Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Irv Smith a Bengal
[Image: 592fec15128f6cff4e761bf37690d98e.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice pickup. I would rather have Smith than waste a 1st round pick on a TE. I think this opens up the draft a little more for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
At least we have a vet now. I don't see this preventing the team from drafting a TE in the first, if that's how things fall.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
They love signing players when most people are in bed.

Great signing though! This makes TE in the first not absolutely required (but still probably expected at this point).
Reply/Quote
Missed 26 of the last 34 games, so I am not expecting much, but still a solid move. At the very least he at prevents the Bengals from absolutely needing 2 TEs in the draft, which wouldn't be a good position to go into the draft with. Still need to grab 1, though.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
they had to do it, but the man is made of sugar glass. They have to draft a TE in the 2-4th rounds

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I expect him to be the 3rd TE in a row that Burrow gets paid. Still need to draft at least one.

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:13 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: They love signing players when most people are in bed.

Great signing though! This makes TE in the first not absolutely required (but still probably expected at this point).

Considering our tight end room is pretty much empty, I'd say tight end is still just as big of a need as it was before.

He's a solid run blocker and has shown flashes as as receiver, but he definitely has potential and I think he knows playing with Burrow can bring that out.

I also love that he had other offers but chose to play here because of the opportunity to win and to play with Burrow, Chase, and Higgins, as well as for the opportunity to win!

On a one-year deal, he's also putting an audition on tape for other NFL teams, so you know he's going to play hard and try to make the best of this opportunity.

If we do draft a tight end in the first round, I think the draft pick and Smith could be dangerous in two-tight end sets with Chase and Higgins out wide because how do you choose who to double or even shade while also keep a safety nearer to the line to help stop the run?!

GREAT SIGNING!

WHO-DEY!
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 01:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I expect him to be the 3rd TE in a row that Burrow gets paid. Still need to draft at least one.

Agreed and agreed. 

I would love to see what Burrow could do with a legitimately good TE.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Good get. Welcome.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 02:11 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Considering our tight end room is pretty much empty, I'd say tight end is still just as big of a need as it was before.

He's a solid run blocker and has shown flashes as as receiver, but he definitely has potential and I think he knows playing with Burrow can bring that out.

I also love that he had other offers but chose to play here because of the opportunity to win and to play with Burrow, Chase, and Higgins, as well as for the opportunity to win!

On a one-year deal, he's also putting an audition on tape for other NFL teams, so you know he's going to play hard and try to make the best of this opportunity.

If we do draft a tight end in the first round, I think the draft pick and Smith could be dangerous in two-tight end sets with Chase and Higgins out wide because how do you choose who to double or even shade while also keep a safety nearer to the line to help stop the run?!

GREAT SIGNING!

WHO-DEY!

I think he's coming here to potentially restart his NFL career. Winning is just a bonus.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 02:12 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I would love to see what Burrow could do with a legitimately good TE.

Ah we'll snag Bowers in the draft next year. Just bridging the gap until then. Only half-joking. Wink
Reply/Quote
I expect this is a one year signing in hopes of him re-setting his value next year. I still want to draft a TE in hopes of him being our future. Josh Whyle is who I'd like, in the 4th or 5th. Not to sound height-ist but I would love a taller, big body at TE to make contested catches. Irv Smith, when healthy, can provide some juice in the receiving game but is a bit on the smaller side at 6'3.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 02:15 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I think he's coming here to potentially restart his NFL career. Winning is just a bonus.
Definitely agree and that's why he's excited to play with Burrow, Chase, and Higgins: he knows that this offense will score a lot of points and give him the opportunity to show off his skills.

Winning is more than a bonus, IMCO, because teams will see his play as part of the machine or will give him more credit than he deserves, which see CJ as an example because he was good but a bigger payday because of how good Burrow made him look.
(03-28-2023, 02:25 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: I expect this is a one year signing in hopes of him re-setting his value next year. I still want to draft a TE in hopes of him being our future. Josh Whyle is who I'd like, in the 4th or 5th. Not to sound height-ist but I would love a taller, big body at TE to make contested catches. Irv Smith, when healthy, can provide some juice in the receiving game but is a bit on the smaller side at 6'3.

I don't think this changes our odds of taking a tight end in the first but I agree that he's just excited that he can use us (Burrow) to set-up his next contract, which I'm fine with.
Reply/Quote
The youngest TE UFA available at 24. Meniscus, groin, back, and thumb are some of this more recent injuries. So hopefully nothing chronic. Seems like the Vikings were always planning on getting him more involved and he always ended up hurt. I'm not mad about it. Now we have Asiasi and Irv fighting for the starting TE spot. A 3rd and 2nd round pick going into their 4th and 5th year respectively. Add two rookies from the group of about 20 TE prospects in this draft and I think we could end up having the best TE group we have had in awhile.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 03:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Key word at the end is opportunity, he will get PT at least as a TE2 in a great offense.  So, if he is healthy it's a good move for him and the only one left that made sense.  I think a lot of us wanted this health issues or not.  This is a big deal as it really opens the door for them to wait till the 3rd or 4th for TE (in a deep class) if BPA is there earlier.    
Reply/Quote
Smith was the best available TE at this point.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Good pick up at a desperately needed position. Hope he stays healthy.
Bengals have set themselves up to be able to take their highest rated player left at 28 now. Only a few (obvious) positions they won’t pick.
Reply/Quote