Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irony alert at level red!
Please, deprive others of their constitutional rights, but don't make we wear a clear backpack!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/parkland-students-protest-clear-backpacks_us_5ac3c316e4b09712fec54607

Some choice quotes;

Quote:Starting off the last quarter of senior year right, with a good ol’ violation of privacy!

Muh right to privacy is important, your Constitutional rights not so much! BTW this is the same "give us an inch and we'll take a mile" person.

Another gem from this kid.

Quote:You know, I feel super safe now that the whole school can see my collection of tampons and pens.

Wait, you wanted to feel safe, you just didn't want it to come at the expense of your perceived rights?

Quote:Thousands of clear backpacks and lanyards were distributed today at douglas. They’re just an illusion of security.

But an "assault weapons" ban, that's real security!

Quote:“I hate the backpacks, and I think they solve nothing,” Alyssa Goldfarb, a 16-year-old sophomore, told Vice News. “It’s more of a way of the county saying, ‘Hey, we’re doing something.’”

But an "assault weapons" ban, that's not a way of saying 'Hey, we're doing something'"?

From Emma Gonzalez;

Quote:The people with the power to make changes keep making the wrong changes; no matter how much we tell them to listen to us there will always be a backpack manufacturer saying, "Hey they need clear backpacks, we got you covered,"...

Wait, you wanted security measures taken, right?

Quote:My new backpack is almost as transparent as the NRA’s agenda.

I feel sooo safe now.

As much as I appreciate the effort we as a country need to focus on the real issue instead of turning our schools into prisons.

Wait, you feel less safe with the clear backpacks? A clear backpack means your school is a prison?

Quote:This is such a joke. Clear backpacks aren’t going to do ANYTHING, we NEED gun control.

What "gun control" is going to prevent a school shooting aside from mass confiscation? I have been assured by our more liberal (although some of them don't seem to be able to differentiate between a liberal or conservative position) that confiscation is not a goal of the gun control advocates.

To summarize, removing the Constitutional rights of our citizens, yes please! Making a kid use a clear back pack, turns school into prison and changes nothing!
Exactly what did they think a school district can do? They can get more security, but that doesn’t happen over night for an entire district. To be honest, clear backpacks make sense if you are demanding something be done now, because sorry, the district can’t outlaw guns
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Once again, I cannot fault the kids. I fault the adults. Many of these kids have been through a traumatic experience and were encouraged to be spokesmen on this matter. They are kids.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(04-03-2018, 08:57 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Exactly what did they think a school district can do?  They can get more security, but that doesn’t happen over night for an entire district. To be honest, clear backpacks make sense if you are demanding something be done now, because sorry, the district can’t outlaw guns

Exactly correct.  I suppose the concept of not being able to have both liberty and security in equal measure is a college level course.

(04-03-2018, 08:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Once again, I cannot fault the kids. I fault the adults. Many of these kids have been through a traumatic experience and were encouraged to be spokesmen on this matter. They are kids.

I don't disagree.  I completely blame the adults who chose to lionize these kids and raise their opinions to the level of unarguable fact.  We all remember being 16-18.  We didn't know what we didn't know.  These kids were exploited IMO.
These backpacks were one suggestion made in our school district. The head of security said his own reservation was the students complaining.  The President of the school board said that's too bad because if they decide to go with that they will no matter what the students want.

As to the hypocrisy: They are speaking out against something they do not want....just like the gun owners are doing.  (The students are at least talking about something that might actually happen vs the government taking away all guns.) But the students have no standing and will have to live with it unlike gun owners that have over 200 years of standing on their right to own a gun.

Again, just a damn shame that so many lawful gun owners are so intimidated by some students speaking out.  Laughable too.   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
One student: Its unfair to punish all students for the actions of one nutty one.

No, too easy.
(04-03-2018, 10:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: These backpacks were one suggestion made in our school district. The head of security said his own reservation was the students complaining.  The President of the school board said that's too bad because if they decide to go with that they will no matter what the students want.

You mean they're getting their security at the sake of their personal liberty just like they wanted.  You know the old saying, be careful what you wish for.

Quote:As to the hypocrisy: They are speaking out against something they do not want....just like the gun owners are doing.  (The students are at least talking about something that might actually happen vs the government taking away all guns.) But the students have no standing and will have to live with it unlike gun owners that have over 200 years of standing on their right to own a gun.

Except they asked for this.  You are right though, the freedom to have an opaque backpack is not guaranteed by our Constitution, unlike the right to own firearms.

Quote:Again, just a damn shame that so many lawful gun owners are so intimidated by some students speaking out.  Laughable too.   Smirk

Sorry Charlie, it's not intimidation to point out the glaring logical inconsistencies in the arguments of teenagers.  Maybe this problem should have been considered before making them the bearers of waving the bloody shirt?  I feel bad for these kids, they've been used by people who don't care about them beyond the ability to use them to push an agenda.
I'm just going to assume this regulation is being pushed by someone who owns a lot of stock in a company that makes clear backpacks.
(04-03-2018, 11:06 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You mean they're getting their security at the sake of their personal liberty just like they wanted.  You know the old saying, be careful what you wish for.

Except they asked for this.  You are right though, the freedom to have an opaque backpack is not guaranteed by our Constitution, unlike the right to own firearms.

Sorry Charlie, it's not intimidation to point out the glaring logical inconsistencies in the arguments of teenagers.  Maybe this problem should have been considered before making them the bearers of waving the bloody shirt?  I feel bad for these kids, they've been used by people who don't care about them beyond the ability to use them to push an agenda.

Oh boohoo.  You "feel bad" for the wrong reasons, but guns are a singularly important issue for you so you'll keep attacking students and making up your own defense for your delusions about them.  Good for you.

Rock On
(04-03-2018, 11:16 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh boohoo.  You "feel bad" for the wrong reasons

What exactly are the "wrong reasons"?

Quote:but guns are a singularly important issue for you so you'll keep attacking students and making up your own defense for your delusions about them.  Good for you.

No, my Constitutional rights are important to me.  None of them are more, or less, important than the others.  I'm sorry if you see the Constitution as an a la cart menu, but I don't and neither did the founders of our country.  Thank you for my daily dose of sanctimony though, I was getting deficient.

Quote:Rock On

Smirk
(04-03-2018, 11:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm just going to assume this regulation is being pushed by someone who owns a lot of stock in a company that makes clear backpacks.

Shouldn't we treat these students like it was suggested we treat the Nazi's in America?  Just ignore them and they'll go away.  Right? Mellow
(04-04-2018, 09:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: Shouldn't we treat these students like it was suggested we treat the Nazi's in America?  Just ignore them and they'll go away.  Right? Mellow

Did the neo-Nazis stage a huge rally in Washington DC attended by numerous Democratic members of Congress?
(04-04-2018, 10:45 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Did the neo-Nazis stage a huge rally in Washington DC attended by numerous Democratic members of Congress?

Nah.  They just marched through a town with tiki torches chanting and ran over a girl and killed her and (some) were described as "nice people" by the POTUS. For one example.

"Ignore them"

Mellow
(04-04-2018, 10:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: Nah.  They just marched through a town with tiki torches chanting and ran over a girl and killed her and (some) were described as "nice people" by the POTUS.  For one example.

"Ignore them"

Mellow

Haha, you can't even admit you made an inane comparison.  Neo-nazis are a minuscule percentage of our population.  They have zero outside support, receive zero outside funding from significant donors and receive zero positive media attention.  Yet you feel this is an apt comparisons to the Parkland kids and the anti-gun movement?  Even by your standards this is a silly argument.  You stepped in it and made a horrible argument, just own it like a man and we'll move on. 
(04-04-2018, 10:55 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Haha, you can't even admit you made an inane comparison.  Neo-nazis are a minuscule percentage of our population.  They have zero outside support, receive zero outside funding from significant donors and receive zero positive media attention.  Yet you feel this is an apt comparisons to the Parkland kids and the anti-gun movement?  Even by your standards this is a silly argument.  You stepped in it and made a horrible argument, just own it like a man and we'll move on. 

Shocked

Hilarious

Oh, boohoo...take your own advice and "ignore them."  "Stop bring attention to them."  "They'll go away."

And in the end...just like always...no one will take your guns or infringe on your right to own them.

Or make more threads about students using their first amendment right and how it offends you.  

Rock On
(04-04-2018, 10:59 AM)GMDino Wrote: Shocked

Hilarious

Oh, boohoo...take your own advice and "ignore them."  "Stop bring attention to them."  "They'll go away."

Oh they'll go away eventually, and the topic of this thread is why.  It saddens me you don't grasp this.

Quote:And in the end...just like always...no one will take your guns or infringe on your right to own them.

Except I live in a state in which that is happening.

Quote:Or make more threads about students using their first amendment right and how it offends you.  

Poor sad GMDino, you don't even get the premise of the thread do you?  No one is complaining about them exercising their first amendment rights.  This should have been apparent when I tore your argument apart in post #7.  What is being pointed out is that these kids have railed against guns because they don't feel safe.  They want to restrict the constitutional rights of others so they can feel safe and secure.  But if you give them clear backpacks as a safety measure they get super upset and claim they are being treated like prisoners.  A logically inconsistent argument is a useless argument.  Please return to the thread topic because this current conversation is making me embarrassed for you.
(04-04-2018, 11:04 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Oh they'll go away eventually, and the topic of this thread is why.  It saddens me you don't grasp this.

Except I live in a state in which that is happening.

Poor sad GMDino, you don't even get the premise of the thread do you?  No one is complaining about them exercising their first amendment rights.  This should have been apparent when I tore your argument apart in post #7.  What is being pointed out is that these kids have railed against guns because they don't feel safe.  They want to restrict the constitutional rights of others so they can feel safe and secure.  But if you give them clear backpacks as a safety measure they get super upset and claim they are being treated like prisoners.  A logically inconsistent argument is a useless argument.  Please return to the thread topic because this current conversation is making me embarrassed for you.

ThumbsUp
You have very little right to privacy at school. Sorry, kids.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Here's a very choice quote that I believe sums up this whole movement.

Quote:“At the end of the day, if it doesn’t make us feel safer, what’s the point?” Bonczek said. “It’s just a distraction.”

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/ne97xz/parkland-students-hate-the-smelly-clear-backpacks-they-have-to-wear-for-security-now

I need to "feel safer"? How exactly are we going to legislate feelings? We all know that feeling are not ubiquitous, what makes one person feel unsafe may not faze another person at all. This whole movement has been about needing to feel safe. Guess what, you're not safe and you never were. You were in more danger, i.e. less "safe", when you were driven to school in the morning and when you were driven home. But you didn't "feel" unsafe therefore you were. Clear backpacks are an obvious safety measure, of dubious use to be sure, but they serve a clear (no pun intended) purpose. If they made one student feel safer are they not worth it? How many kids need to feel safer for a safety measure to be deemed effective?