Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Angel’s Envy Rye Good Bourbon?
I won a bottle of Angel’s Envy Rye last night and don’t know anything about it.

My brother is a big bourbon drinker and his birthday is soon, so would this be a good present?
Reply/Quote
Well rye isn’t bourbon so let’s start there. Perhaps some knowledgeable folks can tell you if they think a bourbon drinker might enjoy it though.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2018, 08:49 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well rye isn’t bourbon so let’s start there.  Perhaps some knowledgeable folks can tell you if they think a bourbon drinker might enjoy it though.

It's whiskey.  

My mistake.  It's similar, though.
Reply/Quote
I like rye whiskey but I’m not a fan of angels envy. Too sweet

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 01:33 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: I like rye whiskey but I’m not a fan of angels envy.  Too sweet

Now that you say that, I'm remembering that I have had it and thought the same thing.

It seemed like too much and too complex of a taste, like there was too much to it.
Reply/Quote
Drink that shit and then his present can be showing him how drunk you can get. It’s my favorite gift to give.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 06:58 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Drink that shit and then his present can be showing him how drunk you can get. It’s my favorite gift to give.

No thanks.  That overly sweet liquor is going to leave one hell of a headache.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
That stuff is $100 a bottle, it better be good.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 02:11 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Now that you say that, I'm remembering that I have had it and thought the same thing.

It seemed like too much and too complex of a taste, like there was too much to it.

If you remember you don't like it and its expensive it will be a good gift.

1. you don't want it...   (so get rid of it)
2.  He might like it....
3. Worst case scenario he can display it somewhere.  If hes a big burbon drinker he probly has a nice showcase of bottles.  (with various amounts left)

Option B

Stick it on a Piano and now you have a Piano bar,.
Reply/Quote
I shouldn't have read this since I gave up drinking a few years ago . Actually it doesn't bother me to walk through the  liquor isle in stores anymore at all . I just think of how bad the last hangover felt. I had one last 4 days . The first two of which I kept hoping someone would break into the house and murder me for my money even though I was flat broke.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 08:53 PM)grampahol Wrote: I shouldn't have read this since I gave up drinking a few years ago . Actually it doesn't bother me to walk through the  liquor isle in stores anymore at all . I just think of how bad the last hangover felt. I had one last 4 days . The first two of which I kept hoping someone would break into the house and murder me for my money even though I was flat broke.. 

My old man was an alcoholic (but no, it didn't have any impact on what happened to me because I wasn't the one who initiated it), and so was his dad, and so was my mom's dad, so my family can hold their liquor pretty well.

I'm glad that you're handling yourself and that you gave it up.  

I remember all the things that happened with my old man when we were growing up and he's lucky to be alive (he never hit us or anything, though, just FYI).
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2018, 01:33 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: I like rye whiskey but I’m not a fan of angels envy.  Too sweet

DingDing

It's a mixer at best, for me.
Reply/Quote
I'll take it if he doesn't want it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 11:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Sounds like your dad could NOT hold liquor very well.

BTW I don't drink rye so I have no idea if this stuff is any good.  But if it is $100 a bottle it would make a very good gift.

What about my post indicated that my old man could NOT hold his liquor?

He could drink large amounts and be perfectly fine.

You’re talking shit about my family, so back it up because this is where I draw the line.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 03:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: What about my post indicated that my old man could NOT hold his liquor?

He could drink large amounts and be perfectly fine.

You’re talking shit about my family, so back it up because this is where I draw the line.

Fred probably didn't use the best word with 'hold' - because that is just the ability to consume it and remain functional, IMO.

I think handle (ie manage) would be a better word. I had an uncle that was an alcoholic. He could 'hold' his alcohol, but the mere fact that the alcohol had control over him (addiction) meant that he couldn't handle it.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 03:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Fred probably didn't use the best word with 'hold' - because that is just the ability to consume it and remain functional, IMO.

I think handle (ie manage) would be a better word. I had an uncle that was an alcoholic. He could 'hold' his alcohol, but the mere fact that the alcohol had control over him (addiction) meant that he couldn't handle it.

I still don't see how that changes it.

My father loved to drink, but that didn't mean it had control over him.  

Take for example after the wreck: if alcohol had control over him, he would have just drank non-stop to drown his sorrows, but he didn't.  Instead, he worked hard, was at the hospital when he wasn't working, would come home, work out (he has diabetes and everything that comes with that, so he works out daily to make sure he doesn't die), and didn't drink for a long time when I got out of the hospital, so he could manage his alcohol and it has no hod or control over him.  

Fred, once again, back up your words.  You said them, now own them.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 04:31 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I still don't see how that changes it.

Take for example after the wreck: if alcohol had control over him, he would have just drank non-stop to drown his sorrows, but he didn't.  Instead, he worked hard, was at the hospital when he wasn't working, would come home, work out (he has diabetes and everything that comes with that, so he works out daily to make sure he doesn't die), and didn't drink for a long time when I got out of the hospital, so he could manage his alcohol and it has no hod or control over him.  

Brad i don’t think he meant to be disrespectful. Although I can understand your sensitivity, don’t let it mean anything other than a simple error in word choice and I ask you to consider your post in which he responded.

I’ve never had the whiskey you are referring to, but have heard many responses that it was sweet. I think Crown Royal is pretty sweet and when I drink it, I have a huge hangover that almost always leads to “hair of the dog!” However, if it’s a $100 a bottle? I think I would risk it, lol. Regardless, I think it would be a good gift.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2018, 04:31 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I still don't see how that changes it.

Well then you also had a poor choice of words when you called him an alcoholic. If you are an alcoholic, then alcohol most certainly has a hold on you and controls you.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Post deleted.

Sorry to hear your dad was an alcoholic, Brad.
Reply/Quote
If you want to buy a bourbon lover a good bottle I suggest Markers Mark Cask Strength...but if you really want to put money into it get Pappy.

I was given a bottle of pappy van winkle as a present two years ago and when I have an exceptionally bad day I pour myself 3 fingers. Lol of course after that I go back to drinking white label Jim Beam.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote