Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ireland becomes first country to legalize gay marriage via pop vote
http://www.politico.eu/article/ireland-is-catholic-on-gay-marriage/?cmpid=sf

The predominantly Roman Catholic country saw the yeses outnumber the noes roughly 2 to 1.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-23-2015, 12:16 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: http://www.politico.eu/article/ireland-is-catholic-on-gay-marriage/?cmpid=sf

The predominantly Roman Catholic country saw the yeses outnumber the noes roughly 2 to 1.

[Image: 4078374_o.gif]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Good job to Ireland. I wonder what the results would be if the United States had a popular vote on it. I'd like to think that the people of this country are civilized enough to make it legal, but there are still an awful lot of people who are really against equality.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(05-23-2015, 12:28 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Good job to Ireland.  I wonder what the results would be if the United States had a popular vote on it.  I'd like to think that the people of this country are civilized enough to make it legal, but there are still an awful lot of people who are really against equality.

And in the US the "religious" folks would be out campaigning about the sin of homosexuality.

Luckily Ireland isn't very religious....heeeyyy....wait a minute!
(05-23-2015, 12:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: And in the US the "religious" folks would be out campaigning about the sin of homosexuality.

They are too busy with the Duggars right now... it would be the perfect time for us to slip it in.
[Image: bey.gif]
(05-23-2015, 12:33 PM)Steeler Eater Wrote: They are too busy with the Duggars right now... it would be the perfect time for us to slip it in.

[Image: funny_gif_Jim_Carrey_laughing.gif]
upload a picture
(05-23-2015, 12:28 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Good job to Ireland.  I wonder what the results would be if the United States had a popular vote on it.  I'd like to think that the people of this country are civilized enough to make it legal, but there are still an awful lot of people who are really against equality.

I'm inclined to agree. There are certainly a lot of people who are against it, but I still think it's a minority.

Unfortunately it's a minority with a really big megaphone.
(05-23-2015, 01:09 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I'm inclined to agree. There are certainly a lot of people who are against it, but I still think it's a minority.

Unfortunately it's a minority with a really big megaphone.

They also like to use false equivalencies and fallacious slipper slope arguments to make the rank and file rubes think that same-sex marriage is somehow a threat to them and/or the country.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Makes sense

[Image: lucky_leprachaun.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

It shouldn't be too hard to calculate pretty close, as to what the National results would look like. Most every State has had that issue on the ballot, at some point. Just add the yeas and nays from each state.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-23-2015, 02:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It shouldn't be too hard to calculate pretty close, as to what the National results would look like.  Most every State has had that issue on the ballot, at some point.  Just add the yeas and nays from each state.

Not sure if it's that simple. I'm not sure how many, if any, states have taken it to a vote. I believe most have been determined in the court room and not the ballot box.

I could be wrong.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

30 states voted against gay marriage at some point in time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_constitutional_amendments_banning_same-sex_unions_by_type

26 have either been ruled unconstitutional or are pending an appeal to a ruling. Most votes were done between 2004-2006 when gay marriage support was under 50%.

13 states have approved gay marriage in the legislature and 3 by popular vote. This occurred between 2009-2012. Recent polls have the support for gay marriage at 60% or so.

(05-23-2015, 03:43 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: 30 states voted against gay marriage at some point in time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_constitutional_amendments_banning_same-sex_unions_by_type

26 have either been ruled unconstitutional or are pending an appeal to a ruling. Most votes were done between 2004-2006 when gay marriage support was under 50%.

13 states have approved gay marriage in the legislature and 3 by popular vote. This occurred between 2009-2012. Recent polls have the support for gay marriage at 60% or so.

Nothing wrong at all with this... Actually interesting to see the change in opinion. Maybe they can out an end to gov marriage licenses.

If they don't do That then leaving it to the states is just a slower process but as opinions change so will this...
(05-23-2015, 04:51 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Nothing wrong at all with this... Actually interesting to see the change in opinion.  Maybe they can out an end to gov marriage licenses.    

If they don't do That then leaving it to the states is just a slower process but as opinions change so will this...

Doubtful that will ever happen. I used to agree with the whole "just have the gov't only recognize civil unions between two adults" idea, I have realized it's really pointless. You're just changing the name because a few get butthurt over it.

It's easier to just allow gay marriage. It's also only 1 more month or so until it's legal in all 50 states.

There are a lot of people that say that they want the government out of marriage now. This isn't me trying to be a smartass,it's genuine curiosity: is that a view that many people have held in the past or is it just a thing that people are saying because they're just that against gay marriage? I had never even heard the suggestion until it became clear that all gays would soon have the right to marry.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(05-23-2015, 04:59 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Doubtful that will ever happen. I used to agree with the whole "just have the gov't only recognize civil unions between two adults" idea, I have realized it's really pointless. You're just changing the name because a few get butthurt over it.

It's easier to just allow gay marriage. It's also only 1 more month or so until it's legal in all 50 states.

I'm not so sure that happens. And if it does happen it will just create problems. Just let the state's slowly migrate to allowing it..
(05-23-2015, 12:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: And in the US the "religious" folks would be out campaigning about the sin of homosexuality.

Actually the Catholic church is becoming very tolerant in general IMO these days. In the good ol' USA it's the Evangelical Christian Right that holds most of the opposition to gay marriage, and there is a lot of them. But I do believe social liberals, and moderates, would definitely out vote them in a general election on the issue. I even think those slightly right of center would vote yes, just so they wouldn't look intolerant on the issue.
(05-23-2015, 03:43 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: 30 states voted against gay marriage at some point in time.

I read a couple of articles that also showed that 61% figure. However, I always question the validity of polling data, as it really can be manipulated to show whatever the poll taker wants it to show. I.e. If you ask people coming out of a Starbucks their opinion on gay marriage, it will likely be much different than if you ask people coming out of the local Quality Farm and Fleet store.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(05-23-2015, 05:12 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I'm not so sure that happens.   And if it does happen it will just create problems.   Just let the state's slowly migrate to allowing it..

You're not too sure the Supreme Court will declare the bans unconstitutional? If it happens it'll do the opposite of create of problems, really, as it will solve a dozen problems at once.

(05-23-2015, 05:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I read a couple of articles that also showed that 61% figure.  However, I always question the validity of polling data, as it really can be manipulated to show whatever the poll taker wants it to show.  I.e. If you ask people coming out of a Starbucks their opinion on gay marriage, it will likely be much different than if you ask people coming out of the local Quality Farm and Fleet store.

I sure WashPo and ABC's methods are pretty solid.

Gallup's too.

Apparently both released polls recently that show support is at 60% and 61%.