Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irony alert at level red!
(04-04-2018, 11:18 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: You have very little right to privacy at school. Sorry, kids.

Exactly.  Random locker searches, random backpack searches are just a few of the things they have to submit to.

I get them complaining in that no one snuck a gun into the school so they want to focus on the guns outside of the school, but in the end the school will do what it wants.

I just giggle at the 2A people who have to go after every little thing these students do or say because they are so afraid of something that is not going to happen.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Pretty much sums up the wackos focused more on attacking than talking.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/mainstream-pundits-apologize-fringe-sites-cash-attacking-parkland-teens-n862191

Quote:One of the most notorious internet purveyors of conspiracy theories and debunked science has launched an entire website dedicated to attacking a single person: David Hogg, who survived the school shooting in Parkland, Florida.

The people behind Natural News, who publish stories about the dangers of tap water and vaccinations, launched a new hub eight days ago called HoggWatch.com. The website is populated almost entirely with content from Natural News founder Mike Adams and senior writer J.D. Heyes.

Fringe websites have ridiculed the surviving teens from February’s shooting in Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School as they’ve spurred nationwide anti-gun protests in the last month. Hogg and classmate Emma Gonzalez have been the subject of high-profile conspiracy theories in the aftermath of the shooting — some even pushed by celebrities like Roseanne Barr and Frank Stallone.

Criticism of Parkland students has been met with its own counterattacks, including from the students themselves. Fox News host Laura Ingraham lost several major advertisers and apologizedafter attacking Hogg. But on the fringe parts of the internet, attacking Hogg remains a popular — if not lucrative — endeavor. On Monday, Hoggwatch pushed users to Natural News’ sprawling network of sites, where Adams sells dietary supplements, water defluoridation devices and doomsday preparation materials.

An article that was crossposted on both HoggWatch and Natural News received several call-outs on Monday from Alex Jones, whose InfoWars website also makes money from similar ads. Gateway Pundit, whose articles appear on Hoggwatch, have devoted much of their website’s coverage to criticizing Hogg’s media appearances since the shooting.
(04-04-2018, 11:35 AM)GMDino Wrote: Exactly.  Random locker searches, random backpack searches are just a few of the things they have to submit to.

I get them complaining in that no one snuck a gun into the school so they want to focus on the guns outside of the school, but in the end the school will do what it wants.

I just giggle at the 2A people who have to go after every little thing these students do or say because they are so afraid of something that is not going to happen.

Well that's a pretty stupid position to take.  Prior to the guy shooting up their school, nobody shot up their school so according to that logic, only schools that have been shot up should worry about being shot up.  

The school can't help them with the legality of rifles so they do what they can.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Bunch of high school kids have the NRA squirting all over themselves.

I love it.
(04-04-2018, 11:49 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well that's a pretty stupid position to take.  Prior to the guy shooting up their school, nobody shot up their school so according to that logic, only schools that have been shot up should worry about being shot up.  

Also, I believe that Cruz did sneak the gun into the school.  He certainly wasn't marching around with it on display prior to the shooting.  GM is in distraction mode right now because he realizes the thread's premise is correct and it exposes the weakness in these kid's position.  Again, attacking the position, not the people.
These kids are mad about the clear backpacks because they believe it is not addressing the problem properly.

Some people think differently.

Only irony I see is people who claim constitutional rights are immportant loving this clear backpack policy just because it punishes the people who disagree with them. Kind of proves how much they really care about the rights of anyone but themselves.
(04-04-2018, 11:49 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well that's a pretty stupid position to take.  Prior to the guy shooting up their school, nobody shot up their school so according to that logic, only schools that have been shot up should worry about being shot up.  

The school can't help them with the legality of rifles so they do what they can.

I think (I could be wrong...I'm sure someone will tell me  Smirk ) most of the school shootings were not guns that were snuck into the school by a shooter.

And again, I am for the policy in principle, I just get what they mean when they say it doesn't make them any safer if we aren't going to talk about the guns outside of the school too.
(04-04-2018, 11:51 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Also, I believe that Cruz did sneak the gun into the school.  He certainly wasn't marching around with it on display prior to the shooting.  GM is in distraction mode right now because he realizes the thread's premise is correct and it exposes the weakness in these kid's position.  Again, attacking the position, not the people.

Yawn
I heard that statement before about turning schools into prisons. The reality is that is probably what needs to happen to drastically reduce if not eliminate school shootings, in terms of having a prison like security system in place in preventing someone with a gun from entering a school.

Now I am in favor of banning military grade weapons from public sale, while making the ability to buy guns harder than it is to buy alcohol and to get a drivers license. Our laws are way to lax on buying guns overall. But even that wont stop school shootings right now, nor will clear school bags unless they want students to wear clear plastic clothes so they dont hide a gun under a shirt.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(04-03-2018, 11:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm just going to assume this regulation is being pushed by someone who owns a lot of stock in a company that makes clear backpacks.

Big backpack has their fingers in everything.  And of course we all know what plastic is made from.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Both the right to privacy and the individual right (rather than the collective right) to bear arms are based on interpretations of the Constitution that are not textualist/originalist. Watching this dichotomy play out is rather interesting.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(04-04-2018, 11:35 AM)GMDino Wrote: Exactly.  Random locker searches, random backpack searches are just a few of the things they have to submit to.

I get not wanting others to see what's in their bag if it's "embarrassing" (tampons etc) and in general it's a dumb policy to force them to have these backpacks, but it's school. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(04-04-2018, 02:23 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I get not wanting others to see what's in their bag if it's "embarrassing" (tampons etc) and in general it's a dumb policy to force them to have these backpacks, but it's school. 

It's also any NFL or MLB stadium...but school is different.
(04-04-2018, 02:37 PM)GMDino Wrote: It's also any NFL or MLB stadium...but school is different.

Right, stadiums are private property.  Oy, if I had a nickel for every time some fan tried to bring a knife into the stadium where I worked while he smugly told me "City law allows me to carry this, know the law" and I had to inform him that he is entering private property...well, I'd have like 25 cents or so.  Anyways, this was before the clear bag days.
(04-04-2018, 02:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right, stadiums are private property.  Oy, if I had a nickel for every time some fan tried to bring a knife into the stadium where I worked while he smugly told me "City law allows me to carry this, know the law" and I had to inform him that he is entering private property...well, I'd have like 25 cents or so.  Anyways, this was before the clear bag days.

In reality, and this getting off topic (I think), we need more civics classes.  A better understanding of rights and laws and limitations would go a long way in this country.
(04-04-2018, 02:50 PM)GMDino Wrote: In reality, and this getting off topic (I think), we need more civics classes.  A better understanding of rights and laws and limitations would go a long way in this country.

I wouldn't mind people being wrong about things if they weren't so damn smug they were right BEFORE saying something so wrong.  That's why I'm so humble.
(04-04-2018, 04:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I wouldn't mind people being wrong about things if they weren't so damn smug they were right BEFORE saying something so wrong.  That's why I'm so humble.

I don't mind either one if they can admit it.
(04-04-2018, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: These kids are mad about the clear backpacks because they believe it is not addressing the problem properly.

Some people think differently.

Only irony I see is people who claim constitutional rights are immportant loving this clear backpack policy just because it punishes the people who disagree with them. Kind of proves how much they really care about the rights of anyone but themselves.

I've been assured you don't deliberately state falsehoods in an attempt to twist the arguments being made.  That being the case I'll expect you to provide some proof for the claim that anyone is "loving this clear backpack rule" because it "punishes people who disagree with 'them'".  If you are not able to find such a post then I'll expect you'll be apologizing for mistakenly (deliberately? no, not possible) misstating the sentiments of people in this thread.  I'm also 100% confident that you'll actually do this without trying to distract or obfuscate in any way.
Idk, I think the clear backpack thing is an idea that is way overdue. Not only will it make it tougher to smuggle firearms or knives into a school, but also drugs and other sorts of contraband.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Just for the sake of thoroughness, they should also mandate a clear and transparent clothing policy. You know, to ensure that nobody is hiding weapons in or underneath their clothing.