Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Irv Smith Starting Tight End
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/zac-taylor-names-irv-smith-jr-starting-tight-end-hes-a-good-weapon-for-us

So who thinks this is writ and who thinks it's intended as smokescreen? maybe a little of both?
Reply/Quote
As of right now he is TE1. Where he is in Sept is anybody guess

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Think he's just being honest. Even if we draft a tight end I doubt they take the reins for their first year.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 11:38 AM)pally Wrote: Where he is in Sept is anybody guess

Fingers crossed it isn’t IR…
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 11:38 AM)pally Wrote: As of right now he is TE1.  Where he is in Sept is anybody guess

Agreed.
Right now, it's Smith, Sample, and Asiasi.
Smith makes sense to be the starter.
A rookie draft pick could earn the starter spot, but it can be a learning curve for rookies to do well at TE, so a rookie might be TE2 (or even TE3) initially.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 11:24 AM)felis tigris Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/zac-taylor-names-irv-smith-jr-starting-tight-end-hes-a-good-weapon-for-us

So who thinks this is writ and who thinks it's intended as smokescreen?  maybe a little of both?

Who else would it be?? We have worst TE room in league right now.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 12:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Who else would it be?? We have worst TE room in league right now.

Agreed - The Bengals appear to me to be ready to add a Rookie to the Group with one of their first 3 picks.

Irv Smith's injury history should make the Bengals want to add to the Tight End room via the Draft.

Smith is only 24 years old, so he could be due a healthy stretch given his injuries were not overly serious. (torn meniscus/ankle)

During Smith's rookie season (with 16 game appearances and 6 starts) he had 36 catches for 311 yards and 2 TDs.

Last year Hayden Hurst had 52 catches for 414 yards and 2 touchdowns in 13 starts.

I think that a healthy Irv Smith can put up around 450 to 500 yards in 2023 while any rookie the Bengals take develops. If the Bengals take one of the first round Tight Ends then that rookie may take more & more playing time away from Irv as the season progresses.

I expect the Bengals will get this right and that we will see good Production from the Tight End Group in 2023 especially with Burrow throwing to them.
Reply/Quote
If he’s TE1 then the draft didn’t go now we wanted it to. There are at least 5 TEs I’d project to start over him just by them being on the roster
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 12:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed.
A rookie draft pick could earn the starter spot, but it can be a learning curve for rookies to do well at TE, so a rookie might be TE2 (or even TE3) initially.

Absolutely. 

Right now, Smith is the starting TE. Mixon is RB1. And Jonah is the starting RT. The draft could change that. As could releases, cuts, and trades.

Outside of Mayer, I am not sure any TE we draft walks into TE1. Kincaid has questionable blocking skills. Washington has questionable receiving skills. Kraft comes from a small school. Musgrave is coming off an injury. LaPorta is a touch undersized and was more explosive at the combine than on tape, though there is some wiggle & his QB didn't help him much. Strange & Kuntz are raw. Even if they end up winning TE1 in camp, they still have to prove it first. 

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 01:48 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Absolutely. 

Right now, Smith is the starting TE. Mixon is RB1. And Jonah is the starting RT. The draft could change that. As could releases, cuts, and trades.

Outside of Mayer, I am not sure any TE we draft walks into TE1. Kincaid has questionable blocking skills. Washington has questionable receiving skills. Kraft comes from a small school. Musgrave is coming off an injury. LaPorta is a touch undersized and was more explosive at the combine than on tape, though there is some wiggle & his QB didn't help him much. Strange & Kuntz are raw. Even if they end up winning TE1 in camp, they still have to prove it first. 

Today it almost sounded like Carman was RT per Zac.

On Smith:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/17/zac-taylor-we-envision-irv-smith-jr-filling-the-role-hayden-hurst-had-for-us/
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 11:38 AM)pally Wrote: As of right now he is TE1. Where he is in Sept is anybody guess

(04-17-2023, 12:31 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Agreed.

(04-17-2023, 12:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Who else would it be?? We have worst TE room in league right now.

I think they are setting up the draft for the BPA at a number of positions and not necessarily a starter this year. RT is sure not solidified after next year. TE for damn sure not solidified after next year or CB or RB. So I think it’s more about a starter next year. But I’m with those wanting a TE ( provided its Mayer, Kincaid, or Washington ) at #28 and again BPA at second round at RT,RB, or CB. If we can get one of those TE’s I mentioned at 1 and the tackle Bergeron of RB Charbonnet at 2 I’m golden. Of course Forbes at 1 and La Porta at 2 works too. But no way am I comfortable with our TE room as it is with counting on Sample and Smith
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Bengals started 2 TEs the first 2 weeks of the season until injuries changed it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 12:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Who else would it be?? We have worst TE room in league right now.

(04-17-2023, 01:34 PM)depthchart Wrote: .

Agreed - The Bengals appear to me to be ready to add a Rookie to the Group with one of their first 3 picks.

Irv Smith's injury history should make the Bengals want to add to the Tight End room via the Draft.

Smith is only 24 years old, so he could be due a healthy stretch given his injuries were not overly serious. (torn meniscus/ankle)

During Smith's rookie season (with 16 game appearances and 6 starts) he had 36 catches for 311 yards and 2 TDs.

Last year Hayden Hurst had 52 catches for 414 yards and 2 touchdowns in 13 starts.

I think that a healthy Irv Smith can put up around 450 to 500 yards in 2023 while any rookie the Bengals take develops. If the Bengals take one of the first round Tight Ends then that rookie may take more & more playing time away from Irv as the season progresses.

I expect the Bengals will get this right and that we will see good Production from the Tight End Group in 2023 especially with Burrow throwing to them.

Agree with you two and that's why the OP confused me because who else would it be? 

Not only do we not have a solid starter, we don't even have too many solid options.

Hoping we draft Mayer.

(04-17-2023, 01:48 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Absolutely. 

Exactly, and Kincaid seems like more of a slot guy. 

Depth charts right now are meaningless and could actually be just a smokescreen to throw teams off of our draft intentions.

We're in win-now mode and Mayer is the most well-rounded tight end in the class. 

Mixon's gone once we find a replacement, IMCO, and I'm hoping it's Zeke!
(04-17-2023, 03:38 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Today it almost sounded like Carman was RT per Zac.

On Smith:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/17/zac-taylor-we-envision-irv-smith-jr-filling-the-role-hayden-hurst-had-for-us/

Like I said above, it's all smoke and mirrors right now but, if we had to make a decision right now, I think Carman starts at RT.
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 03:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think they are setting up the draft for the BPA at a number of positions and not necessarily a starter this year. RT is sure not solidified after next year. TE for damn sure not solidified after next year or CB or RB. So I think it’s more about a starter next year. But I’m with those wanting a TE ( provided its Mayer, Kincaid, or Washington ) at #28 and again BPA at second round at RT,RB, or CB. If we can get one of those TE’s I mentioned at 1 and the tackle Bergeron of RB Charbonnet at 2 I’m golden. Of course Forbes at 1 and La Porta at 2 works too. But no way am I comfortable with our TE room as it is with counting on Sample and Smith

That seems to be their strategy, at least in the Taylor regime.
That's why I think it's difficult to predict the draft this year - They have starters set, for a stopgap if anything.
They do have quite a few big guys hitting FA after this year though:
- Jonah Williams, OT
- Tee Higgins, WR (although extension is rumored in the works)
- Tyler Boyd, WR
- DJ Reader, NT
- Logan Wilson, LB
- Chidobe Awuzie, CB
- Irv Smith, TE

Toss in La'el Collins and Joe Mixon as potential cut candidates next year if not this year.

Bengals have tons of ways they can go with these early picks.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
One thing Zac has not been prone to do (vs his predecessor) is drowned every move and any player in hyperbole and/or misdirection. If he says Irv's the starting TE, so be it. I think they'll draft another, but right now, it's Irv. No need to question that until you see what they do with the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 04:57 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: One thing Zac has not been prone to do (vs his predecessor) is drowned every move and any player in hyperbole and/or misdirection. If he says Irv's the starting TE, so be it. I think they'll draft another, but right now, it's Irv. No need to question that until you see what they do with the draft.

Maybe some do realize it but money drives roster decisions exceedingly more than I ever imagined. Even who starts.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 04:57 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: One thing Zac has not been prone to do (vs his predecessor) is drowned every move and any player in hyperbole and/or misdirection. If he says Irv's the starting TE, so be it. I think they'll draft another, but right now, it's Irv. No need to question that until you see what they do with the draft.

Maybe some do realize it but money drives roster decisions exceedingly more than I ever imagined. Even who starts.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 05:19 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Maybe some do realize it but money drives roster decisions exceedingly more than I ever imagined. Even who starts.

NO Doubt!

Money does affect roster decisions.  The Bengals in particular, aren't going to hand out big paychecks for someone they don't value.

I think Irv is an insurance policy (as is Mixon) depending on what they get in the draft.  Truth told, if they don't draft a TE or a RB, I'm OK with where we're at right now.  We have some blocking TEs that can catch a pass every once in a while.  But, with Chase, TB and Higgins, having a stud TE would be more of a luxury.  Same with a stud RB.  Would love to have both.  But, we can get where we need to go with what we have right now.
Reply/Quote

IDK about that. There are some ugly TE rooms around the NFL.

At least we can say we have the third and fourth TE drafted from the 2019 draft and the second TE drafted from the 2020 draft.
Reply/Quote