Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Derwin James Off The Table Now?
Now that we're picking 21st in the first round, does that mean Derwin James is off the table for us to draft?

Would we trade up to get him?

I highly doubt that he lasts to 21 (I even thought he might go before 12), but, now that we have our left tackle, James would be perfect to take in the first round.

Anyone think he'll fall to 21? Should we trade up to make sure we get him?

I think we need to trade up if he makes it out of the top ten because he's a do-it-all playmaker that we need on defense.

What does everyone think this trade does for our hopes of landing James?
Reply/Quote
He wasn't going to last to 12 anyways.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 06:23 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: He wasn't going to last to 12 anyways.

I saw a lot of sites having him last to 12.

Do we trade up into the top ten to get him?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 06:25 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I saw a lot of sites having him last to 12.

Do we trade up into the top ten to get him?

When it is all said and done he is a top 5 pick.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 06:30 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: When it is all said and done he is a top 5 pick.

Do we trade up to five to get him?

SOMEONE ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTION!

Think about it.......  we have young corners, Atkins on the d line (along with Billings, MJ, Dunlap, Baker, Smith, etc.), and Burfict and Lawson at backer, so we have playmakers everywhere on D, except for safety, and James can play all over the field and make plays, so he'd complete our defense.

I doubt we will, but I think it would be HUGE to trade up to get him!
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 06:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Do we trade up to five to get him?

SOMEONE ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTION!

Think about it.......  we have young corners, Atkins on the d line (along with Billings, MJ, Dunlap, Baker, Smith, etc.), and Burfict and Lawson at backer, so we have playmakers everywhere on D, except for safety, and James can play all over the field and make plays, so he'd complete our defense.

I doubt we will, but I think it would be HUGE to trade up to get him!

No way, far too expensive to trade up that high and the Bengals value numbers over quality when it comes to draft picks 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
who knows people fall all the time and the one big gripe about him is that he fits that safety/linebacker discussion that teams get into. maybe someone falls down to mid teens and we move back up to get a guy. i could see us giving away a 3rd or 4th comp pick to move up. I really just don't see us investing a first round pick into a safety or linebacker its just not what they do.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Trading up in the first for a safety/big nickel guy does not seem like something that the Bengals would ever do. If they DID trade back up, I would assume that it would be for a linebacker should Smith or Edmunds fall.
Reply/Quote
No the Bengals should not trade back up for James IMO nor will he fall to 21. They are sitting pretty at 21 to finish off that OL with Wynn or Daniels.

Just imagine the OL of Glenn, Boling, Daniels/Wynn, Westerman, Fisher (or Andre if he’s back). Pretty enticing.

Or maybe Vander Esch or Gesicki?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I would say so. I don't see us trading back up. We traded back and we now have the opportunity to draft the best Olineman remaining without feeling bad about "worth" or "value" at the #12 pick. This trade could end up fixing our Oline singlehandedly.
Reply/Quote
To trade back up into the top 10 from 21 would be this year's first & second and next years first.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
This is prime will Hernandez range. I think James may fall but not likely. Think if anyone falls it could be vea and Ward.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 06:47 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: No way, far too expensive to trade up that high and the Bengals value numbers over quality when it comes to draft picks 
In the past, yes we have, but that's only because draft picks were cheaper than free agents (aside from top picks) and that was when Mike Brown was controlling things, which it seems like he has relinquished control to Marvin.
(03-12-2018, 07:00 PM)Okeana Wrote: who knows people fall all the time and the one big gripe about him is that he fits that safety/linebacker discussion that teams get into.  maybe someone falls down to mid teens and we move back up to get a guy.  i could see us giving away a 3rd or 4th comp pick to move up.  I really just don't see us investing a first round pick into a safety or linebacker its just not what they do.
See below.
(03-12-2018, 08:30 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Trading up in the first for a safety/big nickel guy does not seem like something that the Bengals would ever do. If they DID trade back up, I would assume that it would be for a linebacker should Smith or Edmunds fall.

It wouldn't normally be something the Bengals do, but James is a unique enough player that he would be worth it and could do so many things for our defense.

He's a ball hawk and a leader, he can play in the box or center field, he can cover tight ends, rush the passer, and he just has a non-stop motor.
Reply/Quote
I don't think James was ever on our radar to begin with -- we simply don't value the safety position enough to take one in the first round, much less to trade up in the first for one. If we liked James enough to move up for him, I doubt we would've traded the 12 in the first place.

Besides, this is a pretty deep safety class. Lots of guys available in 2 or later that could be an upgrade over what we have, either at FS (Reid, Edmonds in 2-3; Elliott, Bates in 3-4) or SS (Harrison, Whitehead in 2-3; White in 4).
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 06:30 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: When it is all said and done he is a top 5 pick.

ZERO chance of that happening.

Mark my words, here are the top 5 picks:

QB, RB, QB, QB, QB
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 11:54 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: ZERO chance of that happening.

QB, RB, QB, QB, QB

As long as it's not RB, QB, QB, QB, QB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 11:54 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: ZERO chance of that happening.

QB, RB, QB, QB, QB

you are high
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2018, 11:06 PM)Stewy Wrote: you are high

How so?

1.  Darnold
2.  Josh Rosen
3.  Josh Allen (team trades up)
4.  Barkley
5.  Mayfield

Hardly out of the question

Either way - there is no way in the world that Derwin James ends up as a top 5 pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:45 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: How so?

1.  Darnold
2.  Josh Rosen
3.  Josh Allen (team trades up)
4.  Barkley
5.  Mayfield

Hardly out of the question

Either way - there is no way in the world that Derwin James ends up as a top 5 pick.

Oh hell.  My apologies.  I misread (just reread) your post.  I thought those were your wish options for the bengals in the first round.  Again, apologies.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:17 PM)Stewy Wrote: Oh hell.  My apologies.  I misread (just reread) your post.  I thought those were your wish options for the bengals in the first round.  Again, apologies.

I figured that was what you meant.  No worries.  My post was more to the point that I can't see James in the top 5 under any circumstance.
Reply/Quote