impressed with the coaching but I’m willing to give them more than a year and place way more blame on Tobin.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 11:07 AM)pally Wrote: From Ian Rapoport's Rapsheet podcast.  He talks Senior Bowl, Joe Burrow and draft, sings Andy's praises, AJ Green.  Starts at the 13:20 mark and runs about 15 minutes

I used to like Tobin but he seems to have lost his knack in finding talent in the Draft.

Wish we could move on and get someone in here with a better eye.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 02:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I used to like Tobin but he seems to have lost his knack in finding talent in the Draft.

I'm not sure how you can say that when in the past few years we have drafted guys like Joe Mixon, Sam Hubbard, Tyler Boyd, Billings, etc. No one hits on every player....
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 02:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not sure how you can say that when in the past few years we have drafted guys like Joe Mixon, Sam Hubbard, Tyler Boyd, Billings, etc. No one hits on every player....

True, just wish we could hit on some Lineman and LB's for once. Pratt and Jonah might be hits, we will see.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 11:51 AM)lone bengal Wrote: People made a big deal when Tobin said the Bengals are open to all options at pick one including trades. I think Tobin was just using standard GM talk and getting out the message that he will check out all options. Tobin needs to be on the hot seat we have had way to many misses for a team that builds through the draft. Multiple O-line misses in Ced, Fisher and Price. He hasn’t been able to draft a linebacker or sign a decent one in forever. They need to take a serious look at how they evaluate linebackers. Drafting Ross over Mahomes and Watson was another huge blunder.

No one here knows how much control Tobin has over the draft. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 02:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not sure how you can say that when in the past few years we have drafted guys like Joe Mixon, Sam Hubbard, Tyler Boyd, Billings, etc. No one hits on every player....

You don't know how can say that?  Really?

-Cedric Ogbuehi
-Jake Fisher
-Paul Dawson
-John Ross
-Jordan Willis
-Billy Price
-Malik Jefferson
-Drew Sample

These are all top 100 picks just in the last 4 years.  There's been huge misses and busts.

No, no one hits on every player but if you look at our drafting as a whole, really since AJ and Andy, it's been sub-par. And that description is being generous.

I've got to hand it you. I've come across a lot of homers on this board through the years and you might just be king of them all. To dismiss such an obvious statement (Our recent drafting has been poor) is next level. Kudos.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 02:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I used to like Tobin but he seems to have lost his knack in finding talent in the Draft.

well our coaches always helped scout and the quality of offensive coaches has gone way downhill since 2015...  which could be part of it... 

Other is draft is always a crapshoot.
Reply/Quote

Uhm while I can agree about the OL misses.. Not selecting a QB when we had one was not a blunder. Ross maybe so, but who knows who made the call on that pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:10 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You don't know how can say that?  Really?

-Cedric Ogbuehi
-Jake Fisher
-Paul Dawson
-John Ross
-Jordan Willis
-Billy Price
-Malik Jefferson
-Drew Sample

These are all top 100 picks just in the last 4 years.  There's been huge misses and busts.

No, no one hits on every player but if you look at our drafting as a whole, really since AJ and Andy, it's been sub-par. And that description is being generous.

I've got to hand it you. I've come across a lot of homers on this board through the years and you might just be king of them all. To dismiss such an obvious statement (Our recent drafting has been poor) is next level. Kudos.
Agree it's one thing if you draft a player and he's ok but some of these picks have been awful and we've gotten nothing from them. Also I don't give Tobin credit for drafting Mixon he wasn't some hidden gem we all know why he fell it was just a matter if a team was willing to take the PR hit by drafting him. It's too early to tell on Sample but if you draft a TE in round 2 he should be able to be a starter soon not just a blocker. 
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:17 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Uhm while I can agree about the OL misses.. Not selecting a QB when we had one was not a blunder. Ross maybe so, but who knows who made the call on that pick.

We can agree Ross has been a bad pick so far. Maybe I didn’t factor in what goes on behind the scenes. If Tobin told Mike Brown Maholmes is a franchise qb who can elevate the teams play far beyond what Dalton will ever be able to do and Mike said he wanted to keep Dalton and that Tobin wasn’t allowed to draft Mahomes that would be one thing. Versus Tobin not even mentioning that Maholmes and Watson could be franchise type qb’s because he didn’t rate them high. If that was the case and I was an owner I would ask Tobin how he evaluated those players along with the misses he’s had recently, to see if I needed to question wether I need a new gm.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:10 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: You don't know how can say that?  Really?

-Cedric Ogbuehi
-Jake Fisher
-Paul Dawson
-John Ross
-Jordan Willis
-Billy Price
-Malik Jefferson
-Drew Sample

Because you are just remembering the bad picks. And you can count Fisher, but if he hadn't suffered the heart issue, who knows what he would have been.

2019 picks are still to see how they work out, but there are several promising players.

2018- Jessie Bates, Sam Hubbard, Andrew Brown, Auden Tate.

2017- Mixon, Carl Lawson, Ryan Glasgow and everyone's favorite Jake Elliott (he was drafted, so for this conversation he counts)

2016- William Jackson III, Tyler Boyd, Andrew Billings, Clayton Fedj.

2015- admittedly, outside of Uzomah, this draft was a stinker.

So, like I said, the draft is a crapshoot, but don't act like we never draft any good players
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 04:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because you are just remembering the bad picks. And you can count Fisher, but if he hadn't suffered the heart issue, who knows what he would have been.

2019 picks are still to see how they work out, but there are several promising players.

2017- Mixon, Carl Lawson, Ryan Glasgow and everyone's favorite Jake Elliott (he was drafted, so for this conversation he counts)

So, like I said, the draft is a crapshoot, but don't act like we never draft any good players

Hahahah what a list of studs
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 04:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Because you are just remembering the bad picks. And you can count Fisher, but if he hadn't suffered the heart issue, who knows what he would have been.

Yeah, but for a team that relies almost exclusively on the draft the results over the past 5 seasons have been underwhelming. The team has consistently failed with its 1st round picks, and the 2nd/3rd rounds haven’t been much better. The refusal to re-sign quality players that left via FA, combined with subpar drafts, give us the last couple years of suckitude...
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote